How many Badminton racquets do players usually have?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dayung85, Nov 7, 2009.

1. dayung85

dayung85 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the sport and just wanted to know how many racquets I should buy once I find the model I like.

I'm a tennis player and I have three of the same racquet. Is this the same for badminton? Thanks all!

2. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

Other players please correct me if i'm wrong but generally if you're intending to play tournaments I would recommend 3-4? and if you're just playing leisurely two should do just fine

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    It really depends on what level you're playing at. The pros generally bring 3 of the same racquet to each of their matches, but they have an unlimited supply. At the opposite end of the skill level axis, I have 2 racquets but they're not the same - I just kept my old racquet when I bought a new one. I think if you're just starting out one racquet is fine, but maybe two if you're playing competitively.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

It will also depend a bit on the tension in the strings. competitive players play with very high tensions which increase the risk of breaking strings in a tournament. if you don't have someone stringing at the tournament then make sure you have enough rackets so you don't end up with nothing to play with.

When I played in college I typically had 4-6 rackets with me.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I think many amateur players can rack up quite a few rackets, but they will all be different rackets. This process probably happens as they switch from one racket, to another, to yet another. I started out in this way, but now I am trying to settle down on a specific racket and getting multiple copies of the same racket (it no longer makes sense to even bother bringing other rackets that I won't use).

It's basically limited to how much space I have in my bag, since I own more than I can fit into one bag.

6. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I would say 6 rackets in the bags , 3 of them identical then the other two different rackets are used if you want to change the style of the play ! Then the other one (third choice) is used for doubles or any other social play

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I've seen Chris Adcock break three to four racquets and/or strings in a match two days in a row :D.

8. y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n

y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n Regular Member

he is so bad luck :p

9. jaiyen

jaiyen Regular Member

Student
    lol i just have 1 of each and if i brake strings i just go to a diffrent racket all together.....? does that make me noob or something??:confused:

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Not really but when you play tournaments you don't want a different feeling racket in the middle of a match when you break a string so most players will have at least 2-3 of the same racket strung at the same tension. If they feel a need to change then they'll have a standby racket or two.

11. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

i think im the only badminton player in here that has zero racket hehe

12. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Are you sure about that? :p Playing with your hands huh...

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, that could be a long process!:p

14. y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n

well, i believe most of us here started with just One racket, as the years goes by, we know how to play, we talked to ourself that once we find the real One racket which suit us the best then we just buy another 2 or 3 as spare and that's it :)

but the reality is different, look at your bag now, you have a dozen different racket and we still saying to ourself, we haven't find the real One racket that is made for us :D

you always start with One :cool:

15. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    Pardon my ten cents worth, truth may hurt for some people, unless you are very well to do, i reckon that 2pcs of the same model and 1pc of different weight, this is for different play and requirement should be sufficient. Furthermore, you do not use all the rackets all the time. Be prudent unless you wish others to remember you as a collector of rackets rather than being a player with respectable skills.

16. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Racquets and strings break easily at high tensions. You can be playing the game seriously with all your heart and suddenly things just happen and you will really appreciate the extra backups you brought just in case. The finals match between Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Chen Jin at the China Masters 2008 comes to mind immediately.

That is unless you're using just tensions of 21lbs or lower. You won't have to worry about anything at those tensions, unless you tend to mishit a lot and use thin strings like the BG66.

17. y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n

i am a just collector :D

but i believe there are collectors with respectable skills as well :p

some people enjoy trying out new things, life is too short to stick to one racket :D

Vic Fuentes likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think a minimum of 3 of the same from my experience having played in many small tournaments. I do not carry a different weight racquet around.

19. jaiyen

jaiyen Regular Member

Student
    At the end of the day i cant Really afford 3 of each racket i play with :crying:
    Good logic but reality bites...

Vic Fuentes likes this.
  20. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    i own two rackets. one for single and one for double. For single play i prefer to play with head-heaviness which give me the ability to play long clears with easiness. Considering double play fast movement are necessary so i play even balance racket. :)

Nor Faizal and Vic Fuentes like this.