Let's discuss on social groups!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by smashfun, Dec 8, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Men to stand in front and cover the net with the ladies at the back

Talking about this subject I would like to add - Too often in Social Games, the men are observed to be playing their 'Game of Singles' at the back. The ladies can only manage to get into 'active play', like 10% of the time. :(:(:(

My suggestion is - Let's have some games with the men to stand in front to cover the net, while the ladies play their 'Game of Singles' at the back. :p:p:p

2. keenweisam

keenweisam Regular Member

I think I would only be willing to do this style of play with a lady who is a strong player. Too often if playing mixed, and the woman is not strong, it is pure suicide to stand at the front. I can already see how it will pan out...
    opposition hits to woman at back, half court lift return, shuttle in my face.
    which is why when i play mixed, i dont half court lift!

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Often have seen female players at the front suffered and got hit no thanks to weaker male players who insists that the lady cover the net. These male players should get a taste of their own medicine. :)

Unfortunately this also happens in mens doubles when you have a stronger player in front and a weaker partner at the back during rotation.

If its a given point, is there a need for the opponents to aim at the front player's face? Its just a social game. There is absolutely no need to hurt your opponent. Personally I have seen accidents happen before eg players' eyes hit by the shuttle. :(

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

As soon as I see my partner does a half-court lift...

Often you see me at the front playing in the Mixed Doubles front-and-back formation. It allows my partner (at the back) to be more active. And allows me (positioned at the front) to practise control shots like the spin-and-tumble netplay, quick reflex shots like the blocks/interceptions, etc...

As soon as I see my partner does a half-court lift, I would do one of these 3 things;
    1. Still stay at the front but hiding behind the net (if having very little time). :eek::eek::eek:
    2. Still stay at the front holding my racket-face up to protect face (if having more time).
    3. Move back to a side-by-side defensive formation (if finding plenty of time to do so).

Yes, once a half-court lift is played (due to an error), the rally will be finished off by the next stroke with a 'KILL'. But as Sealman said, just kill/finish off the rally. There is no need to kill a face and/or an eye; not even at competitive tournament play.

#24 chris-ccc, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    I( our club) are having entirely different problem, since we don't supply birdies,everyone bring bring their own birdies( shuttlecocks) to the club/gym.

Since I have always bring the tournament grade birdies, I felt that those guys have taken advantages of me, the arguement is always, their birdies are as good, i found that their claim is outrageous ( there are $(US)7 cheaper, the feather break easily).

the sad part of the problem is that most of players are professional ( in their work), how do you handle members who has a tendency to bring cheap birdies or not even to bring out the birdies when they are playing?.

I hope some of them read this posting.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Your shuttlecocks are not as good as mine

Yes, noticed that in the USA, many clubs do not provide shuttlecocks.

In Australia, our social clubs provide them. The reasons;
    * It saves members' time needing to shop/buy shuttlecocks
    * The quality and speed of shuttlecocks used remain consistent
    * It prevents complains like;
    "Your shuttlecocks are not as good as mine",
    "I cannot play with shuttlecocks of such slow/fast speed",
    etc ......

However, clubs need to charge higher playing fees to cover the cost of the shuttlecocks. Costs of playing at clubs using feather shuttlecocks are twice more than at clubs using synthetic.

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Social badminton at my apartment

I just moved into my new apartment middle of this year. There is a badminton court and nowadays I joined my fellow tenants on Monday and Thurs (depending on my mood) for some badminton.

Usually, there is about plus minus 8-10 of us, and after playing for a couple of months, I noticed a selfish attitude amongst a couple of players. I mean in the group there are some average beginners and a couple of advanced intermediate players. The thing is some of these advanced players tend to play only amongst themselves. I noticed this a few occassions. And it is not only selfish but ugly. And when they do play or are partnered with a weaker player, they tend to get annoyed when the weaker player make some mistakes here and there. Sometimes, I feel like giving these people a clip round the head and tell them it is no life and death but a game of social badminton.

As for myself, I consider myself decent. I can be good if I am serious enough. Most of the time, I am easy going as my aim is to exercise not break my neck. But once in a while, when I find some of them annoying, I will try to aim my smashes at their body when I am playing against them ;)

8. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    sigh it happened to me today... i tried to duck... but my forehead was hit... thank goodness my eyes are still intact

9. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

think this way....the killer might not be doing it on purpose... or maybe if u didn't duck.. the shot could hit to different part of body... or maybe a slip shot ... :eek: ;) :p

Body smashing always from a not so skillful player.. i believe lah.. :D

from my experience, i felt so guilty if i did that smashing .. :(

10. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

what about standardize the shuttles or a range of shuttles to be acceptable :D

11. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    the person who hit me was a young uni player and one of the 'better' players in the group. intentional or not, i have no comments. if i hadnt ducked, it would have been worse :crying:

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Talking about players in a group social of Badminton players

:D:D:D Glad that the outcome causes no injury.

Talking about players in a group social of Badminton players, most players are there to enjoy their games, regardless of winning or losing.

However quite often, we do find players in social groups wanting to win all the time. Perhaps we can advise them to leave our social sessions, and advise them to enter in competition tournaments, where the winning or losing is more important. :p:p:p

13. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    hi Sealman,
    glad you manage to dodge. i do agree it is hard to tell whether that shot is intentional or not. but for the social games, as much as it is social, most would like to improve their skills as well. Especially if they are beginner like myself, i would take the opportunity to smash if i could to practise my smash coz such opportunity doesnt really come often in the game of play.

like you said, beginner cant really aim well on the smash. I got smashed by someone in the body but i manage to dodge and deflect with my racket in that instant. Close shave. that guy din say sorry. to me it is just a more aggressive play. i can take that in my stride. After that I also wanted to practise my smash, just happen tat guy who previously gave the smash is in front of the net( due to doubles play), when i smash, tat guy proclaimed that i purposely want to smash him. I was rather annoyed with that proclaimation, if you can smash, so i cant? what kinda of logic is this? though i kept quiet, din want to protest about tat. what is the point when others think that way? only they can practise their skillfully placed smash? i do hope i can reach tat in my level if i can.

I am just a beginner after all. sorry for the rant. what is the definition of sportsmanship?

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Let's hope we can bring sportsmanship back for our Badminton players

You are correct vcrpex.

In Badminton, and in many other sports, we often find that sportsmanship has gone missing.

Let's hope we can bring sportsmanship back for our Badminton players.

15. smashfun

smashfun Regular Member

Things like this happens all the time in social group. I used to lose to people because of their weird, wrong serves. However, i didnt go up to them and tell they are wrong. Well in social groups, personally i think its best not to offend anyone. Everything goes down to the character of the person, be it in badminton or anything else.

16. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    I agree. Thus i kept quiet about it, as the guy is a regular in the group. simple things like this show the character of the person easily. Especially when this is just a social game. Even if it is really a tournament, I will still keep quiet if i m hit. That means my reflex are not fast enough to dodge or receive the shuttle. Not blamed others for their own incompetency. According to those training videos, hitting at the body is kinda of harder for people to react, isnt it? Anyway there is always other groups around. it is just social to me and having a good time playing the game. can always have a friendly game with you some day if you do not mind. :)