Whats tactics should I use?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pureskillz76, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Pureskillz76

Pureskillz76 Regular Member

Okay, so I play regularly with my friend and he has amazingly good defense. He can literally get everything I throw at him. I try smashing but it does not work either, unless it is rally well placed. He's pretty week and normally, he could only clear to half court. I try killing it but he can still retrieve it. Can anybody provide a strategy for me to get out of this situation?

Thanks a lot

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I'm not sure what else to say besides... he shouldn't be retrieving your smashes from the half court.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Mix it up with some more angled smashes, deceptive drops to force him to move forward and then kill it hard when he's scrambling to get his defensive stance ready. Try flat clears to force him off balance and get more short lifts...

Why not just smash at the lines instead of at him?

4. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

rather than fianding a strategy to beat him why dont u just focus more on training and sharpening ur skills. If u can't even beat some1 that could only clear half court then ur skills lvl r pretty low, recreational lvl or below???(I would take it that he is at recreational lvl since he could only clear to half court, not to mention he is weak).

5. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    How's his stamina? Use clears and drops to tire him out, THEN go for the kill! :D

Because of an injured elbow, my current strategy is limited to mostly clears and drops, sometimes a few drives if my elbow feels good on that particular day. During this period, I'm working specifically to build up my endurance. My coach said if you can't beat your opponents with attacks, try to outlast them. :p

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Where are your shots tending to go? Are you hitting them at him, or into the spaces away from him? Are you able to hit accurately towards all four corners of the court?

7. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Are you playing against your friend in singles or doubles?

Singles- Aim for Backhand Clear
    Doubles- Target on weaker player (common sense?)

If you play singles try and do a lot of rally and reduce your mistake and tire him out

8. Pureskillz76

Pureskillz76 Regular Member

alright, thx for the advice everyone, I will try it when I play him again

again, thanks a lot :) really appreciate it

9. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    A weak person, if they are weak enough, is almost always easy to beat. Serve as far back as possible. If the serve reaches a position where it will almost touch the back baseline, and is still very high, your opponent will struggle to get force behind his return. If he is as weak as you say, his clear should not go far, and you should be positioned far enough back to easily smash the return down on the net.