Footwork to the front corners

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jonokhor, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jonokhor

jonokhor Regular Member

Application Programer
    Hi everyone

This question is in reference to Gollum's excellent Badminton Bible on footwork to the front corners (and I'm right handed).

I notice that I am doing what is described for moving to the the front backhand corner:

-> Split drop
    -> Push off right foot to step forward with left
    -> Lunge with right foot.

However for the front forehand corner, I:
    -> Split drop
    -> Push off LEFT foot which makes my right foot move a little bit towards the corner
    -> Step (cross over) with my left foot
    -> lunge with right foot.

Am I taking an extra step that is not needed in here?

Thanks!

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I think that in this situation it would be better not to take that extra step. As a general rule, you want to avoid throwing in small, extra movements. For example, it's faster to use two long steps than three short ones.

(There are exceptions to this rule, by the way.)

However, I think I need to explain this concept of "pushing off" more clearly. It's a tricky subject, and I need to think about it more. For one thing, I should distinguish better between "pushing off" and "shifting your weight".

For now, I'd suggest the following:

• Try to avoid taking an extra, small step.
    • However, if you can "push off" with your left foot without taking an extra step, then that's fine.

3. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

you dont want to be caught with incomplete steps in the front corners as they hamper your reach to the net and thus ur ability to attack the net decisively. two complete and steps, a left foot forward than a deep lunge. i used to have the opposite problem, i simply lunged from base with this small shuffle from my non-racket foot, and that hurt my game a lot, along with my feet,ankle and my trailing shoe

4. jonokhor

jonokhor Regular Member

Application Programer
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. This will be a habit I'll have to break =P

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    You can push off with your left foot first and still have sound footwork. Look at time 0:56-57 on this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ouqUC_NF4

peter gade does what you described. (btw this was literally me clicking the first youtube badminton vid i saw, I'm sure i can find this movement in any match)

A lot of footwork cannot be generalized to work the BEST for every situation, it depends on the speed/angle/ positioning of the last shot and you own positioning. Gollum's guide is excellent as a generally "safe" and sound method for every shot, but there exists better methods for specific situation in advanced play. The problem for moving to the forehand right corner though is that too take a left foot step first, you end up having to turn your waist 180 degrees clockwise then 180 degrees counterclockwise, which may mess up your next shot, hence why some people teach the crossover step.

edit: a better example in the same vid is at 3:01-3:03. But notice gade has MANY MANY different ways to move to the forehand front corner, all of which seem to "flow" well.

#5 t3tsubo, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In the footwork guide (as it presently stands), I'm only looking at the footwork from a "standard" base position, standing in the centre of the court and slightly back, with your feet about side-by-side, the racket foot slightly ahead.

In the Gade examples above, the movement is from a base position nearer the net, and is more of a chasse than a running step.

There are of course many different situations, and correspondingly many different ways of moving. However, certain combinations do not work well together.

If you are using a "split, left, right" pattern of movement (that's steps, not chasses), then -- if possible --you want to avoid taking an extra, small initial step with your right foot.

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Ya true, I thought the OP was reffering to chasse steps not normal steps in his post. If he is doing normal steps then it isn't necessary to move the right foot at the start since 2 steps can already cover 3/4 of the court.

8. jonokhor

jonokhor Regular Member

Application Programer
    Ah, this is why I love BC. There are so many good points :D

I relate to what both t3tsubo and Gollum describe. In a standard base position, I notice that it's easier to do the standard footwork outlined by Gollum, and the standard footwork works pretty well.

However in a game (and I play mostly doubles), most of the time I'm not in a standard base position. So sometimes my right foot is a little bit more in front if I don't have to cover the side court too much. Subsequently if I was to try to cross over with my left foot, I would not be moving directly to the corner but sort of moving forwards and then sideways. This feels strange to me as I'm moving sideways by crossing over with my left foot.

The little step I take with my right foot in this case is to reposition myself so that my cross over is in a straight line to the corner (or shuttle).

So what I'm trying to figure out is should I correct my base so that it's not too biased towards a forward-back movement, or should I change the way I move to the corner?

9. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    doing a step first is okay if you're doing crossover/chasse steps, look at 3:01 of the vid i posted before, Gade is pretty much in the base position Gollum described and he takes a small step to the front before stepping with his left foot diagonally towards the corner, done so that he can reposition himself for a more "explosive" set of steps.

This of course, is a different movement than the one in Gollum's guide, but it works if you center of gravity just happens to be leaning that way for that shot.

But in the situation you describe, especially since it is doubles, I have to just say do whatever feels right. If you are anticipating a front back movement, you can "cheat" a bit by favoring that in your base "ready position": that is no problem. Also, if taking that little step means getting there a shade slower but it is more comfortable and you are more "in flow" or balanced when you reach the shuttle, then it is undoubtedly better since you will be more comfortable with your following shot.

10. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

their is usually a difference between wat gade does and wat others do. the danish rely more on the explosive movement of the racket foot

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I wouldn't say Gade is doing anything unusual here. You can see the same kind of movement in any (good) singles match.

And I do actually mention this "split, chasse, lunge" pattern in my footwork guide. It's listed under "Variations --> Chasse steps / The forehand 'reversed cross-over' " on the front corners page.

One thing I haven't explained yet, which this thread has brought to mind, is that a chasse blends smoothly into a "reversed cross-over" (left foot crosses behind right): they are essentially the same movement, in that they are used in the same situation and have the same kind of push-off. The only real difference is in the length of stride.

At least, that's true for moving to the forehand net corner, and for moving sideways to the forehand midcourt area.

#11 Gollum, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  12. jonokhor

jonokhor Regular Member

Application Programer
    Oh I get it! So if crossing over with my left foot in front is going to move me in the wrong direction, I could cross over behind. I'll try out these options and see which one works better for me.

Thanks everyone!

13. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Looking at 1:13 - 1:15 from the back corner to the diagonal almost front corner, it actually looks like a chassé footwork at last??? I mean I would not expect that in this situation, properly the shuttle is not that far to the corner as I think it is!

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

He starts with running steps, and finishes with a chassé. This is quite a common general pattern:

• Steps recovery, move to next shot with a chassé; or
    • Chassé recovery, move to next shot with steps

15. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Jonokhor = the scientist I know?

16. jonokhor

jonokhor Regular Member

Application Programer
    Haha no... I'm hardly a scientist :p

17. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    thanks Gollum, (sorry the long response time had a harddrive that killed my pc for a while)!

recovery = correction step ? what is the actually goal of it? It actually looks like that he stops and speeds down! On the other side it would not be handy, if he keept running straigth into the net, lol!

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Moving forward is moving forward

To have 'Efficient Badminton Footwork' is to have 'Efficient Dancing Movement' when moving (making steps) on the Badminton court.

Moving forward is moving forward. It doesn't matter if you are moving forward straight, to the left, or to the right.

Just 2 days ago, we had a session on 'Footwork (to move forward to the net)'
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1420949#post1420949

Recommendation: It doesn't matter if you are moving forward straight, to the left, or to the right. It should be the same.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

By "recovery", I mean the movement you make after hitting your shot, but before the opponent's next shot. You normally have a "pause" -- the split drop/split step -- in the middle. So the sequence is typically like this:

• Move to the shuttle
    • Play your shot
    • Recover towards a base position to help you cover your opponent's possible shots
    • Split drop as opponent plays his shot
    • Move to the shuttle