Strategy for perceived skill difference

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by t3tsubo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    This is the hypothetical situation:
    You are playing someone who is about your current skill level, but his opinion of you is that ou are still a noob that he can roll over without breaking much of a sweat. This is eiher because you have improved greatly since the last time you he played ou are that you purposefully looked like a noob during the pre-game warmpup (tricky =D).
    With this perceived difference, how should you play your first few points - if not the entire game? Do you try hit you best attacking winners right away or do you play long rallies and stay passive? The way i see it, hitting amazing on the line winners right away would either tell your opponent that you're actually very good - or that you are getting lucky and gambling on good shots to win you the rally quickly. Playing long rallies on the other hand would maybe allow him to see for himself that you are actually a decent player that he shouldnt underestimate.
    The point is - how should you play to keep that "percieved diference in skills" as long as apossible while still scoring points and giving yourself a chance to "kick it up another gear" when the game gets to 18 all?

#1 t3tsubo, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

As one who moved from "noob" to "dork" in a quantum leap (after discovering BC :)) l vote for you to go all-out right away.

This might not be the right strategy if you are in a high-level tournament and playing best two-out-of-three. But if it's social badminton, there is nothing better than to flummox your opponent with a quick lead that keeps growing as he realizes, bit by bit, that you are no fluke.

Conversely there is nothing worse than being over-confident and purposely keeping it close, only to choke at the end.:rolleyes:

Regardless of your strategy, you should play honestly and honourably without looking to humiliate anyone. BTW, what was your secret to your big improvement? It sounds like you have a worthy story!:)

3. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Well, the situation i was hypothesizing was in a tournament, where you are trying to advance and beat the other person. Hence, having them think they are "playing around" with you for as long as possible while still keeping the score close is (maybe?) a good strategy so you have a gear to kick up to.
    If you go all out right away, then he may chalk up your points to either fluke/gamble shots that you cant reproduce, or that he might have to revise his perception right? Just thinking aloud here on what best to do to keep the other person in the dark for as long as possible.

4. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

The best way is to not hit killers all the time, like smashing or dropshotting offensively whenever the shuttle is lifted.

Play around and wait for him to give easy shots to kill, and do kill. Even if it gives you a 10 point lead, take it. If he's a fool, then he'll just think that you're getting the points cause he's making the mistakes. But in reality, you're moving him around better and thus causing him to give away easy winners.

5. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    if you are "experienced" player, you should be able to tell by how they hit..
    I can just tell, by how they hit their back hand, or during the warm up..

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Don't be intimidated by your opponent's antics

Why worry about his/her opinion? ;););)

It is his/her skill/experience/strength/form that you need to worry about.

Believe or not, a weaker or less experienced player can often defeat a stronger or more experienced opponent. Don't be intimidated by your opponent's antics.

#6 chris-ccc, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  7. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I'm not so sure about this one...I can definitely hit the shuttle pretty well for both fore and backhand during warmups and training. However, once the game starts, its a much different story :p

I would say, just worry less about your opponent and focus on your game.

8. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    ..I can definitely hit the shuttle pretty well for both fore and backhand during warmups and training. However, once the game starts, its a much different story :p
    ===================
    I can tell how good of a player are you by watching how you use your risk, during the warm up..
    some of players use funky moves just to get shuttle over the net.. when they do backhand shot or smash, if that is the case then the players might be strong, but not a good player.

If you master the technique, you should hit the same way during the warm up and the game, the fact that you hit differently during the game that is an indication that you have not master your basic technique..

#8 sac_man, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I don't think this is a good idea.

To put it in the simplest possible terms: if you have a choice between winning the point and losing the point, then you should choose winning.

What about throwing away some points to make the other person underestimate you, so that you can win some easy points later? The only way it can pay off is if you win more than you throw away. But if you're so much better than the other player that you can win a whole bunch of points when you need to, then there's no need to be playing mind games. Just go out there and play your best game from the start.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

(speaking here from past experience)
    IMO the best way to win against an opponent that you have played before and has comfortably outplayed you would be this
    (this is based on a 2/3 to 21 points system)
    If you start playing winning shots straight away your opponent has time to adjust and eventually will relise that you are a good player. Something I would do in the warm up is move them about the court, to see what there movement Is like. If they struggle, then employ a tactic which is This:
    Tire them out, get them all over the court and keep them working NEVER smash straight away as this uses more energy instead try and play clears to the middle and backhand side of your opponent, make your clears a good lenght and drop shots not too tight almost like a half smash as the rally progresses he/she will get tired and therefore is likely to make an error which you can counter. Always be positive there is no point in stepping out on court if you are already thinking of losing
    Try to find there weakness. Everyone has it but once it is found use it to get an advantage playing to your opponents weakness can usually mean that they are put in a defensive position and therefore you have the attack
    Take all the opportunities you get. Never (especially if they are better than you) let them back in the rally. If you think the opponent is better than you the likely hood is that he will make less errors so when he does make an error take advantage of it
    I think that's it if there is more I will update it

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    no offense but this is a little bit stupid.
    If a person is SAME CURRENT skill level as you, then how would you be in CONTROL of the game?
    you only be in CONTROL if you are higher level as ur opponent by ALOT. at least one level away, A vs B, B vs C or C vs D

The only reason that whoever started this thread seem to have improved his or her own skills alot from the previous match with his opponent.
    That's the only reason I can find why would a person start this thread, or maybe this person have great imagination. =)

12. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    What i was think was this: You do have control of the game if you are the same skill level of your opponent but he is playing the game as if he was a lot better than you - because he will be hitting easy shot that you have the CAPABILITY of hitting winner from - since an increase in skill level means you have a greater range of setup from which you can still hit very high quality shots. Yes, if he played more seriously then he would pull you out of position in a way that you would not be able to hit high quality shots but he isn't yet. So you have to make the decision of whether to hit those high quality winner right away from his weak shots or not. In that sense, you DO have control of the game.

13. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    Let's agree on what tetsubo theory is correct.
    However, like everybody said if you're a decent player you will able to tell if the other person is same level as you are or not just by couple rally point.
    Example: just a clear, A beginner will take quite a bit of effort looking way to hit a clear; however, a player who's been play awhile will just make the shot seem like effortless "make it looks so easy"
    So pretty much there's no way you can hide ur actual potential. Plus the worst thing that goes against you is natural reaction, or habit watever you like to call it. with your habit you will never able to hide it.
    Give it a test, usually a normal clear you would do so easy, and try to disguise yourself as a beginner do the beginner stroke i'm pretty sure it will take alot out of ur energy, and eventually ur Habit will kicks in and give up.

14. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    I agree, but it isnt that simple when you get to a higher level. The "effortless clear" is a weak example since a lot of people can pull it off, even if you have perfect technique for a clear doesnt mean you are any good at all. A better example would be anticipating a drive clear and being able to cut it off with a smash. The question I'm asking is whether or not showing a "skill" like that early and often would be better or would it be better to save such a skill until later - and being content to merely react to the drive clear and punch a defensive high clear right back.
    The difference level between someone who cant even hit a clear with correct technique and a better player is not the skill level which i was thinking about.

It would be rather stupid if all players were separated in skill simply by "those who do beginner strokes" and "those who have solid technique for all their strokes".

15. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    i guess u're right, there are many different ways to be categorized for different skill level players.
    one can be strong smash but weak defense can be consider equally with weak smash but strong defense.
    Pretty much we can't tell until both player played at their best performance and see who's better.
    which imo i would think you might able to pull it off that letting ur opponent see that's u're a lower level of his. However, that would be sacrafice couple points between the gap, because that's how it is, if you able to return every shots from him then why wouldn't he increase the attack mode or be more aggressive on you.
    There's only one reason to explain that. He doesn't even want to play with you or win you.
    So here the question what is the purpose of playing agaisnt him if YOU don't use all the effort since you know he's same level as you are. And where is the fun in of MAKING him playing easy on you so you can have a relax game? Of course if you think that's fun to play like that then i wouldn't think you are suit to play any sport. That's just plainly no sportmanship.

16. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    thats wrong. Even in international level tournaments, you can see how close the scores can get between a lower class player and say, Lin Dan. i remember a game where bobby milroy of canada got lost to him 17-21 and 18-21, or a score similar to that. If you watch the game, Lin Dan hardly look like he is trying until the very end, when it is tied 16-16 or something - then he proceeds to go max power and win the game easily even though the score seems to indicate that the game was close throughout. Is lindan showing no sportsmanship? Maybe, but that doesnt matter.
    The question i was asking in my opening post was whether or not having this "extra gear" that you can kick it up to against another opponent who is unaware that you have it should be used right form the beginning or saved until the end, like lindan would do (or any top ranked player) against first rounders that they know they outclass.

And on the contrary, making my opponent play less than their best against me so i have a relaxed game, but still winning the game is a skill is a perfectly legitimate skill called GAMESMANSHIP.

17. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say but its okay. I agree that we should have the potential to hit the shuttle exactly the same whether we are training, warming up and playing a game. However, once a game starts, other factors also come into play. Its pretty hard to hit the shuttle exactly how you would during training while you're scrambling around the court no?

18. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    let me ask you a question tetsubo,
    why are you comparing lin dan and and some canadian player?
    You gotta understand from what you said is Lin dan was going easy on his opponent and then kick in the end of the set, which made the score very close. SOOOO
    are you going against your ORIGINAL statement?
    you gotta remember that you said 2 SAME CURRENT LEVEL PLAYERS
    And I even SAID "only 2 differences in the levels that the game can be in CONTROL"

Honestly, I have no idea what are you trying to argue right now.

From what you actually QUOTED from my line was because I said 2 SAME current level. If there is happen to have a game that is 2 players at the same level, and one side doesn't respect the other and go easy on his opponent and the same thing his opponent take the game as a relaxed game. Which make that situation really stupid and very unprofessional or in my way, I called it "no sportmanship"

19. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    the lin dan example was to counter your arguement that someone who is not going 100% against you doesnt mean he does not want to play with you or that he does not want to win, which was why i quoted that line. the example i think fits perfectly - lind dan is the player who is "better", and bobby milroy/you are the player who is "weaker".
    You, as the weaker player, knows that you have actually improved to the same level as the better player while the better player is oblivious to this fact. Lin dan is going into the game with you thinking that he will go easy until the end, and then "show his skill level difference" in the last few points to finish off each game without making much effort - thinking you/bobby milroy is a pushover.
    In this situation, do you immediately show how much you have improved - making the other player adjust his game plan to actually trying hard the entire game, or do you take the free ride until the last few points, and THEN show how much you improved. That is what I am asking. Plus this IS a hypothetical situation, and I just wanted people's opinion on what they would do in this situation.

20. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    man do you actually fully understand what u're talking about?
    First again and again, you must stay with the main idea that you said, you can't just skipping all over the places and argue little here and there.
    First idea was 2 same equal players are going to play a game: One stupid enough to think oh he's weak so let's go easy, and the other take it for granted and just go with the flow. First of all, doesn't matter where the game gonna start to crank up the knot, 2 same players just going to be all out and the result gonna be close to the very end because simply enough that 2 same levels.
    And now let's talk about if is that kind of a game going to be fun? NOooooo.
    and Is that kind of a game can ACTUALLY consider as in "CONTROL"? Noooo
    And now come to you're OFF TOPIC example: 1 really good player and 1 shietty player. Is this game going to be in control? Yessss, by the good player of course.
    And is you're example is fit for you're first argument point? No, of course not.