Is badminton affecting your life?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by smashfun, Jan 6, 2010.

1. smashfun

smashfun Regular Member

While looking through the forum for games, I have seen the same few names appearing in a lot of social groups. It seems like they are playing almost everyday. I wonder sometimes whether badminton is affecting their normal life. :confused:

Ask yourself these questions and answer truthfully:
    How many times do you play per week?
    Do you give up your social life for badminton?
    Do you have a balance between your sport and your social life?

No offense to anyone. =D This topic is open for discussion. :D

2. psychophant

psychophant Regular Member

Pedicurist
    i sincerely believe that the amount of time/effort spent on any particular hobby/activity is very much dependent on the priorities of one's life, which will most likely to change with time.

using myself as example, during my school/uni days, sports took up the bulk of my time, alternating between badminton and going to the gym. weekends were reserved for partying and family, tho.

however, after joining the workforce and getting married, i gave up going to the gym altogether and have been playing badminton at most 3 times per week. weekends are reserved for being a "window-shopping slave to my other half".

i do believe that the amount of time spent for badminton (or any other leisurely activities) will decrease further with the arrival of kids.

to sum it all up, the amount of time spent on badminton really depends on which phase of life one is currently at. different phases = different priorities.

cheers!

3. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    badminton has consumed my life this year. This is will be my 4th year playing and i think about badminton daily and nightly. Spend a good amount of money on it as well. I've gotten my friends and family into badminton. I'm reading badminton manga now... watching youtube videos to train, constantly going to tournaments. arggg i cant stop, but i still maintain my other life pretty well. Hanging out with friends, dating, schoolwork etc...

Play time average a week; one 6 hour session a week, till high school season starts, then its daily.

4. thejym

thejym Regular Member

There's badminton manga!? :eek:

5. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
  6. druss

druss Regular Member

I play 2-3 times a week, if I wasn't i'd either be working or on the computer, overall I'd say badminton is a better choice over either.

I have 2 small kids and a busy job, I like to do activities in my off time (not working or playing/taking care of kids) that allow me to leave it all behind due to the concentration required on the activity. I still maintain a social life but not on the weekdays.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Usually..

..when someone is new to the sport, esp. badminton, one would have that interest, eagerness, hunger, desire and passion to play the sport 7 days a week and 52 weeks a yr. Yes, take it from my own testimony..
    But after a while, whether one is married/has kids or not, usually that person will grow less interested, less eager, less passionate, less hunger and less desire to play.
    A few could still maintain it, but usually as we age and get too busy with work or other priorities, badminton will be on the middle end if not back end.

As for the questions, here are my honest-to-goodness answers:
    - Once. I'm lucky to squeeze in twice a week.
    - Heck no.
    - Right now, the balance seems to tilt more on the social life. Maybe once i realize i've gained an extra 10 lbs, then i'd start playing more baddy, again...

#7 ctjcad, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. smashfun

smashfun Regular Member

Haha! I suppose u play badminton just to keep yourself in shape? From what i see from the replies, most of you guys play 1-3 times per week.
    As mentioned earlier, I have seen people who play almost everyday, every night on weekdays and almost the whole day on weekends. These are the people who i want to hear from them. How can they manage their social life and badminton both at the same time? Are their friends all playing badminton? Do they even have other social activites beside badminton?

9. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    It's not my social life I need to worry about, it's my student life.
    I play an average of 5 days of the week so I don't really study that much.
    New Year's Resolution: STUDY MORE!

10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I Can honetly say that badminton has taken control of my life, I'm on the courts usually a minimum of 6 days a week and as most as 9 or 10 times having multiple sessions a day be it training or playing socially with friends after coaching. Most of the time ill miss going out saturday night to a club or parties on the weekends because Im to busy with badminton or I'll have to miss smaller things but when there important stuff that comes up I deffinetly will put that 1st over badminton. Ontop of that I spend alot of time away from home at tournament for either college, provincial/national tournaments and the few international tournaments I attend each year. So I will agree that right now badminton is a huge priority in my life but I know one day I'm going to have to retire and just play here and there once or twice a week, for now though full steam ahead.

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    is "social" = party and get drunk???

or can social mean playing badminton in a club, meet friends and have fun playing with other people???

Even at work u can have a social-life, so if u r a pro, I guees the club and people thier also support the social aspects - Hopefully :)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Then..

..most likely, the time spent on the baddy court **is** or **could very well be** their social life. Social life/activities, meaning, doing things not related at all to baddy or work or study, correct? Or maybe they don't sleep much and spend their social life after baddy...:confused:

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Growing up in MAS, I played table tennis and badminton everyday if possible, just sheer addiction/passion at that time. Endless energy and like the energizer battery, can go on and on...Since coming to Canada in 1978, I never played nor followed the game till I think 2004 when I picked up badminton again. During that time, I travelled across Canada, on contract assignments, sleep time is a luxury, no time for badminton. When I first played in 2004, after the first 7 points, I almost fainted and blacked out, and that was an awakening to my health. I panted and turned pale when I walked the stairs. Annual health check, my chosterol, HLL and LDL are all borderline on medication. That was bad.
    You are right that kids and also career control our life. Now that my 2 kids are independent, my younger one is 2nd year University, and I have a 8-4.30 job, my wife and I played 2-3 times a week at our church and 1-2 times at the local health club and occasionally at the winter club and the local malaysian club as well. If I am not playing badminton, I would exercise/sauna at the health club, therefore you can say 6-7 days a week, we do some form of exercise or another. And get to know many friends as well.
    On losing weight, running/jogging is the best. It builds cardio and stamina needed for badminton. I ran 2.2km (20 laps) every 2-3 day, I can play singles badminton with the 3 youngsters (fairly good players) every Tuesday night without panting out. H2H I am still leading them. Freedom comes when the kids are grown up. Retirement for us is anytime and 4-5 months in MAS is where we are looking at...for now.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow..

..26 years of no badminton. No wonder when you came to Anaheim for the 2005 WC, it was like a heaven-sent, wasn't it??..It was like you experienced and became a born-again baddy nut...;):cool:

15. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    My sport IS my social life. XD

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Actually, I came to WC2005 to see TH, LD, CH, PG play live after seeing them on video. ZN, XXF, ZM are bonus added feature. I heard of LCW but I don't know how good he was, and the MAS player I really wanted to see was WCH. Of the 14 in our group, 3 of us were in the Pond from morning till closing every night, we had lunch box chinese food brought in. Motel was just 5 minutes away, and darn cheap as well. You can say all these years of no badminton, I made up in one WC05...worth every minute of time spent there, first class and world class badminton, and so darn cheap.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^If you want an even cheaper experience (well, sort of)..^^

..sans the airplane ticket (i know, i know, but better get them fast before they're all sold out), then you should plan for this coming Thomas & Uber Cup in your hometown!!...If you think it was so darn cheap enjoying baddy in 2005 WC, wait til you're in M'sia. Even cheaper foods and even more delicious dishes, oooooohhh lala (okay, i won't tempt you any further;))..And if you have relatives in KL to provide accommodation, boy, it's gonna be a bargain trip...Can you make it??..:):cool:

#17 ctjcad, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    My sisters and brother, my in-laws are all in KL and MAS...3RM to 1CAD, sure MAS is cheap to travel to...I know of TC in KL, not sure if I can get away. Besides my full time job, I have my own consulting work and have contracted several projects to work on this summer, it will be extremely tough to get away...btw, air ticket to Anaheim, I cashed out my aeroplan miles:p:D motel room US$40 split between me and my friend...Also, there is one place near the Pond, my friend drove and we went there after the game, fried noodle plus milk tea (unlimited refill) costs US$6...no way you can get that in Calgary, Canada.

19. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

While I am not myself playing every night on weekdays, this is only so because the place I play in opens too late on three days of the week, for me, and because I need the rest days inbetween. ;) So I average 2-3 times a week, one of which is 4 hours straight, on Saturday morning.

I have always had some hobby which kept me busy a lot. Currently, this is badminton (again). I plan my work around this, and still manage to spare enough time for family, eat&sleep (it's not that hard actually, I sometimes wonder why some people never seem to have time for anything).

So I have no problem imagining how someone who has no family to speak of, and not many other hobbies, manages to play 5 or more times a week. I mean, other people hang around in a bar 5 times a week. ;)

20. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I'd love to play everyday, every night, all weekend. Unfortunately, I have college to attend to XP