Shuttle Striking A Non-Receiving Doubles Player During Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by abedeng, Oct 26, 2009.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiWKnpxDMU&feature=PlayList&p=E500B184D132A35D&index=6

I just reviewed the video carefully several times again.

At 1:09, you'll see that the ump had been looking down at her papers and only looks up after KKK yelled out right after the serve hit CM. It is true that MB is probably blocking Carol's view had she been paying attention; but if she had been paying attention, she would have at least seen the general trajectory of the shuttle was so off that MB's racket could not hit the bird and that it did not hit the ground (because CM was still hanging onto the bird!) As a matter of fact, Carol can still see CM with the bird in hand when she had looked up after KKK yelled!

This is replayed again at 1:27 in slow motion, and you'll see it more clearly.

So, Carol does not have any excuse for not paying attention to the serve, because if she had, she could have made a better judgement than what she had done... despite MB having blocked CM from her view.

2. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics

If you had umpired, you would know that Carol ISNT looking at " Her papers " but at the receivers feet ! That her job at this moment in time. To make sure he doesn't jump the serve. Not to " pay attention to the serve ", that the SJ job.

As a side note, at Super Series Events, there are NO papers !! its all electronic !!

Umpires are not able to call on what they think has happened, they have to have seen it. Doesn't matter what their gut feeling is.

Try umpiring yourself, sit in the hot seat and then you might have a different view.

Where we agree is that the Umpire should be able to call upon instant replays if they are available. It would have certainly resolved this situation.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

From how much her head moves up to look at the situation after KKK yells at 1:09, she was not even looking at the receiver to begin with.

True, her job is difficult, and it was bad timing at that moment for her to be looking down. But can you imagine what would have happened if this exact incident had occurred in Malaysia?

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Even if this were true it's still quite hard for me to imagine why she didn't see what happened. After all he caught the shuttle in his hand!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

His reasoning is that Boe is blocking Carol's view of Mortensen.

But if the ump were paying attention, she would see that Mortensen ends up with the bird in his left hand even without having to bend down to pick it up. So, she's unsighted for a moment, but I don't think it's that hard to make a deduction.

6. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i saw the video of this particular incident. and from what i saw,these are my conclusions:

- it'[s too bad the umpire most likely didn't pay full attention to what happened.whetehr her view was completely blocked by mogensen or not, that we don't know for sure (100%).i noticed her head was looking down prior to the serve and even after the serve was exexcuted.another proof of her not paying full attention was the fact she had to double check with the service judge on what transpired.and what's even more midn boggling was the fact the serivice judge didn't even notice.un-freakin-believeable!

- the umpire's mind probbably got a bit muddled & probably forgot about the rules after koo kien keat protested the call and requested for the tourneament referree to come.the correct call should have been a fault as the shuttle was clearly in boe's hands.
    what's strange also is that the umpire didn't oblige to koo kien keat's request to ask the tournament referee.also,did the tournament refeeree see what happened?from the video, he seemed to be a bit lost also and seemed to agree with the umpire's call for a "let".i also feel the umpire probablyu thought both sides weren't ready for the serve thus the call of "let".

- could an instant replay be useful in this case?probably.but we probably wouldn't be discussing about this if any of the officials paid any attention.

- the umpire could've done a better job,imo.this is an unfortunate scenario but definitely something the umpire, service judge and all officials at that tournament should learn.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Agreed on all points.

Boe and Mortensen being Danish playing this game in Denmark, IMHO, the ump and referee were just erring on the "safe" side in calling it a let instead of giving the point to the Malaysians. Simple as that.

8. kish-mah-ash

made some typos..

got jumbled up there anad made typos with players' names.
    it should've been:
    1. "whetehr her view was completely blocked by boe or not"
    and
    2. "the correct call should have been a fault as the shuttle was clearly in mogensen's hands"

as for the idea of the unmprire was playing "safe" becayuse the match was played in denmark ins tead of in mlaysia,that i don't reallybuy.i don't think a diferent call would've mattered much.i mean if the umpire had given the pt to the malaysians,what would the danish crowd do?boo her?thwrow things or drinking bottles at her?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm.. note to self: next time I'm attending the Denmark Open, remember to buy bottles of beer to drink, and perhaps use for other useful purposes.:p:D

(Disclaimer: I live in Canada, but was born in Malaysia of Chinese descent.)

10. kish-mah-ash

hmm,isense a bit of bias view there?eh?:confused: