Which Yonex racquet for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Jimbo10, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

This is quite long so please bear with me :) I'm looking to buy a new Yonex racquet as the exchange rates look very attractive at the moment. My last racquet was an AT-800 off so I've been out of the racquet game for a while.

To describe my gamestyle, I'm an intermediate player who has played for about 5 years. I can clear, drive, drop very well for my level. However my smash is lacking. I think this is a technique problem, because once in a while, I'll get the smash working. My first instinct though is to smash, and if it's not working, I play other shots. Hence I've been using the AT-800 off strung with BG 65 with 23 pounds tension to assist with the smashing.

I mainly play men's doubles. I hardly consciously use my wrist at all except when smashing flick serves. I am forced to use my wrist as I can't get a full swing at those serves. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong as I believe most of the power comes from the arm, hence me being an 'arm' player. I'm also only 5 feet 5 so I'm not the biggest of guys around.

Now to the racquets. I like the AT 800 off - it gives me the power I need. Defence is a compromise because I'm using a head heavy racquet. Defence isn't usually a problem unless I play with people much better than I am. Then it becomes noticeably bad... The only racquet I've tried is a NS 9900. While I loved how it improved my defence to levels I could not reach with the AT 800 off, I didn't like how I couldn't generate any power with the smash. Thus it isn't a compromise I would make. Again, it may be a technique thing, but head-light racquets with extra stiff shafts perhaps isn't for me.

So the racquet I'm looking for is one that gives me power but with better defence than the AT 800 off. Whether one exists is another story...

Unfortunately, NS 9900 was the only racquet I could try. I wish I could try other racquets but I don't have the money to buy them all! I've read reviews for Arc 10 and Arc-Z and it seems like the Z may be too hard to adjust to, plus with the smaller sweetspot perhaps my current technique would not cope. As for the Arc 10, it seems to be for 'arm' players like me, so perhaps it is a better fit for me? Also, the racquet I am about to buy is one I'm looking to use for as long as possible, and so selling it isn't an option.

Other racquets that I think might be suitable is the AT 900 power, which seems to be a better version of AT 800 off. Also, would any Nanospeed racquets be suitable for me? I would say not at this point if they are similar to the NS 9900. Any help on my next racquet would be appreciated :)

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    the AT900T would be a good racket for you. power is just a tad less than the 900P but its much faster on defence. also, you can switch to a thinner string to help with power as well since you are at 23lbs. but i would suggest you try the BG80 at the same tension before you try a new racket.

3. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    How did you like the NS9900? If you can produce power with it, it's a great racquet! I believe the NS9900 is thought to be a "wristy" racquet though.

4. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

Thanks, I'll look into the AT900 T. Is the power really just a bit less than the 900P? I would say using an AT800 off, the weakest part of my game is smash/backhand, then probably defence/net shots and my strongest are clears/drops/drives. Thus, at this point in time, I would emphasise power over defence.

With stringing it with BG80, coincentally, this was my initial string @ 23 pounds on AT 800 off. Unfortunately it broke after 3 weeks. Conversely, I haven't had the need to restring my AT 800 off for about a year! I guess they say once bitten twice shy!

5. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

I thought it was the best racquet for defence I've ever used (though this isn't saying much as the AT 800 off is the only 'real' racquet I've ever used!) I was returning shots which I couldn't previously. Unforunately in one of those games, my opposition was vastly superior to me so it was just delaying the inevitable!

As for power generation, I remember my smash was shocking. Pretty much every time I smashed from the back I would lose the point as the opposition just drove the shuttle back into the opposite corner without too much trouble. As I mentioned, I'm more of an arm player. The only time I consciously use my wrist is for half smashes and returns of flick serves. As for clears and drops and drives, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary to what I could normally do with my AT 800 off.

6. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

u can try cab 30 muscle. it cost half as much as the lastest toys but provide very good power for smashing, light and easy to use. A very good racket choice for intermediate lvl.

7. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    It took a while for me to get used to the NS9900, because it's so stiff and headlight at the same time. After playing with the NS9900 for a bit, I found it quite easy to go smash after smash. I guess the NS9900 is loved by so many because of its hidden power and obvious control. If you're using your arm more than your wrist.. as ryim said, AT900T would be a very good choice. Also, maybe you should try some other brands, I see there is a lot of positive feedback from many other brands such as SOTX, RSL, PP, etc etc.

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    the only problem is that you can't have best of both worlds, you're going to have to sacrifice a bit or defence for offence or vice versa. the 900T I would say is definitely a good compromise. right now, i'm using the ti-10 (3rd gen) and I find that its really good in terms of offence and defence, given the lower price tag.

9. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

I've read all the replies here and I thank you for your help. I think I should add that I'm looking to purchase a racket from Hong Kong and I was wondering if there are any places where I can try the rackets. Also, because of the exchange rates, I have no problem in buying the most expensive Yonex racket if I find that racket will suit me best.

At this stage, the Arc 10 is at the top of my list as it seems a good all round racket. I've also seen players weaker than I am who seem to be able to generate pace with it. For similar reasons, I am considering the AT 900P.

As for the other rackets I'm considering, they I have question marks over all of them.
    Z-Slash - whether I can adjust to it
    Nanospeed 9900 - ditto, and the fact that in an hour of testing it I couldn't generate any pace with it.
    AT 900T - I'm not sure of the power differential between this and say an AT 900P. I still think my smash is the weakest part of my game and any lack of speed in moving a head-heavy racket (like my AT 800 off) is only exposed by players vastly superior to me.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

The ARC 10 and AT900T would seem to fit you the best but in reality the best racket in the world won't help you smash harder if you don't break your wrist.

I'm not sure where you'd get the idea that the arm produces more power? We're not talking about tennis here, the shuttle weights very little so you don't need strength, what you need is head speed. The faster the racket head is traveling at impact the harder you will hit the shuttle. In order to achieve this you need to really use your entire body including the core muscles, arm and wrist.

As a test, lock your wrist and just use your arm to swing the racket in front of you from side to side without twisting your waist or breaking your wrist. You'll notice you get very little speed. Now do the same motion (side to side) holding your arm still and with just the wrist. You'll see the racket travels much faster. Now use arm, wrist and twist your body at the same time. The combination of all three produce the racket head speed you need for truly powerful smashes.

11. andersen

andersen Regular Member

Jimbo10,

Your case is quite similar to mine and that's why I would suggest you to go for either AT900T or Ti10. On the way to get that conclusion other than AT900T and 1st gen Ti10 I already tried Arc Z-Slash, old color NS8000, NS9000S, NS9900, AT900P amongst which only Arc Z-Slash, AT900T and Ti10 impressed me. IMHO Arc Z is great but requires a lot of accuracy, if you hit it right you will get a very powerful smash, while AT900T and Ti10 is easier to get used to. Ti10 is excellent at both offence and defense. I haven't tried 2nd or 3rd gen Ti10s, so cannot say much abt the differences b/w 1st gen Ti10s and 2nd/3rd gen Ti10s. I hope that you're lucky enough to acquire a 1st gen Ti10 like I've just done :D. Currently, I keep 3UG5 JP Arc Z-Slash (going to have a 2U one), 3UG5 JP AT900T, 2UG4 SP 1st gen Ti10 in my bag. Having said that, continuously improve your techniques is the most important thing to do to improve your games.

Cheers
    Andersen

12. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

I guess I should make it clearer in what I meant. I do agree in any overhead shot the power comes from the arm, wrist and body turning. I'm sure I use all three if I want to hit a powerful shot. I came from a tennis background, which is why I still describe myself as an arm person, but in reality I probably use the arm, the wrist and body turning.

When I say the power comes from the arm, I meant to say pronation of the arm (or supination for backhands) and body turning produces the majority of the power. While I do use the wrist, if I am warming up I make a mental note to myself to pronate and body turn. I'm sure if you do those two things in tennis at least, you'll get the power.

Now I know it's different in badminton. The wrist plays a part. I know I use the wrist, but it's not something at the forefront of my mind when producing power shots. Whether this is right or wrong, I'm happy to hear other opinions :)

13. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

Wow... you've tried quite a few rackets! In the ideal world of course I'd try them all before buying a new racket but unfortunately I could only get my hands on two.

With the Z-Slash, what initial problems did you have at first? Difficulty in hitting sweet spot? Swinging it too fast for the shuttle?

I think initially when I first played with an AT 800 off I had some trouble with defence and hitting the sweet spot but it wasn't long before I coped with it. How long does it take to adjust to the Z-Slash?

Since so many ppl recommend the AT 900T, I think I shall add this to my 'consider list'!

14. andersen

andersen Regular Member

You're right at the Z-Slash but the more importance is the difficulty to hit the sweet spot esp. for smashes. However, when I tried my friend's 2U Z-Slash, I got more feeling of the racket and then could produce more accurate and powerful smashes, that's why I'm getting the 2U. I had played with Z-Slash for about 2 weeks (5 days a week, 1.5 hrs a day) and stoped about 2 weeks ago. Then I moved to AT900T and Ti10 but I've been playing with Ti10 more.