100th All England more prestigious than Olympic Gold?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jojandy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojandy

jojandy Regular Member

Student
    Coach Misbun Sidek has described Lee Chong Wei's Yonex All England title as more prestigious than winning an Olympic gold medal.

"You are talking about a tournament that is 100 years old...a tournament that every player wants to win and be known as a All England champion. It is all the more prestigious than winning an Olympic gold medal," said Misbun.

Source: http://www.yonex.com/interests/news_b/user/search2.cgi?category1=YONEX ALL ENGLAND 2010#168

What do you guys think about this statement?

2. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    He said that because of Lcw's loss at OG08 and LD's loss at AE 2010.
    It balance the two players

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I don't think so. The all england is every year, the olympics only every 4 years. Plus the olympics have a much older history than 100 years.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Depends how one looks at and values both:
    Winning the longest and oldest badminton tourney in badminton history (AE).
    or
    Winning the oldest international multi-event sporting competition that's held every four years; though the actual badminton competition only started in 1992 (OG).

5. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Nice try :D

It may be more prestigious in his own mind. That's fine. In reality, something is pretigious only if everyone is fighting hard to get it.

LYB already stated that only the Cups and Asian Games are his objectives for this year. Note that he left out even the WC (can someone confirm this?). All other events are just try-out and tune-up tournaments.

Especially telling is that particular something that some people are so fond of: game fixing. I'd say that there was absolutely no sign of game fixing at this AE. That tells you something about how important this AE is to LYB.

6. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    :confused:Do you mean Lyb isn't interested with Paris' WC ??

7. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Absolute nonsense.

I wouldn't consider the 100th edition any more prestigious than any of the other years. Who still remembers who won the 50th edition?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    According to legend, the ancient Olympic Games were founded by Heracles (the Roman Hercules), a son of Zeus. Yet the first Olympic Games for which we still have written records were held in 776 BCE (though it is generally believed that the Games had been going on for many years already). At this Olympic Games, a naked runner, Coroebus (a cook from Elis), won the sole event at the Olympics, the stade - a run of approximately 192 meters (210 yards). This made Coroebus the very first Olympic champion in history.

The ancient Olympic Games grew and continued to be played every four years for nearly 1200 years. In 393 CE, the Roman emperor Theodosius I, a Christian, abolished the Games because of their pagan influences.

so in term of history, AE has no leg to stands on against the OG.

how's a title won by an officiating error, did not beat 1 powerhouse chinese player, is more prestigious:confused::confused:

I think misbun is priming himself and lcw for a bigger bonus for the AE win than lcw's OG silver.

#8 cooler, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. badmad

badmad Regular Member

media gimmicks! thats all i will say.. maybe misbun wants to show that under him, LCW got the best of the best tourney so far and thus, he can get more influence, more reward!!!

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If you or me said AE is more prestigeous than OLY, nobody will give a hoot. Because it is MS who said it, the paper will print it. A player has only 1-2 good chances to win OLY in his/her lifetime. You blew it, adios. Long before OLY, WC and SS exists, AE is the unofficial world championship, an AE winner is recognized as the unofficial world champion. You blew it once, try again next year, then next year.....
    Now, AE is just a 4* event, just one of many SS around. Because of its rich history, and just about all great player in the baddy world had won it before, we consider it as a major, and every player would want to have his pic taken with the mug to be included in this exclusive company.
    To be called an Olympian is already a big deal, to actually even win a medal, a gold is one heck of a deal. To win an OLY gold 2X will be a true testamount of a player able to maintain his level over a 5-8 years period. I take an OLY gold over 3 AEs anytime.

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, what you said is very true,....but one thing i would like to point out here is the participation, in AE all good players can take part, like Chn can send all their top 5 MS in MS event in this AE, in Olympic only 2 of their top players are allowed to take part, the same goes to other top nation like INA....I would say interms of intensity of competition and quality of participants, AE is very much higher than Olympic.....;)

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    You make a good point...I think it is max 3 players in OLY...2 in AG...4 in WC.

13. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

seriously, olympic is and will never be held at the same prestige as AE, or any other SS events. That is because Olympic is more prestigious.
    As some of you mentioned already, the Olympic is a four-year event. But also, if you analyze the way to get into Olympics vs getting into SS or any world championship event you'll see there is a longer, and harder road for Olympic.

Olympic is ultimately the culmination of the elite players from every country.
    When you can represent your country to compete in the Olympic games, you are an Olympian, a word that once represents the collective of the gods of ancient greece.
    That, in itself, should describe the prestige behind the Olympics
    and once you win gold, you are Olympic CHAMPION
    chief among all the Olympians
    that's a pretty big title

All other titles won from various competitions pales in comparison with the Olympic gold medal
    Being Olympic champion is the pinnacle of all athletes in sports that are part of the games
    Ask any world champion that doesn't have a gold; they would probably trade all, if not most, of their world titles for an Olympic gold medal

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Maybe MS really meant it when he said AE is more prestigeous than OLY;) Winning AE, LCW is treated more royally than winning any other SS. I can't help but wonder the politics and monetary gain behind MS claim. LCW will be richly rewarded and we know MS gets 10% of what LCW gets. So, blowing the horn of the importance of AE, will that translate into more $$$ for both LCW and MS....just a thought?;)

15. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I don't think Misbun would say that if LCW had won the gold back in 2008.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOLOLOL, this is too funny.

OK lah, even if i accept your premise as logical and valid, Super Dan has won
    3 AE titles (4 if u count the 2008 AE title gift to assist chen jin to qualify for 08 OG). So, Mr. Datuk LCW has to win at least 2 more AE title to tie LD's badminton supremacy, where as LCW only have to win 1 OG title to tie LD.

I (and most fans) believe LD is staying around in hope to win the 2012 OG title, i doubt LD is postponing his retirement to earn more 'prestigious' AE titles

btw, superdan also have 3 WC titles too. Is AE more prestigious than WC's since lcw doesn't have a WC title yet?

#16 cooler, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  17. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    so what's the big deal here?

LCW finally caught to the status similar to the likes of Chen Hong, as former/current world ranking #1 + 1 time AE winner... WOW... is he already a legend in some of your minds? Talk about low standards.:rolleyes:

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

If I remember correctly Lin Dan won the AE title four times, in 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

LCW is still pretty far away from earning a similar status as Dan.

19. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Weeeeee........ and whatever LYB stated is taken as fact and not in his own mind. China fanatic. Hahahaha

20. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

we are discussing about LCW and 100th AE..why is the Superdan that lost in QF and some loser like CJ come into this thread???:crying::crying::crying:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.