Listing of 'Closed Threads'

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2009.

1. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Do you honestly think that one needs to have his accounts registered few years ago to know what's going on in those 'locked threads'?

If I remember correctly, you don't need to log into/register an account to read posts in BC and there's nothing in BC that is stopping a new member from reading posts that were dated back in 2003.

It's ok cooler. If you think what you did was right, carry on. You don't have to agree with me. After all, I merely stated my opinions.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    everyone, i am going to sound like a broken record again. but here it is.

in a environment like BC where everyone is allowed to give their opinion. it is up to everyone to help keep the discussion civilized and constructive.

in order to do that, almost everytime, it is not what is said that is important, but instead how one say it.

no matter how "right" you are, no matter how much you know, if what is being said is done in a manner that appears to be rude, arrogant, sarcastic, etc, then everyone will start to jump on you.. i give a very simple example.

A: "i believe that 1+1=2. to illustrate that, we can put one orange here, and then another next to it, and then if we count the total, we get 2. if you don't understand, let me know and we will explain further"

B: "of course 1+1=2 you stupid idiot, i have degree in mathematics and i have been in this forum for 20 yrs and i am always right and you cannot accused me of being wrong."

both person try to convey the same message, but person A conveys it much more effectively in this discussion environment.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one more point.

in a global discussion forum like BC, it is inevitable that you will run into somebody with a personality that you cannot bear. if you find that to be a problem, you can either:

1. ignore this person - which i must admit is a hard thing to do

2. put that person in your ignore list - as mentioned in previous posts in this thread, the forum software has a ignore list feature. make use of it.

someone wonder if one can ignore a thread, unfortunately we don't have such a feature, and unlikely it will be implemented unless if the new software has it. we will have to wait a couple of months and see.

as of right now, ignore list is the best way to do it.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    You had brought up a very contentious (don’t know I had used the right word) matter that every forum admin/moderator in cyberspace trying to manage. If u try to moderate a forum purely on presentation nicety and not content validity, then u r steering this forum toward a social and group chat setting, and home for a few fraudsters/spinners as long as they can write nice and eloquently. If you want BF to be a depository of valuable badminton information, discussion and debate, then invalid statements must be questioned and challenged or else BF would become just a depository of noise, useless or wrong information. In some incidents, someone comes in and make bold and arrogant claim, it is not a surprise to see similar type of replies. However, it often that poster who made the reply gets the bum wrap for sounding too abrasive. Also, if a topic that being been discussed and contain incorrect information that wasn’t challenged, then that thread will go on and on which usually lead to thread closing. Unresolved discussion only lead to more thread(s) being open up later on and same thing get repeated. The reason BC has 55,000+ members because most people join only to read its content and maybe ask 1 or 2 questions (or sell 1 or 2 used items). I believe content clarity and value is the main draw to attract new members and to hold them. If a long technical topic thread contains mostly noise, then it is a discouragement for those who want to find, read and learn from the selected topic.

I have seen many come and gone, mostly of those who couldn’t stand the scrutiny imposed on them by some BF members. Of course, there were some who also left BF for other reasons, maybe it’s not their flavor, university, work, marriage, etc. However, what concern me is the most is the withdrawal from technical discussion by certain members who I think have valuable information to contribute. It is maybe possible that most of the key topics have been discussed and they are just lying low. It maybe also because that they don’t want to risk saying it the wrong way so they clam up. I’m not sure, I did not ask them.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are attempting to twist my words.

we are trying to moderate the forum such that useful information can be expressed in a polite and civil manner.

for those who are knowledgeable, say it in a nice way. if one know a bunch of stuff, why come out arrogant and rude? it makes much more sense to express it so it can be accepted.

for those who are seeking knowledge, or those who are less informed, polite ask for and accept new knowledge from others. no one knows everything, everyone need to learn from others.

that's the goal of the forum.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    people come and go for various reasons, as you mentioned.

the "natural" reasons like change of hobby/interests and life events from badminton is nobody's fault, we cannot do anything about.

however, there are those who are scared away by arrogant and rude technical and non-technical discussions. very few people wants join any forums in which everyone are rude. regardless of whether they have right or wrong thing to say.

and if that does happen, then it is not healthy. we want people to come here to discuss, so everyone can learn from each other, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. nobody is right all the time.

i hope our goal is not something difficult to understand.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..for this..

..will the Unsubscribe/Subscribe to thread feature work also (to ignore a thread)??..:confused:

Personally, i think BC has provided a lot of avenues, functions/features and enough wiggle room for members to express themselves. But when all said and done, it's really all up to each individual to make use of those features effectively. Doing so, will not only help the forum but it'll definitely help out kwun and the mods.:cool:

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Arrogant posters spoil our discussions sometimes

This is so very true. :(:(:(

I have been told that many BCers wanted to reply/post their opinions but changed their minds. They got scared away by unfriendly and rude posters who only want to argue.

Sharing own opinions is a good thing. But arrogant posters spoil our discussions sometimes.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

The most important thing is that, we must know how to control our emotions when posting. Yes, this is life. This world have happy and sadness ending. We all here are not 3 years old kid anymore. Everyone here i believe is mature enough and know how to think properly though.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

That thread is now closed (locked)

It's so disappointing and frustrating. :(:(:(

Went back to a thread because of wanting something to talk about; but found that that thread is now closed (locked):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82635
    '

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When I pressed the 'Submit Reply' button, it says 'This thread is now closed'

It's so disappointing and frustrating again. :(:(:(

Went to this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83302

Read the last few later posts. Then, spent some time to think how to reply one of the posts. Spent some time typing out my reply.

When I pressed the 'Submit Reply' button, it says 'This thread is now closed'.

Total time wasted: Approximately 30 minutes. :mad::mad::mad:

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Closed/locked??..^^

..looks like it's open...i missed them, but maybe those non-sense and useless posts had been deleted?..:confused:

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

That thread is open though,.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    10 Downing St

Classic case of mod with trigger-happy tendencies? Woe be the day the word 'minister' warrants a day's ban.

17. godonovan

godonovan New Member

Life and Executive Coach Trainer
    I think we should take responsibility on what we posts.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Indiana Jones ......... :p

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member