Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Got it in Camel Sports shop. RMB1430 (about SGD 286)
    And it string it with BG65 Power @ 28x26lbs, 4 knots
    Superb combination!
    Next round will increase it back to my normal tension of 29lbs

2. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    WOW! That is definitely a good price!

I am with my 2 pcs of 3U. One with BG66Maxima and another with NBG98. The BG66Maxima is definitely a very good string.

Thanks.

3. Paragon

Paragon Regular Member

That was made on my birthday :O

4. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Yeah. prices here are cheap coz Camel get it without local Japan Tax (which shuttle house price is) and since i stay in Beijing, i go get it myself so no need of shipping cost which is a lot if from Japan/China to Malaysia/Singapore. I am definitely getting one more 2U as back up .....super balance and nice (Tempting you actually hehehehehe)
    As for BG66Maxima, i find it a bit too repulsive....
    You should try BG65 Power , it is definitely very nice, hold tension for a long time and won't snap so fast at high tension like BG80. Also, the hitting sound it generates is loud, clear and crisp....music to my ears kekekeke

#1644 tckang, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Happy beeeeeeeelated birthday then ....
    Maybe u should search for this batch then as a gift :p

6. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Well... you are right that Maxima is a bit too repulsive. Net play was far too high from the top of net initially....

BG65 Power.... will check it out.

Thanks.

7. andersen

andersen Regular Member

I definitely and totally agree with you at the phrase in red, and as soon as you get one it will be your main racket not back-up ;). If you find BG66Maxima a bit too repulsive then I think that CBG-100 string is the best match with ARC-Z. Cheers.

8. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    LOL
    I already owned one 2U G5 as my main. AM planning to get one MORE (2U G4) as back up. By then i will have 2 x 2U and 2 x 3U. And my one more racket left will be AT900T as a training racket. Good for me to last 4-5 years without any more extra rackets. :p

Cheers

9. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I like best BG85 on my Zslash, but it breaks a lot. I have BG80 at the moment, it works more or less but compared to the 85 I'm not impressed.

10. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    I used to use BG80 for the past 4-5 years, as well as BG65. BG80 is fantastic, but at 29lbs, in some country (like China in winter) it breaks almost within hours after i string it. Also, BG80 at high tension does not hold tension for long (my average is about 2 weeks max) after that, my 29lbs felt like 27lbs or less.
    BG65, on the other hand is long lasting and cheap. But in terms of repulsion and performance it is so-so.
    That is until i tried BG65 Power on my own. It has identical, if not better performance than BG80 (to me) and also it holds the tension much longer than BG80.

Note: My reference is based on BG65 Power at 29lbs, and also 28 lbs.

11. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

tckang, Have you ever tried BG85? It's hopeless in cold weather, it was very cold here earlier this winter, and one of the places I play at is particularly cold, the string breaks very quickly in the cold. It isn't even sold here in France, I found it in Thailand.

I find it much much better than BG80. I'm really not impressed by BG80 at all. It works, and it doesn't break but there's no finesse and the net touch , well I have to fight to get any real control. I certainly don't find it fantastic.

I find the 85 a lot more precise, the power is still there, but the net touch is a real delight. Apparently it's the most popular cord in Thailand, and the one that everyone I talked with there recomended.

12. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Speaking about BG85, I have used it before and find it very weak. From my experience there's a certain property with the BG85 that makes shots feel very different to the other strings. There is this feeling that I tend to be distracted by the sound it produces on impact and thus can not judge properly the amount of strength that should be put into each shot. Smashing is even more hopeless when using BG85; the feel is weird and the string seems to dent inward and repel weakly rather than stay resilient and transfer the wrist flick properly even at high tensions. For net shots and control perhaps BG85 is one of the better strings but that is IMHO the only aspect it seems to work properly

By the way I'm the one who convinced tckang to try BG65 Power which is my current favourite (have been a BG80 and BG65 avid user myself) and now even he is smitten to it ;)

Another string I would recommend for use with the Z Slash is NBG98 because of its resilience and relative stiff feel.

13. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Yes, i'm back in Thailand next week and siince stringing is free there, I've been thinking of changing to NBG98. I'll try it.

Sound doesn't bother me too much, I'm actually a little deaf so I avoid that problem!

I think all this about strings, tensions and even racquet choice is very much dependant on the person and how they move, what kind of shots they like using and how they get 'power'; some people are using strong wrists and some using strong abdos. BG85 strung around 25lbs on a Z Slash suits me, but that may not be the case for everyone.

I think you only really find out by trying them all.
    I'm going to see how my money pans out over the next month or so, if there's a little spare, I might treat myself to a Nanospeed 9900 , just out of curiosity. I hear good things about that racquet.

#1653 Grotius, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    You are right, and i would add also by where you are playing (the weather and humidity) and the tension you put. At 29lbs (The tension i used), and the fact that that Beijing humidity is ALWAYS below 25%, BG85 will not last me 5 hours of play. (i have tried it before). Even BG80 like i said earlier, don't last more than 4-5 hour of play.
    So even though BG80 and BG85 are great, for obvious economical reasons, i chose to stay onto BG65, which works out just fine for me and it last me between 2 weeks to 3 weeks. So when Blitzzard recommended BG 65 Power and i can access it easily here in Beijing, i gave it a try and i am happy to say i am very satisfed as it has BG80 characteristics (to some extend better) and it last as long as my BG65.

My personal experience and i will highly recommend BG65 Power for anyone to give it one try, even once in their lifetime, no harm. ;)

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

is BG65 ti, and BG65 power the same string ?

16. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    Kenichi Tago

We'll see Kenichi using the ArcZ in tomorrow's AE final tomorrow. :) Although, I think LCW should dominate.

17. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    You mean, Lin Dan's finished:eek:?

18. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    Yes, Bao Chunlai upset him in the quarter finals.

19. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Bao's da man:cool:! LCW should be more relaxed then;).

20. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Not at all. BG65 Ti feels slippery and only good for straight power play to me. You would have to import BG65 Power as it is a Japan only string.

By the way Lin Dan used the BG65 Power for a slight time before switching to Li Ning, circa during AE2009. The sound it produces compared to BG65 and BG65 Ti is totally different.