Worst Stringing Mistakes.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Quasimodo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

It poked a hole in my hand between thumb and forefinger. When I stopped swearing and it stopped bleeding I found it a quite awkward place to put a plaster on. And it was my right hand, so it made playing badminton more awkward, and that was the most annoying thing.

2. wilson_ku

wilson_ku Regular Member

When i was pulling the last main string the racket cracked at the 3 o' clock area of the racket. this happened to me twice. and i still dont know why. can anyone explain?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think my worst mistake is giving rackets back to people too soon after stringing (before the bed has had a chance to settle down). I play with 15-25 yr olds of C+ ability, and the two guys whose rackets I have returned on the same day have broken strings within 2 hrs (most recently, Barry broke his after FOUR shots, the breakage occurring at dead on 9 o'clock - crosses without mains behind them).

I think I'm going to factor in a hold time of at least 12 hrs from now on...

Having said all this, I have just passed the highest level of certification with the UKRSA:D, and this wasn't covered in the syllabus!

4. Azyre

Azyre Regular Member

i usually use my hand to hit the strings for a couple minutes and that usually solves the problems with any strings breaking right after stringing. i dont think a hold time of that long is really neccessary :p

5. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    hi guys, how likely is it that you give a racket to your stringer and was later told that your racket breaks at the 4 o'clock position? the stringer is a good friend of mine so I will just let it go but how suspecious is it to have it happen in the golden (4 or 8 o'clock) position?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The racket can be pre-damaged from previous clash, etc. Also, incorrect mounting / string technique can be a possible reason. :rolleyes:

7. Lio_d

Lio_d Regular Member

Computer scientist, student in actuary
    I bought a stringing machine some weeks ago, a pro's pro challeger II, really nice. After a lot of reading on the internet, I began to string my first rackets:
    I begun with an AT 500: this racket seemed solid, and I did it quite well, but for a first time I used a really low tension... The second one was a nano 8000 (1st generation), and I broke it at 2 o clock while stringing the mains :eek:. Third one: a nano 8000 2nd gen: I tried to be more careful, tried a lower tension too an it was good... The 4th one: my precious nano 9900... Bam! Same thing than my second: broken :(:( !!

:crying:

I was so angry and sad, and I didn't understand wat was my mistake... I tried to think about it... and finally I bought me a tension calibrator:
    in fact, I relied on the scale on the machine, and after using my tension calibrator, the result was that I was stringing at... more than 30 lbs :eek::eek: !! So... I removed one of the two weights on the machine :)rolleyes:!), used the tension calibrator again and now everything's fine...

Could I have been more stupid than this?!

But now I'm wondering what's the real tension I of my "safe" nano 8000... and will never now it, but it plays really good! :D

8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

The bold part pretty much sum up your costly mistake. For badminton stringing, you only use one weight. The 2nd weight is meant for tennis racket. Well, hope you learn from your mistake(s) and become a good stringer soon. All the best.

9. lynchem

lynchem Regular Member

I just bought a Pro's Pro Pioneer (quite like the challenger I) a week ago.

My first attempt on my Kason TSF98 ti I tried a 2 piece stringing method and got the mains done ok but when doing the crosses I snapped the mains trying to get through a shared grommet with an awl.

My seconds try I did a 1 piece pre-string first to try and get into the shared grommets with no tension. This seemed to work but I didn't leave enough loop to reach my gripper and when I tried to use with just enough length, the gripper frayed the string. When I tried to get the string out it stuck in a grommet and I nearly broke it.

My third try (about 2 hours ago) I did the same 1-piece pre-string and in about 2 hours I managed to string my first racket (most of the time spent fighting with shared grommets). Not quite perfect though as I noticed at the end that I one of my mains finished on 11 instead of 12 - I forgot to skip. I have no more string left to cut it and try again and training is tomorrow. I'm hoping it won't damage the racket. This is the only strung racket I have at the moment so I'll have to try it.

Anyway, thanks to all of you helped me not make MORE mistakes (if that's possible). This forum is invaluable.

/Mark

10. gary_liu

gary_liu Regular Member

Lynchem should look at the is video, it help you with the share grommets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG-nlb4JxU

but we dun need to flatten the string, juct cut the string in a point, and follow whatever he said !~..... enjoy~

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

For badminton I believe Yonex recommends Bottom-Up 2 piece. That is what I saw at 2005 Worlds and at US Opens.

12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would start at 5am =)
    I had a lot of fun stringing 50 rackets Dec 30-31 for J.I.T.
    Wish you could come Feb 6th
    I will make fun of Paul next week!!! I will watch him play

13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

14. lynchem

lynchem Regular Member

Thanks for that Gary. I had started cutting the tip of the string to get rid of the frayed bits already but I didn't think to cut into a point. And the use of the pliers to push it through is clever. Should help a lot, cheers!

15. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanx to the numerous threads on BC and much advice from fellow stringers, I can say my teething problems were minimal. But amongst those things that happened to me the worse are:
    1- Breaking a racket at 1 o'clock when i opened the top side clamps to allow the string in a 'blinded' grommet.:crying:
    2- Cutting a main by mistake while cutting the end knot clean. Wasting a string and 1 hr of good work. :crying:
    3-I also learnt that the 'tensioning pliers' is a dangerous thing to use:D

16. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I usually watch TV while stringing.

During the a particularly engrossing episode of '24', I finished stringing, tied off and cut the last knot, and tried to take the racket off the machine but it wouldn't budge.

Why? I'd actually LOOPED one of the strings under the main arm of the machine and fixed it to the machine! Couldn't believe I hadn't spotted it until I was all finished. Wasted hour and string.... :eek:

17. AntoTH

AntoTH Regular Member

Student
    I started to string badminton rackets on my own just two months ago: i started to make practice with some dumbs rackets and when i felt up to string well i strung my friend's racket (arcsaber 10) and finally i tried with my own, a victor magan ATB 7000 (Here's a picture, http://www.sweatbandbadminton.co.uk/shop/largerImagePopUp.asp?id=18143"])

Now you see that small bridge? one of my stringing machine's blocks wasn't able to enter into the racket, due to that bridge... so i tried to use something else to keep the racket still; my choice ended into some sort of screw that seemed to work well...

It wasn't true T_T

I broke my racket when i reached one of the last mains (I was stringing at about 26 Lbs, 12 Kgs to be accurated).

Just don't be so dumb guys xD

18. TheBadStringer

TheBadStringer New Member

the worst stringing mistake is to take your racquet to Sports Experts...if you value your racquet..

they dented my frame and told me to go to Canadian Tire to buy paint to cover up for their mistake, wow...no appologies either...great staff at the Brossard (Montreal Area) Sports Experts

19. hesho

hesho Regular Member

this is kinda funny. Painful but funny. I released the tension not realizing where i was standing. I was standing over the crank when i released the tension and............ i took a break from stringing after lol.

Stupid, and funny, i admit.. i learned my lesson though lol. Besides that, i haven't really done anything crazy to be honest. I've only broken 1 racquet that had a crack in it already.