2010 Brunei Open

Discussion in '2010 Tournaments' started by seawell, Jan 12, 2010.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

JAPAN’S top shuttlers Reiko Shiota and Shintaro Ikeda will play an exhibition match during the Yonex Brunei Open Ike-Shio Cup badminton competition this month.

The two have been invited to join the tournament, jointly organised by the Brunei National Badminton Association and the Nippon Badminton Association, to be held from Jan 24-29 at the Indoor Stadium of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

Supported by the Embassy of Japan, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports and the Brunei Tourism Board, the competition is open to all badminton enthusiasts from around Borneo.

“The aim in organising the tournament is to strengthen the ties between the two (Brunei and Japan) countries since it is held to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Brunei-Japan Friendship,” said Hiroshi Okouchi, the First Secretary at the Embassy of Japan, in an interview with The Brunei Times yesterday.

“It will also be a good way to develop our diplomatic relations through sports as it will help the Brunei economy in terms of tourism,” added Okouchi.

Asked on the number of expected participants for the tournament, Okouchi replied: “We’re expecting around 300 shuttlers from around Borneo to take part. I believe Sabah and Sarawak are sending their state players. The tournament will also give the Bruneian shuttlers more competitive exposure.”

The pair of Ikeda and Shiota (known as the IKE-SHIO combination) are trying to qualify for the London Olympics in 2012 in the mixed doubles event.

Shiota, 26, is well known as the former women’s champion in the Japan Open for five consecutive years from 2004-2008.

Her mixed doubles partner, 29-year-old Ikeda, was the men’s doubles champion in 2008’s Japan Open.

In addition, Japanese shuttlers Keita Masuda and Noriyasu Hirata will also be visiting the Sultanate for the competition.

Masuda is the men’s singles champion in Japan from 1998 to 2002. He then claimed the men’s doubles champion in Japan from 2002 to 2004 before moving on to win the mixed doubles from 2005 to 2007.

Other achievements of the 30-year-old player included winning the US Open 2007 men’s doubles champion.

Hirata, 26, is the Japanese men’s doubles champion just last year.

Five categories will be contested in the five-day event: men’s singles and doubles, men’s veteran doubles, mixed doubles and junior doubles.

Entry fees is $20 for the singles category and $40 for doubles.

The junior category is open to shuttlers below 17 years old (born after 1993) while the veteran category is for players above 45 years old (born before 1965).

Entry forms can be obtained from Krisma Sports located on the first floor of the Centrepoint Hotel in Gadong. Completed forms with registration fees must be submitted before Jan 18. Further information can be obtained from Krisma Sports at 2456770 or 8742732. The Brunei Times

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

they just play there for tournament or only for exhibition?

3. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hey, invite us too, Brunei! :p

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I will be there - to watch and support my friends who are joining!

Let me know if anyone is going to watch too. PM me

5. george@chongwei

Take some videos or pics is what i can request:p

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What is the prize money? Can we compete?

7. kemeer

kemeer Regular Member

Senior Management
    Yes, the Jap players will only be participating in the exhibition matches.

8. kemeer

kemeer Regular Member

Senior Management
    Unfortunately, the competition was organised for contingents within the Borneo Island (Brunei, Sabah, Sarawak, Kalimantan, Labuan).

Will be joining the doubles just for the sake of experience and benching my level. Hope i get a favourable draw in the 1st round. Reaching the 2nd round would be great news. Lol...

Can't remember the prize money tho... Get prizes for the lucky draw, good enough already also.... LOL

9. Monster

Monster Regular Member

kemeer: how was ur first day?

I will be going to watch this Friday.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Did you manage to squeeze into round 2?

11. george@chongwei

take more pics of reiko;)

12. minmorni86

minmorni86 Regular Member

Yeah seriously get some videos up and pics thanks. i was gonna compete, but got stuck in melbs instead -_-. .. . so blaa...

13. kemeer

kemeer Regular Member

Senior Management
    Haha... Nope, could not even play my usual game, as my nerves got the best of me.

Disapointing really, as i was rarring to go, and when it was our turn to play just being on the court and knowing that you are putting yourself out for everyone to critique, it really was nerve recking. hahaha:eek::D

Scorline was 21-12, 21-14. Well the possitive side of it was, i now know what to expect in future tournaments and should just relax. AND, the scorline could have been worse.LOLOLOL:rolleyes::crying:

14. kemeer

kemeer Regular Member

Senior Management
    Finals are tommorrow plus the exhibition matches by the Japanese National team. Will do what i can to get some fotos, particularly Reiko... She's so~ yummy....

There are some fotos tho in my mates blog if ure interested in looking it up... Check www.ranoadidas.com and scroll till you catch what u like....

#14 kemeer, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Was your opponent strong? Judging from the scoreline and with better composure, you could have taken the 2nd set and pull it off on the 3rd set.

Yeah, please do.

16. kemeer

kemeer Regular Member

Senior Management
    I agree with you, totally!!:crying::rolleyes:

Strong?? Lust just say theat the pair do come from a reputable badminton team(Athirah), which is sponosored by a member of the royal family here.

If we were in a better composure, would we have been able to put up a good fight? I'd say Definetly!!:D:D In fact, i've payed against one of the oppoition partners before, and if i could recall correctly, we did (not my current partner) did win the game with a close margin. Hmm... No wonder he was always giving the shuttle to my partner during the tourney... :eek::D:rolleyes::p;)... hahahah

Anyways, will be looking to join more tourneys this year and do more benching... Will update u guys on the next event, if there's any...

Cheerio
    ;)

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Change partner:D:p. and better luck next time.
    Awaiting the photos.

18. george@chongwei

yes, photos please.

19. Ching293

Ching293 Regular Member

DSCN4222.jpg DSCN4219.jpg

photos taken from my lousy camera.. :)

20. Ching293

Ching293 Regular Member