most badminton players are sucko !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Jul 9, 2001.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    of course everyone wants to practice with people better than themselves, but they should keep in mind that it's logically impossible for everyone to just play with better players but not weaker players. So if you've spent an hour playing stronger players, it doesn't hurt to take half an hour to help those with skills below you. As long as the player has a good attitude i wouldn't mind one bit. though there's always people who
    1. take recreational games too seriously and keep blaming/scolding their partners
    2. give ridiculous advices and expects their partner to obey them. or even scolding them when they fail to do so. (once a guy insists that doubles rotation is exclusive pro-business and that we shouldn't imitate the pros. He also had to stress that i am WAY FAR from that standard.)
    3. make absurd expectations to their partner's ability.(once i hit a weak backhand shot and the opponent killed it, and my partner gave me the 'all-thanks-to-your-lousy-backhand' kind of look, totally forgetting that it's him who set me up with that cockup situation when he didn't move to where he's supposed to.)
    Most of the times people don't realise such things themselves. In many other areas outside badminton people's judgement gets severely impaired by their sheer egotism. There's nothing much we can do but to learn to be unaffected by them.

2. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

I play in a club with different level of players; 10% advance, 30% intermediate, and 60% between beginner & intermediate. I don't mind play with lower level players unless I am exhausted or have a game set up with advance player. Just remember that we all started as a beginner and has improved over time by playing with higher level players. I have seen quite a bit of players has improved since they first came to the club.
    In our club, we play doubles, so quite frequently I will be paired up with lower level player to play with two intermediate opponents. I am quite welcome in my club so I guess I am not in the "sucko" category. However, I have to admit sometimes is frustrating when play with lower level partner while you just get to hit 10 - 15 % of the shots the entire game. From experiences, couching or blaming your partners during the game will not help. Praising them for hitting a good shot & encouragement will increase their confident & the level of their play. I do agree equipment will make a different, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Yes, there are some players who think they could smash or play like Lin Dan when they have top of the line racket that strung at 30 lbs +. Equipment will help but technique / skill is the one matter. Personally, I like to string my racket at around 22 lbs which I think is easier for control & suit my style. I also prefer Carbonex racket due to to its durability. Top of line rackets are easy to break.
    There will be always players who think they are good and will not play with lower level players. It happens in our club & I am sure it happens everywhere else. Bottom line, just keep in mind no matter what level are you, there is always someone out there who is better than you!

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

What if the coach has lower skills than his students?

Good point, you guys bring up about beginners trying to tell you what to do.

What if the beginner is a coach?

I actually seen a coach, that teaches the students how to do a basic stroke like the overhead and some basic footwork drills. Obviously he knows how to talk very well.

He kept telling the student to do this and that, but when the coach tries to demonstrate, his motor skills looked very awkward and he hits overhead with a bent elbow. I think the coach skill is like high beginner.

I suspect the coach is just bluffing for money. The students are kids (under 12) and mostly young girls. I suspect he doesn't dare to coach teenage boys. :D (who will demand their money back or beat him up)

#123 Badmintan, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

I will not send my kids to coach who teaches wrong basic techniques. It is very important to get the techniques right when you are a beginner especially for kids. Once you have the right technique, then comes the skills. So often we see players with wrong basic techniques that they have developed over years. It is very difficult to correct once you are an adult.

5. hduong

hduong Regular Member

Just wondering if getting a beating 21-0 helps a beginner improved faster or lowering your game and win 21-10. Not sure getting smashed on and made to look a fool every point is really that helpful for a beginner. Gotta learn to walk before you run right? But maybe someone with advanced coaching experience might be able to chime in.

6. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

My coach always told me this, " Playing badminton is about building friendship and your passion". When you are a good player, dont be boastful, be humble, people will like u better. We all train badminton for different reasons, whether to be able to play with people the beautiful game to just have a enjoyment of the game, as long as one is happy, it is alright. I seek playing badminton is to build friendship and also to seek playing a game that i enjoy.

In short, just be humble and build friendship through sports. ( and to keep fit tooo!)

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Am I the only one who's pedo alert monitor see a massive spike? :D:D

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Sometimes such people even end up coaching a national team :eek:. Thank god for assistants? :p

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    maybe he beliv in new technique... just like how Butterfly stroke is invented from breast stroke???

Can never rule that out! :cool:

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    LOL :D

:eek: I'd rather hire a coach who's not that good than the best coach there is but is a pedo. I don't want my innocence to get tainted. :D :p

Sorry. Out of topic. Carry on.

11. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I dun think so, but the coach seems to like yummy mummy and seduce them to send their daughters/sons for coaching.

The parents usually are around, since you ask...but when the parents not around the coach just let them muck around/do nothing so he can relax. :eek:

12. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Back to the topic..if u happend to have those cocky friend..if it's me,i'll train harder n beat them..take their position to be the better player on court,then be friendly to the other players.But before so,to avoid it,don't play with those players,until u've become a player in those level.Otherwise,u wont feel happy that they're not playing seriously.

13. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

Ive been playing for one year but I hate playing against weaker players but if i'm in a game with really advanced players then i feel like i'm dragging them down :(

any suggestions?

14. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    oh.. ur here too! lol

try not to "hate" playing with weaker players. Playing with a partner that's weak can help you to push yourself further. You'll be expected to cover more of the court and you'll have to play more accurate shots to set up your partner. It's not about just winning at all... it's about having fun and maybe even helping others to push themselves more to get better.

more "advanced" players should know this already.. or at least keep it in mind. If they've got attitude problems... let them deal with it. Instead of feeling like you're dragging them down.. maybe ask them what you should do to help make the rallies better. Play the best you can without losing your control and balance during the games.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To make Badminton a more popular sport?

Well said chrisnchips,

Isn't Badminton for all players (weak and strong)?

From many posts here in this thread, are we telling weaker players to give up playing Badminton?

Aren't we all trying to encourage more players to participate in Badminton, to make Badminton a more popular sport?

#135 chris-ccc, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  16. Monster

Monster Regular Member

If everyone thinks like you, there will be world peace...

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A better chance for Badminton to be a more popular sport than to have World Peace

:D:D:D There is a better chance for Badminton to be a more popular sport than to have World Peace.

18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Is it true that when stronger players play with weaker players, the stronger player's level gets dragged down? Because one time, I heard a class A player complaining after he lost in his game. He reasoned out that the reason why he lost is because he has been playing with class B players and lower. (And from what I gathered, I'm one of the class B players he has been playing with :mad:.) Is it right to blame it on us?

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes and no [​IMG]. Yes, I believe you lose some sharpness if over a longer period and No he can't blame it on you unless he was forced at gunpoint to play with you :D.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This is sad for Badminton if stronger player wish not to play with weaker player

Answer: If a class A player is good enough to exert pressure on his/her opponents, and/or set up easier shot opportunities for his/her class B partner, then everything should be balanced.

But, we are here not to talk about 'Winning or Losing'. My post is to criticise BCers who think that they are so strong that they wish not to play with new comers to Badminton.
    This is just too sad for Badminton. :mad::mad::mad:

I remember attending a Chess club and got a chance to play against a Chess Grandmaster. It gave me an impression that that Grandmaster wish to promote Chess to new players. If he was to say to me "Sorry, you are too weak to play against me"; I would know that his club is meant for strong/experienced players only. And that he is not interested to bring in Chess beginners to his club.