DSLR in All England??

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by colekwok, Dec 7, 2009.

1. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I have just booked the ticket for the All England 2010 final. I just wonder if I can take my DSLR (probably with a lightly longer zoom lens) with me into the Birmingham Arena? I had been there twice, but that was like 10 years ago, just wonder how tight the security these days.

2. Japioo

Japioo Regular Member

I have been last year and they were very strict against the use of any photo/video equipment.

3. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people

Cheers!

Umm, ok, then I'd probably just bring a tiny DC in my pocket.

I hope that they Yonex counter over there will have some nice goodies this year.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

I think what many professional sports arenas do is limit the size of the lens. Any "pocket" digital is ok but nothing with a lens longer than 1" or something, which pretty much rules out any SLR/DSLR.

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Yes, I know it well. It used to be more relaxing in terms of photography. With the 'copyright' laws these days, it is just hard to take any nice photos. These organisers are just too protective anyway, I think 99.999% of the audience won't sell their photographs anyway, and we are not even talking about flash photography and videos.

As a part-time photographer, sometimes it can get quite frustrated. I just wonder what's the point of buying nice camera equipment.

6. druss

druss Regular Member

I have a DSLR w/ 3 lenses, big flash and other equipment. I've done 2-3 weddings for friends and have 2 kids which I have wayyyy too many pictures of. I have to say that I've gotten my value from my equipment. Plus the great pictures I got on our vacations, especially our last one to Hawaii.

The sports arenas charge a fee for all professional photographers so they are just trying to protect a source of revenue. I agree that it's frustrating but they run a business.

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Well, I did quite a bit of 'other' photography, and weddings, of course. But as I am getting 'older', you just want to have lighter gears instead of the heavy stuffs.

8. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

As far as i recall..

..the AE pics posted in BC (if any), by regular BC members, weren't taken with semi-pro or pro DSLR camera body/lens.

10. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, well I managed to take a few with a Panasonic FZ28 which is an "ultrazoom", but that's only because the people checking your bags at the entrance weren't very thorough.

11. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    wow... but in MO, nobody cares what you bring in as long as it doesnt occupy the next seat!

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Off topic-Don't forget what happened in this yr's M'sia Open..^^

..and as far as i recall, in this yr's M'sia Open, nobody cares whether you take pics with the flash on or not; even the organizer disobeyed the rule..

13. Cindyy

Cindyy Regular Member

be careful! They checked every bag very strict last year! I hided my tiny one under my arm:)

14. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people

I guess they don't care about small DCs, otherwise, they have to ban mobile phones as well as some newer ones has got 8mp of resolution cam as well. :crying:

15. Cindyy

Cindyy Regular Member

Actually, although i brought my tiny one in, but really no chance to take. They got some people in front and behind as well to watch.

16. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    You may bring in your dslr. However, the guard will warn you not to use your flash. Tell them politely that you are not going to use your flash. It works well for me for the last few tournaments.

17. spencer1975

spencer1975 New Member

Auditor
    You can't bring any camera, my tickets arrived today and across the top read "strictly no video, film or photography permitted" I have been told if caught using a camera you will be asked to hand it over or leave. Be warned.