BAM in a MESS! 2010

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, May 14, 2010.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I dunno who these junior players are or how good are they? One thing I am certain, in 3 years time, these players are 21 - 24, prime time I suppose. LD and LCW are gone, MAS need a new money king and badminton needs a new king so these kids better take note that it is open warfare for everyone. It is quite unfortunate for those players in this era facing auguably the most successful badminton player in the history of the game, so when LD is gone, the throne is open for someone to usurp. Lucky for those players coming up and not so lucky for those playing against LD now and TH before.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i dont know who are uncle otb talking about and how they are going to change to men single player after won the world junior MD champion;)
    sorry uncle

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Malaysia is a small country with a small population when compared with China. To be anywhere close to a badminton powerhouse Malaysia must have a much higher badminton players to total population density or ratio, ala Denmark, to avoid becoming a has been in a few decades' time.

Yes, it is good that more attention and exposure be given to the juniors now. But even this is a drop in the ocean. How many juniors do you have? What is the total number of junior players do you have at the Bukit Jalil School? Is it a 100,000?
    A better and a more comprhensive plan is to have a mini Bukit Jalil type of badminton school within the main school of every school in the country. This way you have an integrated production chain, from birth to retirement. Instaed of waiting for a LCW type once in a blue moon you can have many LDs and LCWs in the making, perhaps at least 10,000!
    But this concept will not be welcomed by national coaches because of their narrow focus to concentrate on just the top national players. This is a conceptual contradiction. Giving too much power to the national coaches and trainers in funds allocation and utilization is money down the drain.
    Malaysia has to look at the BIG PICTURE and the big picture covers areas that are a few hundred times bigger than the national team.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Feedback from all the players gives the following reasons for their poor performance :

1. Culturally, Malaysian players are not as strong mentally as the Chinese and the Koreans.

2. There was too much disturbance from the media and the surroundings around the location they were living.

3. The motivation camp was held too close to the finals.

4. They blame their loss to Japan on a lost opportunity to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed to turn up for their tie against Malaysia.

5. They were not given the type of 2-weeks training in complete isolation from the outside world the way both China and Korea do it routinely.

Also the coaches were singled out for blame for the injuries to the two leading women players suffered as a result of training at the military camp.

The players also blame themselves for their shortcomings.

What do you chaps think? How come the players did not mention anything about those BAM management members that many of you are quick to blame?
    Next to be asked will be all the coaches. This will be interesting. You think the coaches will pass the buck up to BAM management or down to the players, or take some blame themselves?

It will really be interesting if the players and the coaches start blaming each other or have very different views of what caused their poor performance.

To put it in perspective, the players and coaches can only give their views about what went wrong, but not what should be done to make the country a badminton powerhouse. This is for the BAM management. Is anyone now suggesting that more ex-national players than non-players be given a role in BAM's management. They will all be out of their depth.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The Malaysian team cannot blame Nigeria for failing to turn up

One thing for sure - The Malaysian team cannot blame their loss to Japan on a lost opportunity to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed to turn up. :(:(:(

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is what really surprised the president of BAM but he has to listen to all the views from all parties. I am sure a lot of silly excuses will be given. The difficult part is for BAM to go through all these inputs and really make some sense out of them, which is necessary to take corrective actions.
    The stadium is a Malaysian stadium and I am sure Malaysian players know the stadium much better than the Japanese. This leads me to believe maybe our players are not only weaker in a cultural mental toughness sense but also in showing some maturity.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think there was a report quoting Hafiz, saying there was limited opportunity to practice at the venue before the TC started. Perhaps somebody can find it for me. It did strike me as being odd that players could not utilise home ground advantage more.

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    MAS players had been praticing over a week at that stadium..INA had a chance to use that court on saturday only for 2 hours..
    It is not right to use that excuse...MAS players had more chances than others in term of using the stadium..

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Fair enough then. I only had access to limited information.

10. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    result from post-TC meeting with the players?

I am not looking down on our own team, but it is best to say we are not good enough to win. end. Question on who should be responsible for being not good enough is the tricky one.

Common sense, it starts with the big boss. There's no enough logic to make comparison and say BAM has done good enough. The result speaks for itself. Players and coaches come and go, and it's all they to decide.

If the players complaint too much, to the extend of being ridiculous, who is at first give the players too much power over the rules?
    If the players are truly big-headed, who is at first had the big talk prior to the big tournament and give the wrong mindset to the players?

I say IF, because I am myself an outsider and didn't know much of the inside problem. But wasn't that sickening to see all the blame goes to the coaches and the players? "The whole line up wasn't good enough to win" is a fact, but whose fault is that?

So, no way BAM will get way to give bad names to the players. We know what we read.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The players themselves should know why they lost. And BAM should be strict on the players.

12. terry

terry Regular Member

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/BAM_playersmustnotblamejournalists/Article/

KUALA LUMPUR: The Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) today lashed out at the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for taking the easy way out by pointing their fingers at journalists among reasons for their Thomas Cup failure. SAM president Ahmad Khawari Isa said instead of taking the easy way out by pointing fingers at others, BAM must analyse the actual reasons for the failure of the Thomas and Uber Cup teams.

"Based on our observation throughout the preparation period and during the tournament proper, journalists and the local media played a major role in writing positive and inspiring articles and remained ''friends'' of the players and BAM," said Khawari in a statement here today.

SAM's reaction came about following BAM president Datuk Mohd Nadzmi Salleh's claim that players had cited the presence of journalists as one of the reasons for their failure as they had claimed that their presence and reports in the news had disrupted their preparations.

The Thomas Cup team had lost 0-3 to China in the semifinals while the Uber Cup team lost 0-3 to Indonesia in the quarterfinals.

Nadzmi who met the players yesterday during a post-mortem to find out reasons for their poor showing in the Thomas and Uber Cup finals, said the players had also suggested that meetings with journalists were limited to once a week.

Khawari said meeting players after training sessions has been a practice among journalists for decades and was nothing new, neither had players claimed that such meetings had disrupted national players.

"With players having achieved status as professionals and given so much attention by the government, they must be more responsible in shouldering such responsibilities rather than regarding the media as a ''nuisance''," he said.

It is sad to observe that current national players have such amateurish behaviour and mentality, compared with players of the past, who had always welcomed the media during their practice sessions, he said.

SAM hopes BAM would handle the situation rationally instead of making hasty accusations that can tarnish the good relationship that had existed all these years, he said. -- BERNAMA

13. terry

terry Regular Member

Lucky they didn't said MAS fans over supportive?!?!

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

True to form, the Press always comes out fighting to defend their paparazzi.
    But are they not jumping the gun? BAM is just beginning to get feedback from everyone, starting with all the Players with no holds barred, to be followed by all the coaches, officials, etc. They are just in the gathering of information phase and has not even finished gathering all the information yet, let alone analysing and then finding out what are the probable reasons for the poor performance. Yet the Press is jumping to the conclusion that BAM is blaming them for being too "paparazzi". Even the president of BAM is saying he is rather surprised at the feedback from the players. This is very different from saying that the Press is the culprit.
    In many sports players are advised not to give any interviews to the press for a certain period before the game, unless authorised. Perhaps both Korea and China keep a tight leash on any paparazzi-just try to throw questions at LYB and you might get a slap in the face.:confused:

My gut feel is that the findings will conclude that the Chinese were simply too good, due to a variety of reasons. That loss to Japan is a tricky one. That incident about having two key Uber Cup players, picking up injuries serious enough to rule them out from competing, will come down hard on the coach or coaches who were responsibe for running the military camp.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..wow, what a thread....oh well, if only Pemuda is here; actually, he harped on this before...:p

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    How come nothing is said about the BAM boss? Doesn't he know that he maybe the problem? Perhaps another leader can make some changes and improve on the current state.

18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i think nobody dare to point the fingers at him......imho;)

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    they dont want crazy fans to vandal their house and car lah:p

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i think 90% of msian think so... but as usual Msian Politician faces thicker than crocs skins...