Looking for more power?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Repolho, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Repolho

Repolho Regular Member

I'm looking for recommendations for a new racket.

I'm not sure what standard I would be by you guys standard but here in Ireland I am division 2 standard. I play doubles, both mens and mixed and no singles.

My current racket is a Carlton Airblade Superlite. I'm not sure what tension it is strung at but I think its about 18/19 lbs (ost restringers in Ireland are afriad to put more than 20 lbs in a racket!). I love the manouverability of this racket, its brilliant on defense and great for deception. However I am looking to add a bit more power from the back of the court. Would getting it restrung at a higher tension give me a little bit extra?

Or ,what other rackets are out that might suit my needs?

Thanks.

2. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    one easy idea ... put some lead tape on top of the racket .. make it head heavy .. see if that give you the power you want?

No harm by testing right ?

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I'd suggest restringing to at least 22 lbs and trying that out. As a racket recommendation I'd suggest the AT900T or P.

4. Repolho

Repolho Regular Member

Hi Alexkho, I actually tried that before allright. I might have used to much,but I felt it was really straining my arm.

Also, while in search of power I don't want to lose what I really like about the racket ie. manouverability.

5. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    so you need something that cut thur the air and that is head heavy ....

Two racket i know has that one is Yonex Armotec 900 T the second one is the Victor Brave Sword 10.

if you have chance to give this two racket a try it might be what you are looking for .

6. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I understand that a heavier head can sometimes equate to more power, however I disagree with using tape for added weight. In my experiance the stiffness of the shaft/string tension/grip thickness are what contribute the most power.

I recomend adding a layer or two of grip, and stringing to around 23 with a good quality string before you start looking for a new racket.

If you do decide you want a new racket, you are going to want a racket that has stiff shaft and high string tension.

7. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    high string tension..time to search for new stringers haha

try yonex BG66 @ around 23lbs..might give you more power

8. Repolho

Repolho Regular Member

What will the extra layers of grip do for me?

Sounds like a restring at a higher tension is the way forward. I think I'll try this first before looking for a new racket. There are not many shops selling rackets here in Ireland and less still offering try before buy, so best to stick with what I know!

Thats sounds just about right. Thanks for the recommendations, I think I'll try a restring first but if I don't get the results I'm after I'll keep those rackets in mind!

9. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Repohlo,

I went through a similar experience as you last year. I had used an older Victor Columbia racquet that I have uswed for years and absolutely loved it. Fantastic for control, I had mastered the drops with it, etc. etc. but last year I felt that I needed to go head heavy in order to achieve more power. I went with the AT500 at first to try the Armortec series of Yonex at a lower cost that than the upper end racquets. It took me a while to adjust to the head heaviness - had a sore wrist and elbow for a few weeks. I certainly did notice a definite increase in power though and have since moved to the AT900 T as suggested in this thread by others.

I do not disagree with the comments of others to try to manipulate your old racquet before the burdened expense of a new one but I love the AT series from yonex. The Technique possesses a lot of the qualities that it appears you are looking for with a racquet, with the introduction of slightly head heaviness to improve power.

My 2 cents for ya;)

10. The Godfather

The Godfather Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    If you are looking for power get a Yonex Arcsaber 10 or a sotx woven 3

11. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    It does a lot actually, it will make your racket feel lighter, and I find there is a lot more control, particularily on the backhand side.

12. Repolho

Repolho Regular Member

A little update on my racket situation.

Damn, broke my racket today. Don't know how it happened,but I was just about to serve and my opponent pointed it out to me.

So, I'm now looking for a new racket. I was thinking apacs tantrum 200 just purely based on reviews on the net. I'd never even heard of the brand before logging on here. Any comments or other suggestions?

13. Repolho

Repolho Regular Member

Took a chance and ordered a Tantrum 200 from Racquet_sports on eBay. Heres hoping it lives up to the hype!