Best of 3 games vs best of 5 games?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Cheung, May 5, 2006.

?

Best of 3 sets vs best of 5 sets

1. Best of 3 games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Best of 5 games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would support a 5 game match on this. But I also think 5 games gives more combinations to make a match more interesting. 2 games down and you think the game is over but then there is an incredible comeback. Sounds more interesting than 1 game down and coming to win 1-3. Such comebacks are good for reporting and generating interest.

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I don't think you really have to worry about badminton turning much more like tennis because it wouldn't be badminton anymore :(. Badminton does not have nowhere near the rest intervals like tennis. We also do not get as much serve opportunities as tennis. Mess up a serve in tennis? No problem bounce the ball for a few seconds walk around and serve again. If the 15 X 5 system is adopted 15 rallies to win is much more than 4 shots in tennis (if that is the case to win a set). So I don't think there really is a trend toward lesser rallies per set.

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

3X21 for singles.
    5X21 for doubles.

4. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

The 2 minutes interval is not just sitting and enjoying the sun. That is for TV commercial. When not go to commercial, the fans can see Maria Sharapova walking over the comfy chair in her tight dress with the Nike swoosh on it, wiping her sweat, and drinking her Gatorade bottle. Those are the TV moments that advertisers dream for.

For us baddy fans, wouldn't you like to see some close up shot of Reiko, Wang Lin, or whoever you favorite players are? How much (more) Li Ning would pay for wearing their logo? Which company will supply the drink?

5. *dave*b*

*dave*b* New Member

Best of 3.

..........unless you've lost the first 2 of course.:p

6. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I think best of 3 is good already. 5 would be better however as it was said before 5 games per match can become a lot of games in a tournament. You need to ask yourselves why 3 or why 5 games. The key is to reduce variability. Two strong teams can battle over one game and the inferior team can squeeze out a win. Extend the number of games and this will reduce variability. There is another aspect that is introduced when you increase the number of matches, and that is endurance. Cheung you said it doesnt matter if its new scoring system (nss) or old scoring system (oss), but i believe that also makes a difference since old scoring system were longer matches. If you want to determine who is the best player, then you simply need to find who can win the most over the long run, however these are tournaments and the variability is also part of the fun. The superbowl is decided over just one game, and is one of the biggest sporting events in the world, and I believe the biggest event in the USA. I vote 3

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i believe there is no perfect scoring system, each kind will put more emphasis on certain skills. The part i like in NSS is allowing a formal break at 11 point, where player can pause, think, and maybe get advice from coach that could change the game momentum, OSS don't formally allow that. So, in a sense, NSS is comprised of 6 possible smaller 'game sets'.

8. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    Being also a tennis player, I believe badminton should implement a scoring system similar to tennis. NO, not the 15-30-40-game, set, match scoring. That would be extremely dumb for badminton since the receiver has pretty much the same chance in winning the points as the server.
    What I'm suggesting is as follows:

1) Keep the 21 points rally system.
    2) For small tournaments, have it best of 3 games.
    3) Keep scheduling so that small tournaments last 1 week.
    4) For big tournaments, have it best of 5 games.
    5) Change scheduling so that big tournaments last 2 weeks.

I don't know how many people attend badminton tournaments but this in turn will bring to the bigger tournaments:

1) More dimension to the badminton game because of longer matches.
    2) Better play overall because players get to rest an entire day.
    3) More revenue because there are 2 weeks of play
    4) More prize money for the players because frankly they don't get paid
    crap.

This works in theory of course and I don't know if it will actually work in practice.

9. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Best of FIVE x 21 for me.

10. StarcraftTerran

StarcraftTerran Regular Member

I believe the old scoring system is a much better scoring system. In the 21 system, when its 16-20, you are probably going to lose, and so you can't really and all hopes are lost. However with the 15 point system, you can be down 10-14 and you can still come back up and win again, as long as you don't lose the rally twice consecutively. I think 3 games would be enough because in a 5 games, it all just comes down to who has more endurance, so the player who is more fit will usually win

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The best player should have a good balance of skill, power, mental strength and endurance. 5 x 21 is probably the best test of that

12. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

...but isn't being physically fit (mentally as well) a given in most sport?

13. StarcraftTerran

StarcraftTerran Regular Member

Yes, but i just think that person who is really fit and all they do is clear and drop to tire the other person out will win in a game of 5 and it wouldn't be a battle of skill but a battle of endurance, which is fine, but i like watch and play more tactical games where the winner is decided by their skills and control

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You're assuming the more skilled player can't overcome the rabbit in 3 or 4 games. If a supposedly fitter player is being outplayed by the better player, he too will get tired both physically and mentally. His shots won't be as precise giving the skilled player more chances for put aways.

15. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    There would need to be significantly long breaks between the games, otherwise the stamina required would be simply too great. Just playing 3 games of top intensity Badminton at the world-class level requires loads of stamina which many players do not possess - imagine what would happen if they had to play 5!
    If you are suggesting something like 5 minute breaks between the games then yes, that is much more realistic, but as to whether I would prefer it ... I think not. A lot of the fun of watching and playing Badminton is the getting tired bit, which would be removed by breaks long enough for 5-game matches to be feasible.

16. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Increasing to 5 sets will force players to conserve energy during a match, which slows down the game and makes it less entertaining to watch.

17. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    By extending the length of a match, you would be rewarding stamina at the expense of skill/tactics, and the quality of play would inevitably suffer.
    If you just want a contest of stamina, then go run marathons or take up triathlon - don't play badminton!

18. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

5 sets of 11 point like table tennis

no point playing the set when it is 17-8 , player will give up.