stamina/endurance training(please help!!)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alwayslolzzz, Dec 17, 2009.

1. alwayslolzzz

alwayslolzzz Regular Member

student
    hi guys. i am currently preparing for a very important tournament and i am working really hard now. my one major weakness is that i get tired(as in no more energy to move around the court and to a lesser extent no energy to execute shots BUT NOT OUT OF BREATH) cozzzz my movements are stiff therefore requiring much more energy. i am very VERY stiff!!!! stretching more would be an option but i don't have time cozzzz the tournament is 2 months away so i cant. that leaves only the option of training myself to be fitter and have more endurance/stamina. can some1 help make a programe for me? i usually train during the afternoon so i will do this in the morning or late evening. i am also doing resistence training for my legs. can some1 help????? :crying:

can i have a pro like some1 who studies sport science help to make this program?? though any1 can help:)

this is because i heard that jogging wont really help cozzzz it only helps when one easily gets out of breath and that i shuold run at a fast pace for 1 minute and at a slower pace for 30 seconds for 30 minutes

this was a big oh slap in the face cozzzzzz i always thought jogging would help solve this problem of mine but i was told it only helps me not to get out of breath and that it does nothing to solve my problem of getting tired fast forcing me to slow down my game cozzzz i have no more energy to move around the court and to a lesser extent execute shots.

i am now very confused as to what to do to overcome my BIG weakness. i don't want to waste time trying out different thing to find out what works cozzzz i do not much time left. that is why i hope some1 that is studying sport science can help.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Wot you should do which is wot i did is running hills (jogging slow, jogging fast, sprint/jog) Find a big hill, like 2 miles of a road going steadily up, lucky for me there is a road half mile from my house which is jus a steep climb!! I had 2 months where i ran this hill every day eventually doin it twice a day and my fitness increased a lot and strength in my legs did to.

Also ave you thought about doing shadow badminton in your back yard. Its good for fitness. Do al the corners of the court like in badminton wit al the movements and do it for a min solid, take 30 secs break, for 3 times! As time goes on, do it longer with shorter breaks. I got to stage I could do it for 3 mins, 30 sec break, 3 mins, 30 sec break and 3 mins. I was wrecked after that!!

Its al about mixing it up. Do once a week a longish slow jog to help build endurance but most of time you want any exercise you do to be harder and faster in short bursts, small rest, short burst etc etc.

2 months will def inprove ur fitness but u wont be where u might want to be but you will definately see big improvement, al depends how hard to work at it. Put in the effort, the fitness will come.

I jus bought a rowing machine so that over xmas period il be training away so that my fitness stays up and doesnt get too bad with the break over xmas

Good luck and hope this advice helps

3. alwayslolzzz

student
    thanks alot. i think i have grasped the concept. would doing double skips for like 1 minute then single skips for 30 seconds work???i thought of this because i will feel the same after doing double skips as i do after a long hard match. how long do i have to do it????30 minutes or just a few minutes????

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Yours is a great question and needs a lot more detailed answer.

First of all we need to understand why you have no energy when you're not out of breath? This suggests to me that your diet is way off prior to a tournament and I also need to question what you're eating during the day? Either let me know in this thread or PM me.

OK, let's get on to the nitty gritty bit of training...

First of all, you need basic endurance. Running 2 miles in my opinion is insufficient for basic endurance - I would suggest 5 miles would be better. Mix with sprints and vary the pace too because you never play a constant pace in a game.

Skipping is a very good exercise for developing endurance and fast feet. Begin with 10 minutes and raise it to 25 minutes. Again, change the pace and include double jumps too.

Squat thrusts are excellent for developing leg endurance. Do 1 sets of 1 minute with a minute interval. Gradually build to 5 sets. When you can do these really well, add them onto the end of another leg workout session for overload.

One of the key areas that does not get attention is your core. Correct sit ups, leg raises, crunches are your staple exercises here. Add to these, specific breathing exercises which really work your core (basically you need to breathe in and suck in your testicles upwards and hold.) Repeat until you can do 5 sets holding for minimum 20 seconds. These are incredibly good and will tighten your lower abs. Finally, add the plank/bridge for 1 minute at the end. As you get better see if you can do the plank for 2 minutes or one handed.

Next, work your arms. Press-ups done slowly and correctly. One set of 20 and build to 5 sets. This will strengthen arms, chest, shoulders. The reason for doing them slowly to begin with is simple. This ensures you are not using momentum to generate a press up, and therefore you are using strength. When you can do these really well, try press up and clap. 1 set of 10 and build to 5 sets (these are done fast).

If you can get to a gym and do a weights program then fine, there are lots of exercises to do. What I've given you here are good to do from home.

Lastly, do the armchair exercises I set on my blog. The more you do, the stronger your forearms and wrists will become. www.badminton-coach.co.uk

On top of this, any court work where you are really pushing the pace and hitting to targets will help with your development.

Hope this helps. Time does not allow me to go into infinite detail, but you now have the basis of an all-round fitness prgram that you can expand to suit.

To your success.

Paul

5. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    so if you are not out of breath it sounds like your cv fitness is fine,,,a lack of energy is probably because of a lack of food...try this technique, it is used by professional athletes particular long distance running,,,its called carbohydrate loading,,,before the event say 1-2 weeks eat the least amount of carbohydrates as posible so keep of the pasta and the bread etc,,,obviously you will have some carbs in your means just try keep it to a min...so basically you will be wrecked and find training really hard, then before the event say a day or two pile on as many carbs as possible like alot more than usual,,so eat foods which are high in carbs!! this should make you feel alot more energetic and up for it..also during the event have bananas to give you energy and other foods which are fairly high in sugars to give you a short but imediate boost in energy....if you do give the carbohydrate loading a try tell us how you found it as i have never tried it my self (it may not work for you but it was just one of the things i learnt in my GCSE PE and are still looking at it in A level PE and BTEC sport science)
    best of luck for your tournaments

6. alwayslolzzz

student
    thanks alot for all the advise. no, the lack of energy is definitely not because of the food i eat. it is because i am very stiff so all my movements require much more energy. like i said i have about 2 months so i don't think stretching would give me results in such a short time though i am tretching alot now. so i just have to boost my endurance/stamina. could you guys also advise me on what exercises i can do to improve my agility?

7. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

There are very good points shared by fellow BC members here. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I strongly believe that doing shadowplay or footwork practice on top of all that jogging, skipping etc. might solve your problem. Jogging and skipping does improve your overall endurance, but nothing beats shadow play because you are working the exact same set of muscles as when you play in a game. This smoothens your game and i believe that it can solve your stiffness issue. It's not really your flexibility/stretchiness that is the problem. I'm not sure if you've heard of this theory before but a fit football player might be totally exhausted playing badminton and vice versa because we train different sets of muscles. Make sure though that you are practicing the proper footwork or you'd be wasting more energy and becoming tired faster. Proper footwork conserves a lot of energy and it ensures that your shots are executed more effectively because:

1) You reach the shuttle earlier and thus have more options
    2) You're always steady and in control and less likely to be caught off balance while hitting a shot

Well, that's my humble opinion. hope it helps.

P/S: skipping really improves your agility on court, the explosiveness is evident with skipping exercises. I can tell because it worked for me = )

8. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

Hi pro1992,

I have been trying to lose weight for awhile and have been losing it quite steadily. Salads, fresh fruit etc.. but not too much carbs. Any how I normally play baminton Friday evenings. Last thursday I made tuna+sweetcorn+pasta for dinner (not had pasta in ages!). There was enough for next day lunch as well. Went to play badminton Friday night and virtually smashed my way through one and half hour. Usually quite tired after, but had enough energy to go for a long walk after. My smashes felt more powerful than usual despite using my mid-stiff racket instead of my usual YY AT-700.

Just wondering whether, carb loading on the same day, i.e eating lots of carbs at lunch then playing badminton at night has any benefits or does it need to be the day before??

Alternately could be my arm healed from previous soreness, so able to better unleash the smash.:D

Regards
    pyshuttler