Slow shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Grotius, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I have 3 tubes of shuttles that are hopelessy slow.You can slam them from the base line and they just make it over the net. They're actaully strange to watch, like a film in slow motion. Does anyone know a quick and dirty solution to make them go a little faster so that they can be used?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    best solution is send them to me:p what speed are they?:D shuttles are too fast what i live.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To make the shuttle go a bit faster..

..only way i can think of is to "tip" the feathers in (do it for every other feather or every 4 feathers).
    Here's a video to share:
    http://satellitebadmintonclub.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-adjust-speed-of-feather.html

But boy, with that slow of a speed, i doubt if they'll be of much use..unless for warm-up rallies:p

#3 ctjcad, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Cjtcad- Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed to know, I'm going to try it in a couple of hours time when i play.

Cooler- The way they are right now you'd probably get bored waiting for them to arrive from across the net!

To both of you, I found these shuttles on sale in Thailand, they're Dunlops, a known brand, and so i thought they'd be ok. Some were too fast, some too slow and some just fell apart after a couple of hits. (They were very cheap)I've tried steaming them that I read about on here, and I think that does make a big difference. Especially for the too fast and the ones that were falling apart. My system is simply to spread them on the bathroom floor and shower without using the extractor fan until I've finished showering.

5. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Well, I tried, but these shuttles are hopeless. I tipped them little by little, finally I reached the stage where I'd 'tipped' the shuttle right down as far as the string. Now if I hit them from the base line, the don't just go over the net, they make it as far as the opposing serving line! They're useless.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Are they even legit ones? :p

7. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I believe so. They're DUNLOP AF7. From Thailand, they were very very cheap, about 3 euros a dozen, so it's not a money thing, it's just irritating that I can't use them and have to replace them. It's my own fault for being cheap. I should have paid more and got the regular RSL ones that everyone seems to use in Thailand. I'll know better next time.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I can only find AF1 and AF4 ... AF4 is described as the entry level already. 3 euro a dozen is indeed very cheap. Maybe you can use them up the Alps haha ...

edit: now have come across AF5 on a thai website ... http://www.thaisecondhand.com/_board/sp/data/SP8060403.html

That 5 looks photoshopped as it is different in both pics :D

#8 demolidor, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..that experience is not surprising. For one, i've experienced the same thing as well (yes, even bought several tubes). As a matter of fact, there are "cheap" shuttles being sold all over S.E. Asia countries (for example several brands from Indonesia). At first they play great (also because of them being played in a more humid region) & might sound like a bargain, but after purchasing & then playing them in a higher altitude w/dry air region, they turned out to be totally useless.
    It's a good learning experience nonetheless.

#9 ctjcad, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager
    TS,
    I doubt Dunlop has AF7, you might have gotten some "clone" shuttlecock( if not feather from cloned goose). You might as well spend some money to buy better shuttlecock to save your frustration, and if at times a shot turns out to be no good, you know for sure it is not the shuttlecock. :p