if I were LCW

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by AlanY, Mar 15, 2010.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

With the AE title safely in his pocket, Lee Chong Wei has won the following SS-level titles:
    Malaysia
    Korea
    AE
    Swiss
    Singapore
    Indonesia
    Japan
    Denmark (back in 2005)
    French
    Hong Kong

To add the other smaller titles (GP Gold level) like:
    Badminton Asia Championships
    Malaysia
    Macau
    Chinese-Taipei
    Philippines

The 2 remaining SS he has yet to win are obviously those that are held in China...the closest he came to was the China SS 2007.

So, he may well skip the rest of the SS tourneys and focus on the World Championships in August & the Asian Games in Guangzhou in Nov.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Alright, I misunderstood your post. The way you said 'get bundled out in the first round or second round' made it seemed like he would purposely lose. I got it now, thank you for your clarification. ;)

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..technically, if we're to consider only SS tourneys, he hasn't won all of those.
    So far, he's won the following SS:
    M'sia Open
    Korea Open
    All England Open
    Swiss Open
    Indonesia Open
    S'pore Open
    Japan Open
    French Open
    Hong Kong Open

So, he's still missing 3 SS:
    Denmark Open and the 2 China Open SS.

Of course, that's if BWF doesn't add 1 or 2 more new SS tourneys.

Maybe he should come to the U.S. and win the U.S. Open this yr??:confused::cool:

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

If he could win the Denmark SS and the two China SS, he will be the first player to complete the collection :)

But the most important is still a WC

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Maybe yes n maybe not. He shd entertain his fans more. Not like the other guy saying he need to focus n yet lost the game. I wonder what other excuse he can come up with. the fans deserve to watch the best In action. Not allowing wannabe mgrs to manage him. ;)

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

To continue the thread's title sentence.

If i were LCW, i will skip the swiss open(which i already skipped, and i think that's a good idea), to give myself some rest 1st before continue training for the thomas cup and to achieve more major tournaments in the future:cool:
    Also, i'm very happy because maybe:)D) i already manage to silence those who said i can't win the All England and those majors title, those who said i'm a useless world ranking number 1 player, and those who always criticize me here and there before and after a tournament. And man, i already manage to keep their big mouth shut!:p

Besides, to those who also like to give excuses like, i no need to play against any chinese players en route to win this tournament, whatever it is, i'm already the champion of the 100th ae title, already in the record book. For what i wanna bother them. the most important thing is that i already manage to silence them:D

For now, i just wanna get some good rest before coming back to training again.
    Look at my pics below, i'm so happy. And i'm sure those Malaysians also will be very happy of my win in All england:):D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goosh, i just can't stop looking at those pics.:D;);)

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Btw guys, this is probably the BEST answers to this thread;)
    Have a read at it.

Lee Chong Wei in seventh heaven

WORLD No. 1 Lee Chong Wei is in seventh heaven after realising his dream of becoming the All-England champion in his seventh attempt in Birmingham on Sunday. He defeated Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-19, 21-19 in a tight final at the National Indoor Arena. It has been a challenging journey but one that the 28-year-old will always remember. He goes on record as the 100th champion of the world’s oldest badminton tournament. He talks to Starsport’s RAJES PAUL and tells how he lived up to the expectations after many past frustrations and what the future holds for him and the Malaysian badminton team.
    [​IMG] Thanks for the support: Lee Chong Wei shaking hands with Malaysian fans after winning the All-England title in Birmingham on Sunday. — AFP

> HOW does it feel to become the champion that you always wanted to be?
    It is an indescribable feeling. In my first All-England in 2003, Hafiz (Hashim) won the title while I was a first-round casualty.
    I had a heart-to-heart talk with coach Misbun (Sidek) and told him how much I wanted to win the All-England. He promised to make it happen for me if I was willing to give full commitment in training.
    For the last few years, I returned home very disappointed ... always losing to a Chinese.
    On the eve of the final against Tago, I could not sleep that well. I was restless as I did not want to go back without the title. I still cannot believe that I have won it. It has not really sunk in yet.
    One thing is for sure, I can sleep well now. I am only the fifth Malaysian to win the All-Eng*land but I am glad that I ended a seven-year wait for it.

> WHAT was the driving factor behind your success this time?
    I think the key word here is the 100th celebration. I had to win because it is a special edition of a prestigious tournament.
    People don’t really remember if you are the 2008 or 2009 winner. But it makes a lot of difference when you are the champion of its centenary tournament. I was driven by this.
    Besides, I have not won any major title and this seemed to be the perfect stage to pull it off. I have always crashed out in the early stages, especially in the world championships.

> HOW do you feel about winning the title without having to deal with China’s top stars Lin Dan or Bao Chunlai?
    Probably, I will be more satisfied if I had beaten Lin Dan for the title. That is what people want to see. I had a better chance following the exit of Lin Dan (quarter-finals) and Chunlai (semi-finals) and I took that well.
    But of course, I cannot stop people from having their opinion. Some may discount my achievement because I did not have to play against any of the top Chinese players. That is their view.
    But I have to admit that it would have been hard against them. They have five good singles players (the others being Chen Jin, Chen Long and Du Pengyu) and it is not easy for one to clear so many hurdles.
    The Chinese are not in an All-England men’s singles final for the first time since 1999 but I am sure they will bounce back. And I hope to be ready for them.

> WHAT is the most priceless lesson that you will take back home from this All-England?
    I came into the tournament as an unbeaten player on the international stage since the Super Series Masters Finals (in December). I started the year by winning the South Korean Open and then the Malaysian Open.
    The pressure was heavy on me. It felt like the Olympic Games. But I managed to cope with it in every match . I am getting better in handling the pressure, which is really good.

> IS TAGO ready to challenge strongly and consistently on the big stage?
    He has improved tremendously since I last played against him a year ago (in the Swiss Open). He made life difficult for me in this final. I wasn’t safe even when I had a two-point lead over him. He kept coming back at me. Tago is certainly a great fighter and has good skills.
    The South Korean (Shon Wan-ho) also did well in the quarter-finals. These players do not show nerves and we will have to watch out for them. I hope our younger players would be inspired by them too.

> WHO are the people behind your success?
    There are so many of them.
    My coach, Misbun, however, needs special mention. He has been with me since I was a junior. He knew how much I wanted to win this title. He is the most understanding coach a player can have. He is always the first to arrive for training – by 5.30am. He is so dedicated and committed and I am lucky to have him as my mentor.
    Of course, my parents have been supportive. I also get strong support from the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia), National Sports Institute and National Sports Council. And my team-mates who have been selflessly sparring with me. Back-up shuttlers Tan Chun Seang and Chan Kwong Beng gave me quality time in sparring.
    I will also not forget my adopted father, Wong Wai Choy, who provided the pillar of strength for me when I left Penang for Kuala Lumpur when I was 18.
    I have to say a big thank you to all Malaysians too. I was also pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib (Tun Razak), after my victory. The Prime Minister and his wife had stayed up to watch me play the match live on TV. It meant a lot to me.

> HOW do you intend to reward yourself for this achievement?
    I will give myself a one-week break to celebrate the win. That will be it. I am skipping the Swiss Open so that I can have some time to relax after giving 100% or more in training and in tournaments for the last three months. It can be mentally draining. But when the one week is up, it’s back to hard work again. There are still other major tournaments for me this year.

> WHAT’s next for you?
    There will be no tournaments for me until the Thomas Cup Finals (in May). I want to improve on my game and be ready to face all the top ranked players. But the Finals is not an individual event. It’s a team effort and I will do my best to inspire my team-mates. We will be playing at home and hopefully, we can surprise everyone with some good results.
    I consider the All-England as my first major title after many disappointments. And I hope that this will be a start for better things to come. I want to be a world champion and that means I have to beat some good players from China to achieve it. I will stay focused.

> HOW would you sum up the achievements of the other players in the team?
    It is unfair to say that the other players were big flops because they lost early. The national players are one big family. Sometimes I win, sometimes Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong or Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty win. Most importantly is victories for Malaysia.
    I have had my bad days too but the others did well to cover up. I hope the players will do well in the Swiss Open and no one will be too hard on them.

> WHAT do you have to say to your fans?
    I really love them for all the support that they have given me. The final day saw so many Malaysians in the stadium.
    It was heart-warming and gave me the extra motivation to do well. They have always been encouraging and wishing me well. I went to Chinatown for dinner once with my uncle here and I was swarmed by fans. I just want to thank them all from the bottom of my heart.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/3/16/sports/5870730&sec=sports

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

What a nice and humble guy. Weldone LEE CHONG WEI!!

9. indra

indra Regular Member

I guess 2010 will be the year of LCW...

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey indra, long time no see. :D

i like to say taufik did really tried and work hard at this AE. He knows it was his best chance as he is getting older, and there is no lin dan, no bcl, no chen jin in his draw ladder:D The battle of 2 daddies. PG won but it was an amazingly tight win. I do say great effort by TH this time.

11. whatever

whatever Regular Member

whatever
    ME TO0!!! ME TOO!!! SO CHARMING!!! :D:D:)

12. whatever

whatever Regular Member

whatever
    ME TO0!!! ME TOO!!! SO CHARMING!!! :D:D:)

13. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

If he had arms muscle that matches his legs, he would be king of badminton.

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    king?
    so what?
    lindan is the badminton god;)

15. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    And it was a bad line-call at 20-20 in the 3rd game :eek:

Taufik was pretty angry.

16. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I posted this in a different thread and am posting the same comments here. What is it about Malaysian players that run off and skip tournaments that they are scheduled to play as soon as they win the All-England??? Hafiz did it and now Lee Chong Wei does it. It speaks of weak mental strength. Lee Chong Wei should have gone and played in the Swiss Open, and hopefully, meet Lin Dan in the final. And if he is truly mentally tough, he has to beat Lin Dan in the final as well and win 4 SS titles in a row. He also has to beat Tago in the second round to show how tough he is. There is no excuse for disappearing after winning the All-England. The Malaysian players of old did not do that as they would not be refunded the ticket price and they paid their own way.

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Tine did 3 times..after winning All England..she withdrew from Swiss Open again this time..Even LD, after winning OG, he played less....

18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ronk, skipping tournament is necessary, it depend on oneself and has nothing to do with mental, its your body condition. as for l cw he seldom 'run off' in fact he played more than the rest of the top players all this while.

if you are touring the s.series and you only reached the 1st or 2nd round i am sure you can play all 12 in a year!:D:D

19. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

I think he means why enter the Swiss Open if you're not going to participate in it? Since he entered it earlier, I would assume he's going to play in the Swiss barring any sort of injury. LCW most likely would've played the Swiss if he didn't win the AE right?

20. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    it depends, if early rounds lost i sure not only him but most of the players will continue.

but sometime top finalist who lost still play in the next tournament, like lcw last year.

it depends on whether you need to rest or prepare and the importance of the next few tournaments. coaches of these players should know best for them when they should stop or skip to prevent/avoid more injury.:D