Are these "Net Touch" faults?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by narnia, Oct 18, 2008.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

However, read my posts, those are deemed faults. And I have referenced them too. www.worldbadminton.com/rules

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Loose lips sink ships, Erik. ;) Relevance is no defence for inaccuracy here; I prefer not to leave readers with incorrect beliefs about the laws.

3. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    We are discussing net faults here guys, there is no point in bringing up all sorts of info which bears no relevancy on the subject at hand, that only confuses matters. There is wide scale of different faults and therefore many ways for play to be dead, but that does not mean that that is relevant to our discussion in this thread. Releancy here is limmited to the shuttle yes or no being dead after having touched the net and that is what my point deals with, not with anything else.

4. Angel-a

Angel-a Regular Member

Gollum, let me give you an advice: Don't even try and give up! Erik knows every rule!

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As do I, and as should any player. A laws booklet is easy to obtain and brief to read.

It's pointless arguing this further, as it's clear Erik has a definite idea of what is relevant to a discussion (his input) and what is not relevant (my input, other input that attempts to correct or clarify his statements).

As I'm not a fan of conversations in which only one perspective is allowed, I bow out. ;)

6. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    No reason for bowing out Gollum, I never claimed you point on a shuttle touching person or dress is not correct, because it is. I only don't understand the reason for bringing it up. When you see a relevancy here, I would certainly be most interested.

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    I have my own case about touching the net:
    say i hit the bottom of the net (not the net-tape) as i try to lift a tight netshot from near the ground and while i swing upwards. Is that a fault?
    also, say i try to stab a netshot at chest level and i touch the middle of the net (still not the net-tape), is that a fault?
    lastly, say i kill the shuttle from the top of the net and i touch the netcord after hitting the bird with the remainder of the swing. However, the bird was hit at such a speed and angle that the shuttle hits the ground before my racquet touched the net-tape.

i got called on by an opponent for all three of those scenarios, but i definetely remember seeing at least the first one in a pro game and it not being called by the umpire. Any rules gurus who can interpret the rules for me?

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    2 out of 3 of the above would be considered faults, however common sense has to come in to play if the netshot is really tight. If I was umpiring, I'd let that one go - sometimes you can't help but to touch the net. I can't say I've ever been called or called anyone for this.

Stabbing at a netshot and touching the net is a fault because you touched the net and this could interfere with play. If it didn't move the net at all, then I'd let this go. However, it is rare that this would have no affect what so ever so chances, are, you'll get called for this.

If you hit a kill and it hit the ground before you touched the net, the shuttle was dead before you hit the net, meaning you couldn't fault - the shuttle was not in play. Still, you shouldn't hit the net incase the kill doesn't make it, or your opponent makes a miraculous return. If you hit the net before the shuttle finds the floor, then you've made a fault and loose the point.

Hope I've helped.

9. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    I am with Dan on this one.

10. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    thanks, i guess my opponent was just being an ass calling the first scenario x_X

11. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    This was my case: When playing doubles the opponent hit the shuttle high and it was coming straight downwards to the net. I thought that if I hit the shuttle at two meters high the opponents will start complaining I hit it on their side. And if I waited at the net level with my racket the shuttle will fall between the net and my racket like so many times before.Plus everybody would have good laugh. So I decided to hit as late as possible upwards to the net-tape. The timing was good. When I hit the net tape the shuttle was little bit under the net level and falling to the opponents side. The shuttle was not touching the net before I hit the net.

My common sense told that the shuttle was no more in play when I hit the net. Only a small tornado could bring the shuttle over the net anymore.

The umpire did not agree with me. I told him I know this rule but strange enough he did not turn his head.:rolleyes:

12. druss

druss Regular Member

I agree, fault in both cases as the description (as far as I can understand) still has the shuttle in play.

13. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

+1 - This is correct

14. ken chee

ken chee Regular Member

Businessmen
    how about the shuttle cross or within above the net n my racket over lap the net but it dont touch the net. is fault ?

15. druss

druss Regular Member

If you are talking about striking the shuttle on your side of the net but the racket continues past the top of the net as part of your swing without touching the net then it's legal, no fault.

16. ken chee

ken chee Regular Member

Businessmen
    oh.......... oic, i can swing more harder without touching the net. tq

17. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    now that this is raised up...

i remember there was a match between wang yihan and seungheebae...wang played a netshot, but it didn't go over, however while it is falling onto the chinese court, seung reached under the net and hit it...

both players contested but the point went to wang. Is it the right call?? Is the shuttle considered out of play when it evidently didn't go over and is already falling onto wyh's side of the court?

#37 DivingBirdie, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  18. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    Point should awarded to the Korean.

Gollum also right.

The umpire usually will shout/say it loud 'Fault' if the shuttle is out of play, if the Korean hit the net or hit the shuttle (below the net) after the 'Fault', the point went to the Korean.

From the picture below which I took recently. If the shuttle touches the net first and the cute Japanese touches the net later, the Japanese should win the point. Usually the umpire will shout 'Fault' if the shuttle touches the net, stuck onto the net or out of play. Any fault committed by the Japanese immediately after the 'Fault' announcement will not cause her a point.
    But she will lose a point if she touches the net first before the shuttle.

Attached Files:

#38 scann, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  19. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed, kind of silly since it's clear that the shuttle is going to hit the net but... part of the game.

Same as if a shuttle is going to go out but hits a players body instead. Sure everyone knew it was going out but the receiver could not get out of the way and gets a fault.

20. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    But the rule states that shuttle is out of play when it touches the net and begins to fall on the striker's side of the court,

it doesn't say that shuttle is in play until umpire shouts 'fault'...

So for the china open first round ws wang yihan vs seung hee bae second set second point, whose fault is it?? the umpire? for not shouting fault??