How do you guys feel or do when people insult your sport?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Oct 20, 2008.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Maybe the reason why they changed it to the rally system (21-point rule) is because, as shown in the stats above, badminton is too much physically demanding. I'm not sure, but maybe they wanted to downgrade badminton to make it even with tennis, but instead, making the intensity level far easier. I'm not sure, though. Why did they change it anyway? :confused:

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
  4. fitnessguy

fitnessguy Regular Member

Student
    I never experience anyone who makes fun of badminton - all my friends know how much i love this sport and they also know that i whould punch them in their faces if they were to critisize it.
    when i tell "new people" that i play badminton, i make sure that they know how much i love this game as well - therefore i don't get those comments :D

5. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

I grin at them ... then after a couple of mins, I ask them to play with me in the court :D

6. alexh

alexh Regular Member

But they don't actually spend all that time playing tennis.

If tennis players were required to hit the next serve within five seconds of the last rally ending, if they weren't allowed two or more attempts for each serve (so fewer "easy" points from aces and big serves), and if they only got a change of ends and a chance to sit down after someone wins 21 points, not four points, would they be able to keep up the intensity for a whole hour? It would be a very different game.

7. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Yah , same as I am .
    I thought I dont want to talk big to people , but I must talk about badminton to my friend so they think that Im a badminton lover/fan . And I also must let people know how good I am . I not really want to let people know , scare people think Im a peacock or something but I must because my school have problem on selection to present school(or maybe they dont do it at all) .

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I like badminton, and i don't really gets that though, none of people I know they said that. But yea if they actually do, who cares, I don't really care. Different people different opinion. And different sport has different aspect of it. People who talk crap about other people sport, because they just don't know the sport, either enlight them with some rally (maybe we'll get another badminton player after they try it) or just simply just say "yea i guess, i'm not good to judge anything" and smile

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Actually, that would be a minimum of 8 points before they sit down :D:). But I get the point of your argument.

10. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Oops, yes! Good catch.

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    It's something you have to ignore and deal with. Every sport has its criticisms.
    Rugby is a bunch of gay guys grabbing and hugging each other?
    Soccer/football is a bunch of fairys prancing around the field and crying when they get tapped and fall over??
    Basketball is for all the muscly gangsters who are too cool to play sports where your jersey/clothing fits correctly?

lol just smile and enjoy your sport for what it is.
    We understand the tru challenges and thats what matters and thats why we love it ;)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Well, longer duration does not mean one sport is more physical demanding than another.

Do you think every single marathon runner is 100 times in better shape than 100m racers? Swimmers, divers, skaters, gymnastics hardly in action for more than a few minutes (or even seconds), do you think their physical condition can be slacking off?

As a player, who has numerous knee and ankle injury, if you ask me to take an extra few seconds to run straight, rather than turning 180' in a fraction of a second, I think my playing career can be much much longer. :rolleyes:

13. writer106

writer106 New Member

Sales
    I just laugh at them and challenge them. A lot of people don't realize how physical badminton is.

14. ah_lee_ba_ba

ah_lee_ba_ba Regular Member

Freelance
    Frankly, if anyone comment on that. I wont go and prove him wrong in one way or another. Why? Because just by showing to him that it is not, you have already showing him that it is. What I meant is that, you know Badminton is a true sport, and you dont need to show to anyone about this sport. Only poeple who go thru' witht he fun of playing will know what a sport is. So why bother about someone comment. Just smile and then carry on with your love of playing this 'sport'

15. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I just hate how my parent especially my mom insult me with badminton .
    She said "Lee Chong Wei lose , nobody want to play anymore"(translation from malay to english).
    Damn!I just hate the way my mom insult it . I will prove that everyday I train is useful and I will be badminton player!

16. Wilson Shuttler

Wilson Shuttler Regular Member

n/a
    i commend your determination, i to am training everyday to become pro, i know exactly how you feel.

17. event

event Regular Member

Where do they get these ideas? I understand the frustration with golf but his objections to it are based on the same principles as is the inclusion of badminton.

Oddly, his mention of croquet almost makes it sound as if he read Oldhand's article.

18. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

agreed it "looks" easy but once you are there diving for the shuttlecock it suddenly seems a lot tougher :D

19. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    I ask them what sport they play. And then humiliate them.

Some of the guys on the wrestling team at the HS I went to used to say that same things about crew (think it was mostly cause a friend switched over to the crew team). I'd say the irony of wrestlers calling any sport gay speeks for itself >.>

As for badmintonspecifically? In the US the overwhelming majority of people think of it as a backyard sport (F'in sportscraft!) so anyone who plays should accept that is a prevailing opinion; I doubt much could be done to change it >.>

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Them: "Badminton is fairy tennis"
    Me: "Want a game then?"
    5 min later, them: "gg QQ"