Game Rule - Interesting Case Study

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by e_rat, Sep 18, 2009.

1. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    Besides badminton, I play golf too. Maybe, you all know there are so many rules in golf. In contrast, badminton rule was much simpler. Here is something I want to share with you all.

I read this case from the book, "Badminton", by Steven Boga. Published by Stackpole Books, ISBN 0-8117-2487-5

During a fast-paced rally, a player, not realizing the shuttle will land well out of bounds, drives the bird down her right sideline. It travels below the net level to the right of the net pole and lands in the back corner of the opponent's court. What is the call?

a. Award the rally to the striking player
    b. Award the rally to the defending player
    c. Call a let

(Let: Any exchange or rally that is replayed.)

I was amazed what the answer is. I will give out the answer next week. If you interested, there are few more cases that I can share.

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

is it b? Since the birdie traveled below the net level? Btw have you read any books (not ebooks) that offer a lot of strategies or weight training book specifically for badminton?

3. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

It's A, it's perfectly valid to hit the shuttle around the post below net height. It's no real advantage to the striker as it can only be done if the shuttle was going out anyway - unlike tennis, you can't use sidespin to bend the flight of the ball/shuttle around the post.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yep - A.

The shuttle can hit the pole , and go in , winning the point!

Unfortuntely never happened to me :p.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    It's A
    It perfectly fine if it goes around the pole.

I think as long as if it doesn't goes under in the section where between the net and the pole.

6. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

from BWF Laws of Badminton (updated Jan 2009)

13.3.3 It shall be a fault, if in play, the shuttle fails to pass over the net.

I guess I would have to say B :rolleyes:

Cheers!

7. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

I agree with Break-My String.

That book was published in 1996. The earliest copy of rules I have is 2002 and the relevant rule then was:

It is a 'fault':
    13.2 if in play, the shuttle
    13.2.3 fails to pass the net

If this rule was in force in 1996, then it would not be a fault, as there is no requirement for the shuttle to pass over the net. It was (and still is) a fault for the shuttle to pass under the net.

With the new rules (Jan 2009) then I would say it is a fault.

8. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    According to the book where I got this case study, the answer is A

Award the rally to the player striking the shuttle. The only time the shuttle is required to pass directly over the net is during service (Law 11.1.6). During a rally, the shuttle may legally travel over the net or at any height around the net pole. It is a fault if the shuttle travels under or through the net (Law 15.4.2).

However, as Break-my-string stated, this book is written in 1996. How the new law interpret this? Is this still legal? I don't know. But, if it happen to me in a real life (maybe the odd is less than winning a slot machine Jackpot), I will go with answer A.

9. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    ionoo, I pick up this book was because my daughter (7th grade) needed it for research paper. Went to 3 branch libraries in San Francisco, I could only found 3 books on badminton, and they are all from 90's. I could find more books on Stakeboard than badminton. How sad!

Well, to answer your question, no, I haven't read any books on strategies or weight training. I just come to badmintoncentral.com for advices.

Yeah, BC!

10. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    Case #2:

:) A player strikes a shuttle that obviously will not clear the net. The striker's opponent, not realizing that the shuttle will be SHORT, take a swing at it , misses, but hit the net tape with his racket. At the moment the opponent touches the net, the shuttle is about an inch below the top the net. What is the call?

A. Nothing
    B. Call a fault on the opponent for touching the net.
    C. Award the rally the opponent who touched the net.
    D. Call a let

Case #3:

A player strikes a shuttle that hits the top of the net and begins to fall on the striker's side the net. The striker's opponent, not realizing that the shuttle has failed to clear the net, swings at it, misses, but hit the net with the racket. At the time she hit the net, the shuttle is below the tape level on the striker's side of the net. What is the call?

A. Nothing
    B. Call fault on the opponent for touching the net.
    C. Award the rally to the opponent who touched the net.
    D. Call a let.

This two cases are so similar, but #2 make it over the net but SHORT, and #3 did not make it over the net. I will come back later for answer from this book. :rolleyes:

enjoy!

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

??? This contradicts what you said first. Ignoring this comment, and just replying to the blue text:

Case 2: the shuttle is still in play, therefore the answer is B.

Case 3: the shuttle ceased to be in play after it hit the net, at the moment it started to fall on the striker's side, therefore the answer is C.

The difference between the two cases is purely the timing, yes? The striker plays the same shot in both cases (the shuttle will hit the net); in case 2, the opponent touches the net before the shuttle does, and in case 3 the shuttle hits the net first.

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

When I was reading this, I was immediately thinking snake shot. (for those of you who know what I'm talking about)

13. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    Noooooo leave that out of here!

Recognizing that has made me want to crawl under a rock for the rest of the day ;.;

14. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    For #2: I think it's B.

For #3: I think it's C. Because the shuttle has failed to pass the net and the point is already awarded to the defender even though he/she touches the net after.

Very interesting case, keep them coming.

15. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Sounds like when I took my highway codes and rules for my driving test.

#3 is new to me.

16. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    #1 is A
    #2 is B
    #3 is B
    I think.

17. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I wonder if e_rat plans to come back and actually give us the answers.

18. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    #2 is B, because the bird is still in play, when the opponent hits the net. Law 15.6.1

#3 is C, since the bird did not get over the net, the bird was not in play (the rally was already over) when opponent touched the net. So touching the net was not fault. Law 17.2

I just copy them from the book. Once again, the book is from 1996. So, feel free to correct me if it is outdated.

#18 e_rat, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  19. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    Case #4

In a double match, a player swings at and misses the shuttle. His swing carries his racket head over the net into his opponents' court space. Before the shuttle hits the floor behind him, his partner swats in over the net for an apparent winner. What is the call?

20. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    If the thrown racket hits any of the the opposite players, it's already an obstruction. Therefore, the umpire should call a let.

If the thrown racket did not obstruct in anyway, the point should be awarded to the striker.

Did I get it right?