Sport Psychology in Badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macazteeg, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just wonder whether you experienced such pressure on yourself when you play socially? If not, just imagine you are enjoying just another social game with your next partner.

Talk to your partner in between rallies, don't look at your opponents when you serve, look at the shuttle and imagine it crossing the net at exactly where you whated it to be, laugh a bit, smile and yes, Relax Man! :D

2. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    I'd advice a soprt psychology relaxation technique combined with mental imagery and visualization, this is what I need you to do:

1. Get to a place where you could be alone, maybe inside your room but it will be much better inside an empty badminton court
    2. Sit, try to relax, focus on your breathing, take long deep breaths, relax at least for 2 minutes, when you feel your body getting heavy close your eyes, block all thought from coming in, just think nothing and focus on your breathing
    3. Think of an empty court, one by one filling up with people, imagine you with your partner playing against an imaginary opponent
    4. Block all negative thoughts, think if a positive winning environment with all your shots getting in and making the right placement of shots at all times,
    5 try to visualize the exact details, the smell, the feel of the racket, the crowd, the breathing, every little detail there is
    6. Never give in to thoughts of negativity especially losing or getting the match out of your control.
    7. Shut out all thoughts, think about nothing, and focus again on your breathing for about a minute
    8. Slowly open youre eyes

Repeat this process before the match starts, this will make you associate the pressure and nervousness with relaxation and positive thinking once the match starts. When the match is on, focus on your breathing every after a rally and take long deep breaths before you serve

3. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

Hey bro, i've posted a step by step guide to relaxation, visualization and positive thinking on this thread, this will be one of the solutions to your problem, kindly follow the step by step guide, do this before and after training and before a match starts, im sure this will help you

4. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    By the way, here are a few journals that were written to consider the effectiveness of visualization, relaxation and positive imagery on pro athletes:

A number of journals were written on the book of Stephen Bull Ph.D. (Sport Psychology; a Self-help Guide) on the use of imagery and other coping strategies in sport psychology:
    Khristo Markov, the 1988 Olympic triple jump champion from Bulgaria, was at pains to stress that much of his victory in Seoul was due to his additional commitment to his mental program from 1987. Speaking at his victory press conference in Korea, he said that he had worked hard at increasing the number of jumping repetitions per week by using my thought. ‘My challenge in Seoul was mental rather than physical, but I was well prepared. I had seen myself jumping in that stadium many times before’.

Brazilian middle-distance star Joaquin Cruz, commented after his victory in the Los Angeles 800m final, ‘a day before the race I picture myself winning 100 times. I never give myself the chance to picture myself losing’. While he may not call this strategy visualization, mental rehearsal or imagery, he was using it. He was building confidence and rehearsing a number of tactical ideas without suffering from fatigue.

5. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Hello!!, i am just reminding everyone if you have questions to ask regarding sport psychology or how to improve your mental game in badminton, please feel free to ask in this thread, i'll gladly help you

6. donvito

donvito Regular Member

lawyer
    Thanks for your advice! I just read this thread now, very helpful!

7. kimmeng

kimmeng New Member

technician
    I'm taking part in a tournament this week, during round robin, i keep telling myself i can do, i can win it, i gave 110% during the game, the next day i realised that i had injured myself both my knee. My body took a beating.
    i feel like my mental strenth has overpower my body strenght which caused my injury...

8. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

dear macazteeg,

as a sportsman in any sport; particularly badminton, in order to excel, i personally think there are 3 major components that makes a great competitor, namely: innate talent (a), dedication/practice (b) and mental/psychological makeup (c).

my query is with regards to (c) mental/psychological/positive thinking/visualisation. how helpful is it when everyone nowadays thinks positive? boils down to the strongest and toughest mindsets (survival of the fittest?)? but i suppose mindsets and physical dedication can be attuned but the innateness of ones capability can't (can't be tweaked that much more, i guess...)...thus, the chance of winning against an innately talented is a futile exercise given the same amount of physical dedication and mental isometrics applied?

Many thanks,
    MetalOrange

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Mental isometrics? Hold that thought. :D

You've rather argued yourself into a corner with this "innately talented" stuff. The reality is that no one really knows how "talented" he is. There are so many variables, and "talent" doesn't manifest itself at the same age in everyone.

It's true that some players are fundamentally more talented than others. At the very least, some players have a slight genetic edge for badminton.

However, almost all of the difference between amateurs and professionals is hard work. Unless you put in all those years of training, it's hard to know whether you are exceptionally talented -- because you will never reach your potential.

Even among professionals, there are plenty of other differences. Some professionals do train harder, or differently, than others; some of them are more intelligent than others; some are more mentally resilient than others; and their physical builds differ too.

So yes, if you're playing against "the perfect player", who has 100% talent, 100% dedication, 100% psychological strength, 100% physical condition, 100% intelligence and tactical awareness -- if you're playing against this guy, then obviously you can't possibly win.

But this player does not exist. All players have some areas where they are not the best in the world. Just like any other quality, your psychology can be a strength or a weakness.

10. MetalOrange

11. MetalOrange

you have to listen to your body. unless it's the finals wherein you will your way, then after conquering it you can tend to your ails and aches.

12. ChaChaTea

ChaChaTea New Member

Student
    Hi,
    My coach has told me that I how my opponents play. If we are in an intense game, then I will push myself very hard; however when I play against someone who is playing shabby, then I will just automatically play like them. I need help analyzing what is causing this and how I can fix this bad habit. ~ Thank Youu =)

13. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    hey bro!!

so are you still injured up to now? in sport psychology this is what we called choking, or under performance. Somehow i can tell that you got pressured and underperformed during the tournament day. The nervousness/ pressure you felt made you move very stiff, thus your body is not relaxed and you failed to perform at you 100%. One reason why you choked is maybe the mental attitude that you had prior to the game

To avoid choking it is very important that you have both good physical and mental readiness prior to competition. There is nothing wrong with the thinking that your up to perform at your very best, that is actually the goal every athletes has in their minds before competing. But to be able to be at your best you have to:

1. Train physically, at your best prior to the competition, the goal of it is being able to perform what you've done in training in the actual tournament games.

2. (maybe this is what you've missed) to relax, prior or before playing, to get over your nerves, relax, loosen your muscles up and think of what you have to do when playing

You see, it is a very good mentality to think that you are going to perform at your very best. But your mind and your body must of course know how to do it, how to perform at your best. And to be able to do that you must relax instead of getting all hot and hyped up, relax, think happy and positive thoughts and everything you have to do during the game itself.

Remember bro, this is just a learning experience in your playing career, use it as a motivation for your next competitions.. Good Luck bro and God Bless!

14. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    hi!

This is a very good question! Most of us feel tired or sluggish while playing with not so good players, unlike times when we play opponents our level or better than us. And once again it has a lot of things to do with our mentality.

Of course, when we know that we can defeat our opponent easily we tend to relax and be overconfident. And most of the time that is why we lose to players lesser than us. We get tired of playing players who are not so good. This is also one of the problems encountered by god, pro players, Like Taufik Hidayat. When he plays greater opponents, he rises to the occasion and plays good, but when playing with lesser opponents, he does unforced errors which are not so normal of him.

You see this has a lot to do with the mental aspect of the game. In an interview Lee Chong Wei once said, "I do my best who ever I'm playing with" that is why he is world no.1 at the moment. It is this attitude which makes him the best at what he does. Always remember bro, when you think that you are the best, when you think that you are already good, that is the time in which you stop learning, the time when you stop improving. Please apply the same mentality as the world no. 1.. Always remember to
    "Do my best whoever I'm playing with" and to always think that " I am not good, I am not the best, but I'm willing to fight the best and always give it all I've got even if the odds are against me." Remember dude, to be the greatest, you have to get a hold of yourself, you have to be mature enough to know and control yourself. Lastly, remember these quotes fromThe book Art of War by Sun Tzu:

" If you know yourself and the enemy, you need not fear the result of a thousand battles, if you know yourself but not the enemy, you will win battles but will incur damage, if you don't know know the enemy nor yourself, prepare to suffer defeat."

15. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

16. MetalOrange

17. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Whenever I get into a tie situation with an opponent (20-20, 21-21, etc) I find that I lose more matches than I win. What are some of the causes of this, and how should I overcome them?

18. MetalOrange

Gollum,

i wasn't really arguing innate talent into the equation nor was preparing to. it was honestly, a hypothetical query, reason being: i just thought it's an endless loop if we just focus on who's got the better mental makeup. ...and in order to cut the endless loop by way of deductive reasoning (my flawed reasoning i must admit), i thought mental 'kinesiology':) might be easily deduceable.

and i was wrong.

Kind regards,
    MetalOrange

#78 MetalOrange, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

macazteeg, you're only 19?! You have an amazing grasp of human psychology for your age, even though you know them as theories but you're applying them really well. Thanx for starting this thread!

Re: mental rehearsal/visualization, yes, I find that if I spend a good half hour to do that while stretching prior to playing, I tend to play much better, faster, and quicker in my reflexes in predicting the opponents next shot.

Re: psyching out your opponent, I find that if I stand in an aggressive posture when receiving serve, it usually works. So, racket up near the head level towards the opponent, good firm grip with a few stern shakes of the racket, and bounce just a little bit on your forefeet.

20. MetalOrange

ooops, sticky fingers. double posting...sorry moderators, my bad.