JO finals results

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by - 73* -, Apr 10, 2004.

1. robinhood

robinhood Regular Member

HAHAHA!! I hope this means Kim and Ha have resurrected!
    What a great tournament.
    Not a single Chinese winner!
    How rare is that?
    Some of us non-Chinese supporters should really savor this moment
    because there's no telling this will happen again any time soon. ;)

2. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

its over...

15-6 to kim/ha....

it was such a close game, but at the end of the day, its the more experienced players that win.....towards the end, fu started smashing into the net and gave at least 3 points away...

even though cai/fu lost, it was still a great game for them.....definitely the best game today, if not the whole of the JO

cai/fu didn't look disappointed at all in the prize giving ceremony...they actually looked quite happy and smiled and everything...lol...and then, cai started chatting with ha on the podium, i wonder what language they were speaking..lol..i guess they weren't expecting to win in the first place..

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what a surprise!

XD:

Thailand pair in the XD but lost to INA mixed pair who's been quite quiet lately.

WS:

Mia entered final with extra energy which seemed to have outlasted the queen of long rallies Gong RN.

MS:

Singaporean bred Susilo beat Chinese to win title.

WD:

little surprise here. i didn't expect Wei/Zhao to win anyway. but still, when was the last time a WD title didn't go to a Chinese pair?

MD:

little surprise here. Kim/Ha is still the strong and most experienced, and looks like they managed to stun the Chinese top pair, gained 9pts from 6-6 to win the title. welcome back!

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    i think they have did their best... n we all can c tat.... :)
    so no regrets for losing this final.... though Li YongBo may feel likewise :p

5. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    yah.... indeed very surprising results :eek:

6. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

lol definitely...i feel sorry for all the chinese players...i cant imagine what Li YB is going to do to them..i guess a long lecture, more hard work and training..but then, this could be a good thing, its like telling Li YB that you're players are all human and can't be expected to win every single time..and that you can't be over-confident and you gotta work hard if you wanna get the 5 gold medals you're aiming for at the olympics...

anyways, congrats to both cai/fu and kim/ha...they both played incredibly well :D

#146 - 73* -, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    All Correct!!

Guess what people, ALL my predictions came out true!!!!! :eek:
    Omigosh omigosh!!! If I bet on this I'd be filthy rich now!!! :eek:

No, I did NOT pay them to lose their matches... ;)

All four ties including that of XD where INA vs THA, I got it all correct!! China went home with only their luggages, a total failure!

Japan Open Finals Prediction

(Take a deep breath... nothing to get too excited about...) ;)

I-got-it-all- CORRECT!!! :eek:

8. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

:mad: :mad: u cursed them..its all ur fault....lol j/k j/k :D i guess its just luck..lol

9. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Though I have nthing against Chinese players winning legitimately, I must second Robinhood's sentiment. This will only be good to badminton as a sport internationally. ;)

10. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Just back from church.
    Wooowwww........ What a surprising results.

Proud to be Indonesian.
    Look ! "Indonesian" took 3 titles.
    MS : (Actually) Susilo is an Indonesian who play for Singapore.
    WS : (Actually) Mia is an Indonesian who play for Netherland.
    XD : They are Indonesian who play for Indonesia. :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Good for you wilfred.. i got 2 out of 5. Anyway good to hear that Mia won the game.. at least this time No Chinese get any wins. Li Yongbo will be very furious..

12. willie

willie Regular Member

draftsperson
    The Chinese players purposely embarassed LiYB. Probably this is the most lose-face for Li. Will he give post-game address to Chinese media? I can see cool smile on Li Mao's face.

13. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Shhhhhhhhh.....................don't mention that to S'pore (and the Dutch) :D

But one must admit that Susilo only starts to become a mature Grand Prix-level player after living for a few years in S'pore & decided to play professional badminton. I think S'pore can clearly claim Susilo to be one of its own. :p
    Mia.........she's already a top player before moving to Holland.

14. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    That's true, many Indonesian players will perform better overseas when they have the chance to play more in international arena. They can't compete or normally get less chance to represent Indonesia due to many competitors at home (e.g. Fung Permadi, Flandy/Eng etc). Then when they perform well, PBSI starts to realise it was a mistake and try to get them back :D

Ronald was still a permanent resident of Singapore when he got to the final of Singapore Open 2002 (lost to Chen Hong). I think he should be a citizen by now--and can represent Singapore in the Olympics.

Oh, Ronald only became more mature after getting 'treatment' from Mulyo Handoyo--Taufik Hidayat's coach. Ronald took his 1st GP title in Thai Open 2003, a few months after receiving the coaching from Mulyo ;)

#154 tama-aki, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  15. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Bad Fengshui?

Is it possible that tournament venue has bad Fengshui?

Bad or not, the Fengshui could be the same as in 1994 when the Chinese came home with nothing at the Japan Open.

History reenacted says the news here http://news.badminton-indonesia.com

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks rejang

I think your analysis is correct.

It appears that Ronald came to Singapore in 1993 to study in ACS (one of Singapore's more popular schools), that would be when he was about 14 years old since he is now 24. When he was in Jakarta, apparently he was from the same well known badminton club as Susi Susanti and Mia Audina.
    Coincidentally, Mia is also 24 and won this J Open Women's Singles title. But Mia represented Indonesia when she was only 16 and when Susi retired, high hopes were on her to replace Susi. But as events turned out, Mia is now representing the Netherlands but I'm not sure whether she is now a Dutch citizen. I doubt so though.

Ronald, on the other hand, has never represented Indonesia in any of the international tournaments as he was too young and less skilful then and there were many better players in Indonesia. When he finished his secondary education in 1998, he was absorbed into the SBA professional training scheme and I must say the SBA has never lost sight of promoting the game here and trying hard to produce better players to represent the country. Of course, since we have no base and the local talented young people were more interested in the paper chase for a better career, the SBA had to start off by importing talented badminton players who are considered not good enough by their own countries. So we imported mainly teenage girls from China, who are now producing results, and adult players from Indonesia. So far, very few of the Indonesian imports have really proved themselves and many of their contracts were not renewed.

The SBA have invested a lot on these professional players, not only providing them the training with good coaches but also sending overseas for international tournaments. Ronald has long last justified the investments and will now be a very good role model for our youngsters who aspire to represent Singapore. Our Sport School should produce some results in 4 four years' time.

Ronald is special and he is indeed a Singapore citizen already and we hope he can win a medal at the Olympics. He is a determined young man and he works hard to achieve his objective. ;)

17. Jofianty

Jofianty Regular Member

so ...bao beat lin dan in semifinal in 32 miutes?
    and ronald beat bao in final - stright set ... :confused:
    hmmm...suprise...Surprise

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Nevertheless, Ronald does originate from Indonesia. His primary progressive years are still spent in Indonesia. If he were to grow up in the 80s or 90s in Singapore, I don't think he would be the great player he is today. Perhaps maybe only since a few years ago, Singapore is codusive to nurturing good players from the start.

But I give extra points to Ronald for developing into such a fine player given the lack of quality sparring partners in Singapore. He must have trained very, very hard and his huge stamina is obvious.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, Ronald was Indonesian-born. But those who do not quite understand think that he was an imported talent, ie a wholesale import who is already a house hold name like Taufik or Arbi. They don't seem to give any credit to the SBA and our government for spending so much time, effort and money to develop him and give him the opportunities to become such a great player he is today. But not Ronald. He has publicly acknowledged the role of the SBA in his badminton life just after his JO victory.

Would Ronald be the same if he did not turn pro and choose to become a Singapore citizen? He made the decision in 1998 to seriously consider badminton as a career when he was about 18. Indonesia at that time had many more talented players and I think Ronald would find if very difficult to get a place in the National squad. So he made a good choice making S'pore his home as he had admitted.

But of course, during the JO live telecast, his mother and his two sisters, one a doctor and the other a dentist, were watching his performance in Jakarta. His brother-in-law, Candra Wijaya, must be very pleased, probably still in Tokyo although he and Halim were knocked out during the QF by eventual winners, Ha and Kim, with a more respectable result, 5-15, 15-13, 4-15. It has been a very difficult decision for Ronald to turn pro but now that he has proven himself, I'm sure Singapore will be strongly behind him.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But if he were to come to Singapore when he was, say 5 years old, instead? The primary formative years had a great part to do with what he is today. There are very few late bloomers in badminton. Of course SBA provided lots of support to Ronald (with a talent like that, who won't?) but it's not the deciding factor. The deciding factor is Ronald himself. He would still be a success if he goes to Netherlands for instance.

But I agree that he is not just a wholesale import.