panhandle grip discussion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigredlemon, Nov 26, 2003.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The grip should reflect where the shuttle is contacted when you hit and where you want the shuttle to go. Sticking to one grip makes it simpler to learn the sport but ultimately will damage your joints due to awkward overextension. Different grips for different situations. For example, using panhandle grip when you attempt a backhand on a shot that passed your shoulder... it makes sense because you want to hit the shuttle flat in the racquet face instead of slicing it with a backhand grip. Instead of focusing on your grip, you should focus on where your racquet face should face when you make a shot. Panhandle is great for shots taken in front of your body but you should definitely switch your grip when you have to take shots to the sides of your body.

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    cappy said it all :)

3. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Ok thx!
    Ill try master the correct grip soon ..
    BTW , if I do the panhandle grip during selection or tourney(that is for selection to join sport school) , does they look on how my grip for the selection?

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, only the selectors know what they're looking for so I don't think anyone here can help to you a great deal with that question.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you're winning, they won't care. It only matters whether you're winning or not...

6. onthenightrain

onthenightrain New Member

Reading this thread has been a great help to me personally - thanks to everyone who contributed!

I've started to play badminton seriously over the last few months in preparation for playing my university, and have had this whole panhandle crisis eating away at me! Previously, I had been playing panhandle at the net and for midcourt drives, and using a 30-40 degree towards panhandle grip for all overhead shots (all without any conscious thought of my actual grip).

After a couple of coaching sessions, I had it drilled into me that I needed to use the basic - 'shaking hands' grip - for all my forehand shots. I was showed the proper technique of the smash, clear, and drop with the full body rotation. I was told that this grip would result in better deception, and faster, steeper smashes. Yet this major adjustment to my game has more or less reversed all of my previous advantages (fast defence/response speed, aggressive and deadly at the net, consistent at the back court) in the game. I am now inconsistent, less agressive, weaker in defence, with an unreliable smash and clear.

After a few frustrating weeks of practice, I have decided to go back to my original grips for all overhead shots and drives, and find that my game is now back on track.

Ultimately, I feel that a lot of people fail to allow for flexibility in the game; they are too rigid about what is the correct, textbook way to grip the racket. Yes, some direction is necessary, and there certainly are some grips which do hinder your skill development and general ability. But on the reverse side, I feel that the lack of flexibility in the coaching and advice I've read can be equally damaging. And I'm glad that a few other people here are voicing similar opinions, and standing up for the grip that work for them.

7. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I notice that Cai Yun and Fu Hai Feng use an almost panhandle grip for smashing. Actually they often manage to get well behind the shuttle so a near panhandle grip is neccessary. Some player, e.g. Tony Gunawan tend to hit the shuttle closer to his body, so his grip is more neutral. So IMHO the grip depends on the position of the shuttle. For me, I choose the type of shot I want to play then adjust the grip accordingly, while reaching the shuttle.

8. Amin Khalili

Student
    Thx , I wonder ... Real forehand grip can get better performance,power and deceptive . I have problem on changing to real grip because I already use to panhandle since Im start playing . Just want to ask , between real backhand grip and panhandle(to do backhand) , which one is more powerful?

9. Amin Khalili

Student
    Actually Im trying to asking , I'm already adopt to panhandle , then suddenly need to change to the real grip . I scare if I cant get a good shot like I have now .

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For the net and midcourt drives, that sounds okay. For your overheads, it's going to limit the quality of your shots.

A slight shift towards panhandle is effective for smashes (but only when you've got behind the shuttle). But using this grip for all your overheads is a bad idea; clears in particular will suffer.

If you haven't already read it, I recommend looking at my grips guide. In particular:

That isn't quite accurate. The basic grip is correct for many forehand shots, but not all of them. In particular, moving towards panhandle is often appropriate for above-the-hand forehands at the net.

You have to give it time. You can't expect to completely rebuild your technique in just a few weeks. This is a huge issue in coaching: players usually get worse before they get better. Jeremy Silman expresses this neatly:

He's talking about chess, but the same thing happens in badminton. Much of the challenge in coaching is persuading players to try something new! I can't count how many times I've heard the "but it doesn't feel right" argument.

Well, of course your game is "back on track". You're using the techniques that you have practised most, and therefore you're playing better.

That's fine. If you want to win a competition, limit yourself to the methods that currently work for you. But if you want to improve your game, you need to give new methods a chance in training.

You don't necessarily have to make all the changes at once. That would be asking a lot!

If you have trouble using the basic grip, it's probably because there is a mismatch between the grip and your current hitting action. Your current hitting action matches a panhandle grip; if you simply change the grip, it won't work -- because your hitting action is incompatible with the new grip.

It's hard to make big changes to your hitting action all at once. Why not make small changes instead? Gradually move away from panhandle and towards the basic grip, while introducing some arm rotation into your hitting action.

You have to remember that coaches will normally present simplified advice. They say things like, "you should always do X". The reality, of course, is that "you should do X in situation A, and Y in situation B...".

Personally, I think most coaches over-simplify their advice. We're often so afraid of confusing players, that we end up patronising them instead. ;) Players are not stupid, and I find they are often more capable of understanding complex ideas than we coaches give them credit for.

Nevertheless, there are some clear "rights and wrongs" in badminton technique. Some methods, such as using a full panhandle grip for smashing, will fundamentally limit your game. It's up to you to decide whether that matters! ;)

I'm not sure what you expect of coaches. What are we supposed to say here?

Perhaps we should say, "Don't worry if you can't be bothered to work at your technique. It doesn't really matter anyway -- it's all about personal preference. The best method is whatever works for you."

Sounds more like hand-holding than coaching. :p

11. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    this is slightly related and i have golums attention so ill ask it here.

I usually use a panhandle for receiving serve. Toe to the line, panhandle and flicks arent an issue. Recently i played against a very clever player who refused to serve anywhere but wide to my backhand, so that id naturally push down the partners forehand. Problem is , my panhandle grip completely fell apart at this wide angle. Its only usefull until the shuttle reaches my left shoulder, then its a mess. So im thinking of returning all serves with a backhand grip , so i can cover all the bases ( except a flick, but i might be able to change in time... havnt tried yet). seeing as i only have 4 returns( net, push in middle, push down BH, half court push) i like to use, a bh grip might work ok. BOO PANHANDLE!! failed me after all these years.