Foot stance for doubles backhand serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Apr 14, 2005.

?

How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

1. Non-racquet foot forward

55.6%
  2. Racquet foot forward

33.3%
  3. Both feet (roughly) square to the net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It varies, depending on which side I serve from

11.1%
  1. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

I must suck at explaining it then, because that was what I was taught by Peter Buch, an "old" top mix player from Denmark (and no he isn't the only one I've be coached to do this by, but he is just one of the more well known internationally).

The idea is that by putting the majority of the movement to your elbow, you'll have an easier time reproducing your serve, thus making it easier to make a tight serve.

Anyhow I believe that this is something we won't agree on, so you keep on coaching your students to stand with whatever foot in front, and I'll keep on coaching mine to stand with their racket foot in front.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's going back a long way (mid 1980s, I believe). Such a style of service may have been prevalent back when rackets were much heavier, and you needed a longer action to keep the swing smooth.

But that's just one possible explanation. Without more information, it's completely unfair of me to dismiss his teaching as a product of his time. ;)

Anyway, some current world-class players, such as Donna Kellogg, serve with their non-racket foot forwards. I don't see Donna having any trouble with her serve. :p

If you want to use your long-push style of serve, then yes, I think non-racket foot forwards could be a serious problem. These two technical elements are potentially incompatible (depending on just how long that swing is). For an old-school under-the-armpit serve, the only workable option is racket foot forwards.

#162 Gollum, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I think that having your knees slightly bent , ready to take off for your next shot is as important as where you place your feet. 'Yeah yeah', you might say, 'but it only takes a micro second to bend your knees'. You'd be right, but the game is about micro seconds.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I suggest that you don't bend your knees or use a wide base when serving, as this will cause you to serve from lower down.

A much better option is to stand upright when you serve, and then immediately transition into a split drop. The dynamic "bounce effect" you get from this movement will be much more effective than maintaining a static knees-bent position.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best stance for doubles backhand serve is to have your right foot in front if you are a right hander. The reason is to make it easier to lead with your right shoulder, vital for the flick serve that can be executed with more deception and leverage. With your non-racquet foot in front, this will somewhat impede the stroke.
    The knees should not be bent when serving but somewhere in the stroke cycle you need leverage on your foot to make it easier for you to move. This means that either at the start of the serve or during the serve, you must raise your left foot toes. This is vital because if both your feet are flat and rooted to the floor, there is no spring for you to move fast.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think that racket foot forward is the easiest and most effective way of serving in doubles.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    actually i serve with the non racket foot in front before,

then changing to the racket foot in front :)

after that, i found some differences in the front court interception for both :D

anyway, i use both styles nowadays :)

next, try both feet square :D

boy! its never too late to learn one of the first skill for badminton or

in fact, the first skill for doubles lol

8. aaronhor

aaronhor Regular Member

student
    For me when I serve, it varies according to which side I serve. But after reading through this thread, it seems to me that racket foot forward is the correct method. Should try to practise this in my badminton game next time...

#168 aaronhor, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  9. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I just learned to backhand serve since I felt like it was something that I never had in my arsenal. It's really nice to have a lot more control, but my short forehand is still a lot more dangerous, since I've had so much practice with it. Can't wait to see how the backhand will turn out after some practice.

I serve with my racquet foot forward as well. I rest my feet in ready position for the non-racquet side, then lean forward while raising my left heel a bit.

I point the bird inwards towards the racquet while the bird is touching the racquet head. Then I pull my racquet back and swing forward, letting go at the last second.

At the moment I'm trying to force my legs to take a step back and then do the split drop. This is singles, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    You can find world champions serving racket foot , non racket foot and level, so I think any of those is good enough for the people on here.

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    HI, just want to contribute (sorry I just scan some of the posts, not all of them)...

The choice of stance is primary about balance, both physical and mental, and we must accept that we are build different both physical and mental. Though the mental part should be relative easier to change than your body type. Find the balance.
    Its a hard dillemma for trainers teaching a team of beginners, because you don't want them to be confused about too many things, by giving them all the options. Perhaps try this approx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-uIRZZR40 :)

That said I recommend intermediate players to master at least 2 kind of stances. For shifting on a bad serving day, to make variation, perhaps not real deception, but still. Of course you can also shift to forehand serve.

I mostly serve racket foot and sometimes level. I could not vote, as I prefer the freedom to vary my stance.

BTW: when does the serve end, when can you say now the serving part is over?

#171 Mikael, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Maybe the instance the shuttle leaves and you split step?

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    haven't found many instances where the racket hand foot is not in front, see attachments

Attached Files:

14. peterr88

peterr88 New Member

15. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I used to have my racket foot in front.
    But my new trainer told me it is better to have racket foot front when serving from the right and the left foot front when serving from the left. This has to do with weight distribution and how easy it is to move to the "largest opening" (right foot front it is easier to move a large distance to the left, left foot front it is easier to move a large distance to the right). I think this works really well, atleast for me, just a bit getting used to putting my left foot in front :) But the jump I can make to my forehand side (right handed player when standing left) is way easier/stronger now!

16. patrick2197

patrick2197 Regular Member

blogger
    I really think the dominant foot should always be forward...

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

@Thompson

I like that suggestion, covering the biggest gap sounds good because you're already at the closest area so little to no footwork is required to hit early.

The way I think about it:

Racquet foot forward on serve naturally puts your racquet arm slightly further forward, enabling a shorter distance to the opposite side, so less reaction time for your opponent to receive serve.

It also puts you in a better position to take the shuttle early on the 3rd shot, if you end up taking it, because your racquet arm is infront of you (increased shot making mobility)

If you stand even, it means you have greater lateral movement speed (no need to change feet during splitstep), but it doesn't allow you to attack a net shot return as quickly.

Preparing yourself for more lateral movement on a 3rd shot in a rally suggests to me (just my opinion) that you are more likely to end up defending if you are at the forecourt.

Just my 2p, if anyone feels like putting me in my place and correcting me I'd quite happily hear it :)

18. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

What are you talking about...in all those pictures, the player is standing with his racket foot in front, with the exeption of the 2nd one who is too blurry to say...first one is lefty left foot, second one is blurry, third one is right right, 4th one is lyd serving who serves right right last one is right right also....

19. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

At least read what you are quoting properly before having a pop at him... ;)

20. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

wooow sorry posted that at 1 am, I guess my brain did sum magic there :p worse is that i re read his post 4 times before posting that make sure I read it correctly xd