Make Drops closer to the net.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Oct 12, 2009.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I can't seem to make my overhead drops closer to the net. My drops are pretty far, just a bit before service line. I try to press my wrist harder but it goes it the net and I try other things and it does not work. :crying: Thanks. Any ideas? : )

2. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

it depends on the distance and height that you contact the shuttle at and most preferably.... you should try slicing the shuttle. there's lots of topics about slicing... search!!! sorry im not very good at details...

3. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    Think about it this way, a sharp net shot generally has to have a curved trajectory to be able to land very close to the net.
    also, you need to consider where above your head you are hitting the drop shot.
    some people let the shuttle drop until about their head height which tends to make it much harder to land sharper drop shots. (and is also bad)
    Try hitting it at a higher contact point, so to find this point - hold your badminton racket directly above your head and stretch your arm out just above you.
    finally, the only other possible thing i can think about it try out another racket that has more control > power, which therefore should make it easier.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You can make your drops land closer to the net by hitting them more softly, and changing the racket angle on contact so that it doesn't point down as much. Very slow, loopy drops can be achieved by hitting the shuttle initially in an upwards direction; these will land close to the net.

But are you sure this is a good idea? Most of the time, it's better to play a fast drop, where the shuttle lands near the service line. For details, see my page about fast vs. slow drops (this is for singles, but it's true in doubles too).

5. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

With it being so variable on height and distance it's a case of just getting used to hitting them from different places. Like gollum said, it also depends on whether you're going for a drop to obtain a lift or a drop to out-maneuver your opponent(s). My coach had me run drills for this very problem because I felt that my drops just weren't tight enough, have one person lifting drops to you, except make sure they are at least behin the service line, for a more realistic view. Make sure your arm is very relaxed, if you tense up before hitting your shot then you aren't going to be able to play a more angled drop. One last thing to mention is how high you hit the shuttle, you may THINK you're hitting it as high as you can, but unless you are really thinking about it, you probably aren't. That's where the drills will come in useful too.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I agree with Gollum here. Drops landing just before the service line should be perfect. You don't want them to be too slow because it means your opponent can take it close to the net and play a tight spinning net shot. I'd say you're hitting it just fine. I'd focus more on the trajectory, making sure it's nice and sharp, rather than slow and loopy.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    how close ur drop to the net is not important...

how u drop is more important...

if u meet a very good player, before u hit the shuttle he will know u wanna drop the shuttle thus will be waiting to pounch on u at the net!

If ur movement for drop, lop & smash are similar, the likelihood of killing the shots with a drop is much higher

8. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    my coach said something that you will either find relevant or not, but it was the best answer i could ever get to understanding the answer to this question. I asked, "As much as I work on taking the shuttle high, contact the shuttle in front, rotate my body, and follow through, how come my drop shots from the back never get as tight and down after going past the net like international players?". He replied, "That's easy. The international players, this is their career. This puts food on their table. That's why their shots are like 'this' tight. But for YOU, this doesn't put food on your table. That's why your shots are like 'this'". At that moment, I finally understood.

9. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I'll echo Gollum. If you play singles a drop that lends 6 inches in front of the service line is a GREAT shot, but if its played with good pace. A slow drop in the same place is horrific. A tighter shot will generally have to be played much slower or at a different trajectory, and again like Gollum said, do you really want to do this? You want your shot to either set you up for a lift which you can launch another attack or push your opponent further out of position, or an out right point if they cannot play it. A slow drop doesnt guarantee any of that, they can actually counter attack using a drop or cross drop or if they catch it high they can push it which may force you to lift or play a defensive shot.

10. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the tips in this thread everyone. I consider myself reasonably good at getting tight drops from the back of the court, but I invariably play slow slices. I'll have to try out some fast drops.

11. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    I wouldnt say i am good at drops. But i think my drops improve quite considerably.

6months ago, i couldnt play a proper drop, my drop were all around the service line, if not, further. During short "practise sessions", i always try slicing the shuttle, usually, it will land into the net. From there, slowly adjust, reducing the slice each time. Give it a little push. Experiment on how much slice u will need on a drop.:)

Hope this helps.:)

12. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Cross-court slice drop can land more than one feet before service line, and it can be relatively fast. See WSX
    http://v.ttymq.com/index.php/video/index/838
    I think she hit cleanly and sliced well.

Straight drop is much harder to be both steep and fast.

If you contact the shuttle higher, by jumping or otherwise, it also helps to make it drop steeper.