is this considered distracting?????

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ilostmybrain, Jan 1, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    In this thread, we don't even know how loud ilostmybrain is yelling

It's actually up to ilostmybrain 's opponent. If the opponent says "Please stop yelling*, then please stop yelling. If not, yell as loud as we can in our games. ;););)

It's up to the opponent's request. In this thread, we don't even know how loud ilostmybrain is yelling. Personally, I wouldn't complain. But I would hope that ilostmybrain would lose his voice via yelling too much. :p:p:p

Edit: ilostmybrain could end up as ilostmyvoice. ;););)

#21 chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

Some people are born yellers and have a loud voice. Some have a quiet voice and don' t enjoy yelling. Your dictating how the other person should behave based on your preferances. How would you feel if I tell you to change the color of that shirt because its distracting me because its so bright. LOL. That is not right. He is not breaking the rules.

So YELLL!!!!

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That depends on how you approach the game.

There's a difference of attitude here that manifests itself as you move up to higher standards of play, where the players are more competitive -- especially the men.

At typical club level, badminton is often more of a social thing, and players are more inclined to be accommodating. We're all just here to have fun, right?

At higher levels of play -- and even just club play, not tournaments -- the players tend to get more competitive. They also usually have more match experience, and some of them like to play psychological games. One of these games is to complain about some legitimate behaviour of their opponent's, saying either that it's against the rules (when it's not) or that it's "distracting".

It's psychologically disadvantageous to concede these complaints. Naturally one should not break the rules -- otherwise, why play at all? -- but you have to be rather hard-edged about these things. The alternative is to get steam-rollered by the opponent's mind games.

For example, I like to shake my racket gently up and down in my fingers while receiving serve. My opponent complains about it. What should I do? Should I change my preferred way of playing, so that he is more comfortable? At a casual, friendly, social level of play, that's exactly what I would do. Yet against strong opposition, I won't give an inch. Why let my opponent dictate how I should play?

If you want to shout when you smash, go right ahead. You know that it's not against the rules, as the pros do it all the time in international tournaments. They even do this when playing "jump drop shots" sometimes, because it can help disguise the drop shot.

If your opponent finds it distracting, then that's just tough for him. At least he has a comfortable excuse for losing. ;)

(Of course, you may come up against some local rules -- say, the club explicitly disallows shouting. This is a separate issue.)

This has actually happened to me. But then, I do wear a very bright shirt. ;)

#23 Gollum, Jan 4, 2010
  4. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    It's ok to grunt, even grunt loudly; but once people call it yelling or shouting, that's where it can get ridiculous.

I personally wouldn't complain. I just laugh. It's one thing to GRUNT to hit harder. It's another to SHOUT to intimidate.

I remember playing against a shouter this past November, I was thinking, "Is this guy serious?"
    Then I beat him.
    THE END :D

One of my favorite shots.
    Always makes the audience laugh.

#24 hellopanda3, Jan 4, 2010
  5. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

Very well put Gollum. Never let the opponant dictate the pace and how you play. If you want to improve your game you have to play to the best of your abilities and ignore whatever your opponant does or say to you. Remember they are just using this tactic to throw you off your usual attacking game. If you fall for this you will be more lay back and won' t be as effective. I know that I am a yeller too. If I take my opposition seriously I will yell and shout when I smash or drop. But if I don' t take them seriously I don' t go all out and my movement will be very slow and absolutly no shouting. Some people think that I insult them if I don' t yell :eek:. You can' t satisfy everyone.

Just play your own game and tell them what your doing is perfectly legal and ask them to watch the pros when they play.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We are still insisting not to answer the opening post question in this thread

Since we are still insisting not to answer the opening post question in this thread, we shall then digress.

We shall create a new thread to talk about this topic:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79553

7. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

I seriously don't get people who yell. I think the last guy I played who yelled was back when I just started playing competetivly in the lowest rank (D) here in Denmark. Since then I've moved up quite a bit, playing in the second best/best rank I haven't encountered anyone who yelled. Sure there have been some grunters but there is a huge difference between grunting and yelling. And most of the pros are actually grunting rather than yelling and they aren't doing so on EVERY smash.

But what I REALLY don't get about it is where you get the energy to play these mental games - there is enough to think about on the court without the "should I yell or not" thoughts as well. I would recommend you focus more on figuring out how to play your opponent and actually WIN the game straight up rather than trying to win it by annoying your opponent - at least I find this more satisfying, since I know that whoever I beat it is because I am actually better than them.

Fairplay is one of the cornerstones in this sport, and frankly, yelling for no reason (like when trying to do it deceptivly) isn't really fairplay. It might not be directly forbidden, but neither is being an arrogant prick and both results in people disliking you, and why make enemies on the court?

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think we may be getting hung up on the exact words that people use. One man's "yell" is another man's "grunt".

Screaming your head off is not okay (at least, not in badminton! We are not yet cursed with a Sharapova).

Making a quiet noise is obviously fine.

Somewhere in between, there's a transition from "reasonable levels of noise" to "unreasonable levels of noise". In adjudicated matches, the umpire regulates this. For the rest of us, we just have to use some judgement.

If you're shouting louder than the pros are shouting, then you're probably too loud. Adjudicated international matches set the norms that the rest of us should follow.

#28 Gollum, Jan 4, 2010
  9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We have now moved to a new thread

We have now moved to a new thread:

Hope to read your comments there. :):):)

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh, do give the officiousness a rest, Chris. :rolleyes: I don't recall anyone appointing you Netiquette Nazi.

You have moved to a new thread; hope it's nice for you over there. I'll put my comments in whichever thread I choose, thanks very much.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I'll put my comments in whichever thread I choose, thanks very much

The stated point is well taken. :):):)

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

This is hilarious

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If you deviate in the slightest you WILL be punished

:D:D:D Hahaha... Yes, it's hilarious.

I like the part which says "If you deviate in the slightest you WILL be punished". :D:D:D

14. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Hahaha !

I can relate a lot of BC-ers with the various warriors now. LOL

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I don't believe that this discussion is off topic: if not there's no point of more than one reply to this thread, which is probably to mention the rule or to tell the OP to go do some research.

The rule in which is being discussed has a grey area attached to it; is ilostmybrain deliberately trying to distract his opponent or not? He is deliberate in his yelling, but not in his intent. So according to this intention, he's not guilty. However, his opponent is being distracted; well it's not ilostmybrain's fault he cannot tolerate yelling. What if ilostmybrain was wearing a bright shirt, or had bright shoes on? Is he going to have to change clothing because his opponent is distracted? What if he brought some very good looking supporters and his opponent is distracted? Does he have to remove them from the facility?

I dont' think the law is saying that shouting while smashing is illegal. ilostmybrain's situation is in a grey area. However if he as doing something like yelling out "your shoes are ugly!" when his opponent was playing a stroke, definately he is deliberately cheating.

16. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Well my shouts are like the one in the video link i posted earlier, what about that?

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It should be okay because your opponent is probably trying to play mind games on you. If he only calls you for shouts if you win the point off a smash and not otherwise, it's quite obvious that he intends to distract you...

18. Raymond Wong

Raymond Wong Regular Member

I work for RSL
    there is a rule about court behavior and abusive/distruptive behavior will be dealt with. yea i read the whole rule thingy, but i dot remember what the punishment. All i know its umpire discresion, and if you dont have an umpire, then report to the draw desk. they'll be obliged to give an umpire/judge.

19. Raymond Wong

Raymond Wong Regular Member

I work for RSL
    Its all umpires discresion. If you didnt do an out right "HIIIYAHHHHHHHHHHHONDAMITSUBISHIATTTAKK!!!" then yea, you can (if he does it 2-3 times take it up with the judge/draw desk. They'll be obliged to send someone.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Be considerate to everyone playing in the hall

Yes, that could be the reason.

But we need to be considerate to not only our opponents, but to everyone playing in surrounding courts, who are concentrating in their own games.

That's why we created this thread: