Malaysia vs Indonesia Q-finals & line-up

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by stevenkok, May 11, 2004.

1. stevenkok

stevenkok New Member

Network Enginner
    Malaysia versus Indonesia Q-finals!!

Folks,

notice the way i put Malaysia first on the title..i am biased to some degree because i am a Malaysian living abroad. starting playing badminton as young as i can remember maybe 4-5 years old. I did well in the district and state level but never further than that..so many young talent at that time, i wonder where are some of those talent gone to...hopefully they will take the course and replace our seniors when they retired.

Anyway, this thread suppose to be the BIG match between Mal vs Ina. I really have a feeling this will be the turning point for Malaysia Thomas Cup team, who will eventually win the cup this year. All goes well with this win...we will march forward to face Den in the semi and slay the Dragons (Chinese) in the final to take the cup. Wong Choon Han and Roslin will be the winner i predict for tomorrow match. And i know our 3rd single (wonder who this will be Hafiz or the other chinese dude?) and 2nd double will fight to the end for the winning point 3-2..

Welcome any suggestions!!

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Malaysia Indonesia QF Lineups.

Any predictions of the Lineups guys?

1st Singles Wong CH vs Taufik Hidayat

1st Doubles ChanCM/KooKK vs Alven/Luluk

2nd Singles LeeCW vs Simon Santoso

2nd Doubles LeeWW/ChoongTF vs Candra/Trikush

3rd Singles HafizH vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro

3. stevenkok

stevenkok New Member

Network Enginner
    ants,

is the 2nd singles the real lineup..whatever happen to Roslin Hashim..?

my prediction is Wong Ch will take a point..not easy but possible...and somewhere another 2-3 points..I am sure the surprise score will be 4-1 for Malaysia...this time Malaysia will go all the way...

Malaysia boleh..pulun Indonesia pulun budak jawa!!

4. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

i see malasyia winning
    1. wong choong hahn vs sony dwi kuncoro
    2. roslin vs taufik
    3. lee chong wei vs. simon

they could win three singles right there, or at least two

the pressure is on taufik.

5. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    aren't they supposed to play according to ranking??? *blur*
    sony can play 3rd singles??? :confused:

6. khelben

khelben Regular Member

hmmm think this has to go according to rank so i'd say...

1st Singles Wong CH vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro

1st Doubles LeeWW/ChoongTF vs Alven/Luluk

2nd Singles HafizH vs Taufik Hidayat

2nd Doubles ChewCE/KooKK vs Candra/Trikush (I'm guessing Chew instead of Chan)

3rd Singles LeeCW vs Simon Santoso

7. anakin

anakin Regular Member

I think LeeCW's ranking is higher than HafizH. LeeCW (rank : 15) and HafizH (rank : 25). So, the 2nd and 3rd Singles should swap. :D

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Also How abut roslin? His experience will be vital for the Malaysia team.

1.WCHvs Sony =My vote WCH
    2.RoslinvsTaufik=Roslin(unless taufik does something special-doubtful)
    3.LCW/Hafizvs Simon=Mlaysia win

1.tan fook/wan wahvsINA pair=Malaysia win
    2.Chan/Kiat vs other ina pair=Indonesia win

My vote is 4-1 malaysia, but even if taufik does win, I still think it will be 3-2. Basically INA dont have a third singles (well, will lose anyway), there 2nd singles is tempaeramental, and the first singles ;acks experience of the event (in my opinion. The doubles is strong, but Luluk/alven are inexperienced, and eng/flandy not performed at thomas cup yet. candra and trikush cannot be relied for a point, but may cause surprise.

But INA are thomas cup kings, so I wouldnt rule out Sony unpsetting WCH (he is capable, especially as he will be fresh, so quicker). Also dont rule out tanfook/wanwah either getting injured or metally collapsing (AE final, against halim/trikush last TC), and of course taufik is easily capable of out pacing roslin, but can they do it when it counts, history says yes, form says no.

This is what is so exciting about the thomas cup, with top players playing top players anything can happen. We are also seeing the players playing "fresh" unlike in tournaments when we only see them after having played tough games on consecutive days. I am eagerly anticipating a fresh gade playing a fresh Lin, if it happens.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to know the present, we must examine the past. here is the result of the INA vs MAS TC 2002 final:

MARLEVE MAINAKY loss to WONG CHOONG HANN 5/7 5/7 1/7
    CANDRA WIJAYA, SIGIT BUDIARTO bt. CHAN CHONG MING, CHEW CHOON ENG 7/3 7/4 7/2
    TAUFIK HIDAYAT loss to LEE TSUEN SENG 7/1 5/7 2/7 7/2 3/7
    HALIM HARYANTO, TRI KUSH ARYANTO bt. LEE WAN WAH, CHOONG TAN FOOK 8/7 7/8 7/1 7/3
    HENDRAWAN bt. HASHIM M. ROSLIN 8/7 7/2 7/1

as we can see, Malaysia hardly changed since then, except LeeTS degraded but LeeCW has risen.

INA on the other hand, lost Marleve as well as Hendrawan but gained Sony, the other players are about the same.

imho, it will be tough for INA to beat MAS this time. Choong/Lee seems to be quite fired up lately and the 1st doubles from INA is relatively inexperienced.

but we also must remember, INA is playing at home. CHN came very prepared for the INA supporters, how'd MAS players do against the 8,000 strong crowd?

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Basically i think Malaysia is ready for the Indo Crowds. The singles should not have any problems. But i hope that the doubles will not break under pressure. I hope history will not repeat again.

11. belfastnole

belfastnole Regular Member

Before the match v china almost everyone believed that taufik would win his singles (natural talent, his boasts of victory , great record at home, reunited with coach, bao`s vulnerability )is the faith placed in him starting to weaken?

12. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

Hendrawan is A LOT better than simon santoso. Remember how he wasted peter gade at the world championships? how he made xia xuanze look like a fool at the olympics. His position as 3rd singles basically gave a free point to indonesia. they could sacrifice first singles as marleve was probably weaker than hendrawan.

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yes, I agree with Nrill9. The difference is in the 3rd single. INA and MAS splits the points in the 2 doubles and first 2 singles. And it comes down to the 3rd single, and Lee CW beats Simons. If INA get eliminated in the quarterfinal, hope there won't be any riots in Jakata.

14. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    1st singles: sony lose to wong
    my heart says sony but my head says wong..

1st doubles: luluk/alven bt choong/lee
    very difficult to call, the head to head is 1-1, indo won at swiss open semifinals and i'm inclined to go with luluk/alven here..

2nd singles: taufik bt roslin
    i actually think taufik will take this particular one, because he'll be motivated for revenge... just need to remind him how **** he played vs bao AND in 2002 vs tsuenseng... i think he's at his best when he wants revenge..

2nd doubles: candra/trikus bt chan/koo
    could argue that flandy/eng will play instead, but i fancy candra/trikus to play. barring a disaster they should beat chan/koo.

3rd singles: simon bt chong wei
    i'll stick me head out here, but everyone expects simon to lose, he'll be the underdog, and i won't be surprised if he pops a win. we have really missed hendrawan here...

so, i have a very optimistic prediction of indo to win 4-1 :D :D :D

15. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Nah you're right HongHong, if Sony's going to play, he has to play first singles. If Sony and Taufik are going to play, the have to play 1 and 2 respectively, maybe ants is too obsessed over Malaysia to think about Indonesia properly.

16. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

well sony sucks against wong ch

but then again, wong ch appears to be modeling or something and is not performing well recently.

17. Atlec

Atlec Regular Member

My prediction is Malaysia vs China in Final.

18. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Similar Composition as SEA Games

Indonesia and Malaysia almost have the same line up as the SEA Games recently, except Roslin is out, and Hafiz+Lee Tsuen Seng are in. Indonesia with the young players like Sonny and Simon were proven too strong for the Malaysian team then. Even at the SEA Games Indonesia put a young pair of Hendra/Markis Kido who won against Malaysia's senior pair.

Sonny beat Choong Hann in the men's team and in the final of individual.

Simon managed to beat Roslin twice, in team and individual events. Well, have to admit that if Simon will be the decider, I really can't say Indonesia will win, just hoping. But he's definitely the dark horse, beating great names in badminton.

I say the chance is 60:40 for Indonesia. Indonesia will win 3-2 :D

To kawan-kawan (friends) in Indonesia and Malaysia, PLEASE record the games if you could and share with us here who can't even get news about it on our TV :(

Here's the result of SEA Games semifinal:
    Indonesia - Malaysia 3-2
    Sonny vs Choong Hann 15-10, 15-7
    Luluk/Alven vs Lee/Choong 15-12, 15-5
    Simon vs Roslin 8-15, 17-14, 15-11
    Chew Choon Eng-Chang Kim Wai vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan 10-15, 15-8, 15-9
    Lee Chong Wei vs Wimpie Mahardi 15-10, 15-7

Ayo Indonesia! Malaysia pun boleh!!!

19. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    hehehe... he made me confused....
    because i remember someone said previously they play according to ranking :)
    so sony as the highest ranking in indonesia, he has to play 1st singles... if taufik play 1st, tat means sony don have to play... but it's risky to take away an experience player to replace with inexperience player in quarter :rolleyes:

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Almost 50:50 chance

I was very disappointed with Indon players for their performance against China. Definitely not TC Defending Champion stuff. Do you realize that except for doubles, all singles players sort of gave up the 2nd set. I can understand Simon doing it, but surely not Taufik/Sony?
    They just don't possess Hendrawan's spirit - I still remember Hendrawan battle against Peter Gade in 2000 s-finals in KL. He lost, but Gade did not have it easy. Because of that, Indon still won because other players followed Hendrawan's lead and took the fight to Denmark.

So, cannot say for sure if Indon can win tonight.

1st singles - Sony vs Wong (too close to call, Wong has better attack and slight advantage if Sony gives up early) 0-1
    1st doubles - Luluk/Alven vs Choong/Lee (Indon pair has advantage, Luluk makes too many mistakes so far and needs to be calm. Choong/Lee can counter with experience) 1-1
    2nd singles - Taufik vs Roslin/Chong Wei (Taufik SHOULD win, no question or excuses entertained) 2-1
    2nd doubles - Chandra/Trikus vs Chew/Koo (Indon pair to win, unless they take M'sian pair too lightly) 3-1
    3rd singles - Simon vs Hafiz (M'sia to win)

So its most important for Indon to wrap the tie before third singles. M'sia did it in 92 when they won on the strength of 2 singles/2 doubles. If its 2-2, Indon need miracle.