Laptop inquiry:

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by quik_silver, Jan 23, 2009.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Just get some tech dude around our area to help out, easier for you. Try not to fix it yourself. It's frustrating if you are not technical enough. ;)

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I did, I've tried 'em all (but only on PCs)
    For work I use IE/FF equally-ish on XP
    At home I use IE on Vista (although I might move to Chrome when it's "finished")

3. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    for business, i would prefer Thinkpad X61s
    for presentation, the old Fujitsu tablet 4215 is not bad (5110 is the newer one, shd be better)
    for gaming, ASUS G2
    for personal use, Fujitsu S6420 is good
    XPS 1330 got a slight problem with too much heat generation. so i'll pass over on that one for personal use.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I'm surprised there are not more Mac users on BC. Unless they are still in the closet ;):p

I did buy a HP laptop this Christmas but it's used more by my son. I won't allow him to access the internet using IE though. Only Firefox.

Much of what oldhand says about the Mac is spot on. Fast, reliable, bullet-proof, intuitive OS. I currently have 2 desktops and one laptop (a G5). What can I say... they run great. I have retired 2 Macs; they were getting too old to support the programs I run. I will be getting a new Macbook Pro this Spring–looking forward to it.

Last but not least–that oldhand is a genius–wandering eyes invariably make their way to form, function and beauty: Macs and HHY.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmmm, i could just imagine madbad's alarm bells going off when he got HHY on his 'laptop':D

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think google is gonna eat MS's lunch pretty soon and i don't just mean browser

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hm.... our master Oldhand didnt teach us to solve this question, but, keep advertising apple.... :p:D:p:D
    an apple a day, keep away the doctor

funny to hear that vista cant be formatted.
    however, if you want to install xp, make sure to change the hdd from sata to ide, in bios.

ram is so cheap nowadays, just upgrade it to 4gb. even though 32bits vista/xp unable to fully utilize them but can run them at dual channel. for future proof too, later on, get the windows 7. windows 7 beta is now release and free till august 09.

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    My answers were for Pete's question.

I won't even hazard a guess on how to repair problematic PCs.
    But, on what to do with them, my advice is: scrap them :D

It makes sense for BATA to make PCs too - Buy And Throw Away :p

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i'll see & believe it once kwun switches over to Mac/Apple...Once he switches over, then i'll follow suit..;)

10. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Kwun doesn't strike me as a person who's after the look. ;)

11. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Macs are hardly bullet-proof. It certainly isn't true that they're immune to viruses either. There merely isn't a large enough base of users that demands people to exploit them. They have probably close to no security if you were to truly attempt an attack. They are just as vulnerable as a PC without anti-virus, if not more. My friend owns one of the earlier Intel-based Macbooks, and I can tell you that it is not of the best quality. I would say it may be a year or so old, but if it cannot withstand daily usage without random cracks and breaking off of the keyboard, as well as tinny speakers, heat issues due to the LACK of much ventilation, and is almost unusable without a power source, as it randomly shuts down when running on battery (even when it is full), I cannot favor "FAIL Macs," as we often call them. If you ever ventured to any software companies or universities, you will witness many of the iMac G5s installed with/running Windows. The Mac OS X is nothing but a licenced/proprietary derivation of a Linux distribution called Darwin. So in essence, it is just a very simplified Linux and can never truly match the expanse of Windows functionality. If you have any particular software you want to run, I would also advise against purchasing a Mac, as it may not be compatible, and thus would make it a pointless venture. Bootcamp is indeed there, but I would assume that you'd have to buy the Windows OS, unless you already own a copy.

Notable companies are HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, Lenevo, and Acer.

Compaq is owned by HP. Gateway is owned by Acer. Sony computers are generally expensive, so I guess if you're basing your purchase on price, they would definitely not be the direction you would turn. Fujistus are not necessarily of the greatest quality.

#31 Tsumaranai, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  12. Tsumaranai

Student
    If you do not like Vista, and you have a legitimate installation CD for Windows XP, you could just partition your hard drive and install XP on the other partition, and dual boot while continuing to have your Vista OS. Vista has a good partitioning tool already installed, so this could be done quite easily. I would advise against completely wiping the HD of Vista, as you may want to use it at some point, and it is not cheap software.

Also to add to my former post, Apple computers are generally overpriced-- with stagnant costs--for the hardware and, in my opinion, software, that they bundle in their systems. For much less, you can get much more with a PC. Apple seems quite stingy with their RAM, and until recently, have not given you access to the hard drive and RAM slots without fully opening the case and probably voiding your warranty. >.>

#32 Tsumaranai, Jan 29, 2009
  13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Well, then..^^

..let the pros vs. cons of both Macs/Apple and PC begin!!...:p
    ..don't tell that to madbad, though..;)

14. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Waste of time doing the pros vs cons. Why not let the user statistics do the talking. :cool:

Isn't madbad a BIG fan of the two Japanese cuties.

15. Tsumaranai

Student
    That is simply because statistics don't necessarily prove competency, and there are margins of error, biases, etc. And you can have PCs analogous with Yonex and Macs part of the group of semi-popular manufacturers. Windows has been around longer in the market, with much more user experience, while Mac OS 9 was really Apple's break into the market. You should get my drift..

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...

..aren't we seeing most of the posts, in this thread, do the "talking"??..;)
    Off topic:Have you been following his posts lately??...He is what i call "The Ultimate Korean WS Players Groupie"..;)

#36 ctjcad, Jan 29, 2009
  17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

From what i've searched..

..the replacement battery for the DV9330CA model runs from $60-80+ each. As for the one on eBay (cheapest one i've seen), we know how they sometimes work, you can try but hopefully the seller is legit (lives up to the good rating).

Can try this one also ($5.00 more compared with the one on eBay);):
    http://laptopsbattery.us/hp-pavilion-dv9000.htm

Or if you don't mind going to an 8-cell version, here's a cheaper one:
    http://www.getpartsonline.com/ev087aa.html?source=googlebase&code=ev087aa

#39 ctjcad, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  20. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Change SATA setting from AHCI to ATA

Hi Silver Vista Bios configuration of SATA was AHCI. U should change it to ATA before installing XP.