Pre-weaving - what now?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by krisss, Feb 27, 2010.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi,

I have just pre-weaved my racket. I have been following the prospeed guide of stringing (http://www.prospeed.com.my/stringing2.html). I am now stuck and I don't know what to do next. After watching dinkalots video of stringing , he has some sort of loop which he simply pulls through and tensions. The prospeeds guide , does not show this in the next few steps , so I wanted to ask for help before continuing. Thankyou.

I am just adding some pictures to help you see what I have done so far.

Thankyou in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Well I can see several things that don't look right to me. First, you need to put a loop in when weaving the mains. The easiest way to do this is to put a loop down around the handle (this depends on the distance of the racquet head to the gripper, you may need a bigger loop depending on your machine). Secondly, when doing the mains you will have one short end and one long end (the long end is used for the crosses). It is not clear from those photos but I guess there will be a lot of string wastage because this short end is a bit long. Remember, the string will stretch so you don't need extra string. Finally, I think your mains are done incorrectly. When going from B9, skip B10 and B11, go through B12 and come out at the bottom on B10. There are probably lots of different ways to pre-weave so I am sure most people do things a little differently. Hope that helps.

3. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

most start horizontals as well on 9 at the bottom and finish on 7 at top looks like you started at 7 at the bottom and finished short. If you have a drop weight you will need probably 2 loops of the handle to give you enough to pull to tension. Crank you will need 1 loop of the handle.

When I first started very poor information on how to weave a racket other than diagrams. Most people focus on tension video's which helps but is only
    part of the process. I wasted hours but finally figured out but was frustrating. Still do something stupid once in a while as I weave while watching tv but good time to do it as it is mostly on my rackets.

as fellow said 9 to 12 then down on mains , leave loops, and go 9 up to 7 and will cover you for most situations. Can modify it a bit later if you get lots of twisting while doing tension. Start with one piece then later to go to 2 piece.

hope that helps a bit more but sure others will also pitch in as well.

Pull you string tight by hand as you go will make weaving cross's easier also.

#3 ormy4, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Looks like the pattern is upside-down - needs two more crosses at the top and two fewer at the bottom.

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

are you doing a one-piece stringing?

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

another closer look at your second picture, it showed that quite a few crosses were done with the mains on the same side for the two adjacent crosses. for example, the ones for 3rd / 4th, and 6th / 7th crosses. please make sure that EACH one is on the other side of the main.

7. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

in that link mentioned that you should start the cross from grommet-8A (typical Malaysian stringer) and do pre-weave up to grommet-26A.
    in your 2nd-picture, you started at grommet 7A.

8. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

ouch the cross string on the top looks kinked

9. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Krisss, recommend to do a 2-piece stringing, which you can find the official YY stringing pattern in their web sites.

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi everyone , sorry for the long delay in replying.

Hmm okay I understand the comments about doing the wrong mains and crosses.

I will be re-doing the racket and take your points into consideration.

First , I just wanted to ask , how to create this "loop" I use to tension the strings. I have not actually created the loop , which means I can't actually string the racket.

I wondered if anyone could simply write out one of the BC users video on prestringing from www.badstrings.com in a post like just say in writing how to copy the video? I would be very grateful!. I have tried following that , but I can't understand it very well.

Dunmaster - I am doing one piece stringing , and thankyou for pointing that out to me , on my next pre-weave I will follow your steps.

Also , can you pre-weave with 2 piece stringing?

Thankyou to everyone who answered , it has really helped.

11. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Honestly......don't pre-weave

12. druss

druss Regular Member

For two piece stringing, yes you can preweave but when I timed myself I find it takes longer if I try to preweave the crosses instead of just weaving them after the mains are tensioned. I do preweave the mains obviously.

13. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Krisss,

Here's a diagrammatic summary of the preweave method I use.

I do preweave both mains and crosses, as it saves time (for me anyway!)than trying to jam the crosses through a shared gromment.

Hope this helps :)

Attached Files:

14. ddannir

ddannir Regular Member

Im also learning how to string. This is interesting, however; I feel like this pre-weaving doesn't "straighten" the strings.

15. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

hi boss, do you mean this video ?

it is around 44MB

pre-weave 2 pieces strings also no problem, just cut 5.4m for main and 4.6m for the cross.

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi Maa2003 , yes I meant that video.

17. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Pre-weaving only shortens your time in front of the machine, it will still take about the same amount of time and I find that pre-weaving kinks the strings and makes them weaker if you're using cheaper strings.

18. racquetattack

racquetattack Regular Member

web sales
    Preweaving really only saves time on frames with shared holes. Most good stringers can do a proper stringjob in about 45 mins or less even on frames with shared holes just by using a sharp cutter on the end of the string before passing through the shared hole. Just by angling the string in such a way to find a space to pass through. Most times one or two tries and you will be through. I string over a thousand frames per year and I don't bother with the preweaving anymore. Just my two cents.

19. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Preweaving is highly recommended for beginners in badminton stringing. this is not only confidence building, but also minimizing mistakes which will end up with frustration and lots of wasted strings after you pulled them tight.

as you are gaining experience, you will find out issues with preweaving, like mentioned in #17 post here. However, you can often find a way to avoid those issues.

after you become advanced level in stringing, you will find so many easiers ways to get stringing done.

20. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Here is a new pic I photoshopped. This is only what you need to do for the mains, it does not take into consideration the crosses. Crosses are easy though. If you guys want I can also make an image of that too. I just fine that there is a lot of confusion for how to do the mains towards the ends.

Attached Files: