Calling No-Shot

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by TheBear, Feb 15, 2010.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

I don't understand what cause you're talking about....

If it's not listed as a fault in the IBF laws of badminton which everyone world wide plays by then it's not a fault. Either you play by the rules or you don't. If you want to make up your own then all the power to you but if you end up playing against someone who does not follow your rules but instead plays by accepted international rules, which even the all england championships play by, then too bad.

Am I to understand then that your entire league will watch the All England Championship and will all shout "FAULT!" when someone hits a frame?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

TheBear is just stating a strange custom in his neck of the woods. He's not saying that it's right or even makes sense.

I just came home from a game where I totally whiffed on a smash. But I desperately swung back from my follow-through and the bird hit the shaft and dropped tightly over the net for a winner. If I was in Coventry it would have been a fault. But here, it was cause for quite a laugh (and a point!):)

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I understand what you're getting at but... I would not quite classify this as a custom when you're talking about league play. If this was just a club thing and all the members agreed to it then it would not matter.

As he stated though, there has been conflict in league to league matches and in those cases the laws of badminton as published by the IBF should be used.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

No argument there, druss. :)
    It's as crazy for their club to try to enforce their strange custom on a county league as it would have been for an European Imperial power to impose neckties and dinner jackets on people living in hot countries. :rolleyes: (i love the british)

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    You should bring a rule book during the league. Ask them to find anything about mishit. This should not be a fault. :)

However, during social games, we apologize for a mishit or a netshot, but the point is still given.

6. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Druss - I think we're having a violent agreement :)
    I don't agree with the convention/courtesy/call it what you like. I don't agree with a league setting out its own rules, and I believe a good way to resolve the issue is to gather the comments and opinions from players around the UK and around the world, which is the intention of this thread, and present them at the AGM this summer.
    This convention has evolved within the Coventry league, from what I can see. I don't believe any one club has enforced it. I see it as an anacronism from the sixties (thanks Malsharpes for that) that needs to be recognised as such and removed.
    But before I can start that process I need to know that this convention is not prevailent elsewhere.
    Really do appreciate your help with this.

7. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

What the players usually do in competitive play (even in the major tournaments) when they do gain points through mishits they will just raise up their racquet in apology and get on with the game, no worries. Although sometimes in doubles games they don't really bother to give such "allowances" (refer to Olympic Games 2004 Men Doubles Final).

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

i bet only at your area this rule is active, no where else :D. So get your gun firing at the convention, the whole world is behind you :cool:

9. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Anyone from the counties around the UK ? (My thanks to those of you who have already responded). Cheshire ? Hants? Surrey? Sussex ? Essex ? Devon ? Cornwall ? Home Counties? What about Shropshire, Avon, Herts, Midx, and of course Yorkshire !
    And also of course all of those I have now alienated by failing to mention !

Once again, many thanks for your help in this.

10. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i've never encountered such rule,at least wher i've played. but it sounds as if there is a lot of courtesy being emphasised. where i usually play(social/friendly up to competitive play),if the shuttle hit any part of the racket and goes across the net,the play is still on.we susually call that a "lucky" shot. but if the shuttle grazed any part of the racket and stays on our side of the court then we call it a fault or "double"(the play is over).

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've not encountered this "custom" when playing in clubs and leagues in Oxfordshire, Surrey, or Sussex.

People do occasionally call "no shot" when they I make a double contact (or just a bad contact), and I soon disabuse them of this fatuous notion. ;) But I've never known complaints about a frame-shot.

The only valid complaint in this area is against a "carry", where you catch-and-sling the shuttle.

12. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

So long as it's one continuous swing motion, whether it bounces twice in trance, it's good.

13. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    Just to let you know that in the Cheshire leagues and West Yorkshire leagues they follow the standard rules. And when I played down in the Leicestershire League (many years ago) they used the standard rules.
    Hope this helps.

14. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

That's great Malsharpes, Gollum, FIVEs and Kish-mah-Ash - much appreciated.

Any more for any more?

15. perfectgravity

perfectgravity Regular Member

I play in Canada,

There have been numerous times when the shuttle has hit the frame during a game, which usually results in a kind of "knuckle ball" drop shot that falls unpredictably.

Sometimes it clears then net and even scores a point. We laugh about it or even say something about how lucky the shot was, but it is in no way a foul shot.

The only instance related would be if it hits the frame of one players racket and then it is hit by their partner - which results in a dual hit, where a no-shot is called.

16. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    this is what first came to my mind too. In fact i've seen so many carry-shots resulting from 'bad contact', but almost no ruling was ever passed. Judgement pertaining to Carry is often cloudy. I've seen them happen quite frequently in lower levels of play....and even in higher levels of play it happens occasionally.

17. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Never heard of such practise here in Ireland, having played in a few clubs in Dublin and Cork. Apologizing for an unintended flukey winner is as far as it goes.

18. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

That is purely a matter of preferance, and sportsmaship? (depending on how you look at it) its still valid if you look at the laws of badminton

19. tiching99

tiching99 Regular Member

While we're at it, is a double-hit a foul? I also play in the Coventry league and it seems that a double hit is uniformly accepted as a no-shot. Yet, some people have told me that if its a double it in one motion, it's NOT a foul, and its only a foul if its a "carry" or a "sweep."

Any ideas?

20. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    The laws that apply are

13.3.7 is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;
    13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a "fault";

The main point is that trying to be made that you are only allowed one shot at playing the stroke, otherwise you would be getting an unfair advantage.