Are Tibetans a subspecies of us?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, May 17, 2010.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Have you ever wondered why Tibetans can thrive living in very high altitudes?
    In the recent earthquakes in Qinghai China Tibetan monks could work non-stop rescuing trapped victims. The lowlands Chinese soldiers had a hard time keeping up with them. Some soldiers even suffered from serious high altitude sickness.
    The highest altitude I have experienced was 4,000 meters. Normal walking was not a problem for me even at this altitude. But when I tried running up a flight of about 3-storey stairs I felt as if my thighs and feet were weighed down by lead. My breathing became harder.
    Now scientists have found the secrets of how the Tibetans could live a life in the highlands that is just as vigorous as people in the lowlands, and the answer lies in their new genes they have evolved, see www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100513143453.htm

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Yeap..the way u are saying this,makes it understandable.Human body can evolve,so does genes.Just like the eskimos,the first few generations might find it harder to cope with the conditions,but after some generations,they might change.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The Tibetans are a great subspecies (if they are) - they herd goats, live to the ideals of Buddhism, follow a life of virtue and occasionally cheer for their favourite World Cup team.

The subspecies that are a menace however, are the ones that co-habit with others like us around the planet - they can be identified by the following characteristics:

- inability to perceive the colour red of traffic lights
    - compulsive behaviour to talk or press things during moments when concentration is of paramount importance. e.g driving
    - lousy eyesight that always results in a mis-toss of rubbish into waste bins
    - blindspots in their eye vision that causes them to rush ahead of people or vehicles who are , quite frankly there before them

Tibet rules.

#3 wilfredlgf, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

On a short term ie. per individual, it is called adaptation.
    It has been known for decades in endurance sports (eg. marathon, Tour de France) that training at high altitudes help to increase the hemoglobin levels in the blood. This "blood doping" is completely legal and natural, and allows the body to adapt to the thinner air by extracting more oxygen per unit volume of blood.

On a longer term ie. many generations, it is called evolution, or natural selection.

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Cool facts, Taneepak

Im not sure if Nepalese can also included in this category, personally i have a Nepalese friend (we used to work in the same restaurant years ago) and one night we decided to have a bit of fun and try to split a watermelon with a kitchen knife. And to my amaze this skinny Nepalese guy can split the watermelon in ONE stroke, none of us could do it except him, including the big aussie bloke.

Further investigation reveals that he belongs to the Sherpas clan who lives in the Himalayas. The same clan that help Sir Edmund Hillary conquered the Everest peak for the first time, he was accompanied by a Sherpa called Tenzing Norgay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherpa

Should they play badminton i bet TH smash record will be under tread :)

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Sounds like your hating on people for very ignorant reasons. People who don't excel in certain areas of life are able to have advantages in others. Do you think Stevie wonder/Andrea Bocellii would be so talented if they were not blind? Do you know how many genius's experience success in their field because they are obsessive compulsive? I have Tourette's syndrome myself, and the disability is for more complicated than what you perceive.

I've been reading a lot of posts (including those of yours) and generally don't post very much - but I couldn't help but respond to this. You lost my respect, not cool dude.

#6 ploppers, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  7. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    "subspecies"? I think not. Tibetans for me are one of the human races, like Filipinos, Chinese, Eskimos. For me, they are not lower in form. They are Homo Sapiens Sapiens, too. Well their bodies amazingly adapt how to live in such extreme environment condition. As the altitude rises, the amount of oxygen in air decreases. The mountaineers need oxygen tanks in order to keep up with the oxygen level they used to have in lowlands. I say like Abebe Bekila (sorry if missed spelled) a man from Africa. He has a tough endurance so he can run marathon race in Olympics. His environment in Africa made him that strong. Of course, he trains himself.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You're cooler or drifit's brother by any chance? :)

I suggest you really read what I listed in point form and then respond again.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    my head was dizzy when I swam in johannesburg. ;)

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm sure he didn't mean subspecies to be a derogatory term.
    though i can understand why it might be interpreted that way.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The study also says that mountain people living in the Andes mountains in South America and Ethiopians living in the Ethiopian mountains at similar elevations as the Tibetans in China, have adapted to the low oxygen high altitude living, but they did not evolve special new genes like the Tibetans.
    This is very interesting.
    The Sherpas living in Nepal live at lower elevations than the Chinese Tibetans although there are some Tibetan Sherpas who live at similar altitude in Nepal as the Chinese Tibetans (5,000m) in Qinghai China. It is likely these Nepalese Tibetans may have also evolved these high altitude genes.

12. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Well unfortunately it's hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is not on the internet. I'm glad you removed the last point, but in general - if it was just a sarcastic joke, not great taste in my books.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I moved the last point, as it was offensive.

The other points were, I believe lighthearted humour at bad drivers & litter throwers...