Foot stance for doubles backhand serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Apr 14, 2005.

?

How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

1. Non-racquet foot forward

55.6%
  2. Racquet foot forward

33.3%
  3. Both feet (roughly) square to the net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It varies, depending on which side I serve from

11.1%
  1. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

Racquet foot forward
    its faster to reach the net and execute net kills
    Also, can push off my racquet foot to move to back in case i have to cover the back

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Sorry if this point has already been stated. But recently I learnt that , having your non-racket foot forward can be helpfull for one more reason than I had previously thought!:eek:!

Try this , have your racket foot forward and serving , and then your non racket foot serving. The non-racket foot is closer to the net , by approximateley 6 inches.

This means that the shuttle doesn't have to travel as far , and the opponent has less time to react.

Once again I apologise if this point has already been said.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I have to disagree. If you have either foot right at the "T", they're the same distance from the net. Your experiment must be flawed as all factors must be consistent to obtain a credible scientific result.

Also think about this. Imagine lunging at the net for a drop shot? Which foot do you lead with? The racket foot. Why? Other than good footwork, it gets you closer to the net than the non-racket foot. Try it.

4. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

interesting question!
    sometimes its both feet equally and some time its the non-racket foot.

5. keong2

keong2 Regular Member

manager
    Straight low serve
    1. For right handed players is right foot in front.
    2. Pinch the feather with thumb and a finger with the shuttle direction straight horizontal.
    3. Face of your racket head to contact the shuttle at or about 90 degrees.
    4. Small momentum carries your racket forward in a straight manner. The distance of momentum not more than your maximum wrist rotation. If you lift your hand or wrist the bird will go higher away than the white tape of the net, vice versa.
    To serve low to the side of your opponent
    1. The shuttle direction to left or right. It is your choice!

Happy serving low!

6. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

i was always told whatever feels natural to you. You probably wouldn't want to serve in an awkward position and miss would you?

7. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
  8. keong2

keong2 Regular Member

manager
    you are freaking everywhere in this forum using the same clip. damn irritating. can u bloody stop it. moderators, please ....

9. Smarhiel

Smarhiel Regular Member

Student
    definitly racquet foot forward when I do a backhand serve

10. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    This is a discussion that can go on indefinately.

The important aspect here, first of all is how comfortable is your stance when making the serve.

The second important point is the movement of the racket - can the server consistently play a tight serve?

The third point here is whether the server has the ability to retrieve the next shot if it's returned in an area they should be covering.

If you can consistently do all three of the above, then foot placement is irrelevant.

To your success.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

11. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    This is about foot placement when serving as well:

How close/far from the T should you stand when you are serving?

I usually toe the line, and then get up on my tip toes when I serve, but I have noticed some players stand even a foot back to serve, so they can get their serve flatter as it crosses the net.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I continue to toe the line or try serving from a little bit further back?

12. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

You could use that logic about every single shot in the game - yet, you don't say to your rookies "do what feels the most comfortable". I've seen people who used pan handle, yet were still able to clear without any sort of trouble since they had awesome foot-work to compensate. I don't think you'll disagree that they would've been better off had they used a proper technique and not what felt the best.

Standing with the non-racket foot forward has a couple of cons which are pretty big:

1) less room for the rackets backswing which makes it more likely that you'll hit your own body with your rackethead.

2) When setting off from the center, everyone sets off with their non-racket foot - by standing with this one forward, you'll be slower at getting to the net, than someone who has already placed his jump foot behind him.

How comfortable you are is something you'll get by doing something loads of time - heck, in the beginning I think most of us were more comfortable using the panhandle, yet we were all trained how to do it properly so that holding it right is now what feels the most comfortable.

To your improvement.

13. Brian Tjoa

Brian Tjoa New Member

pussy-eater
    i measure, before a game, how many steps it'd take for me to move back to the doubles service line, and find a comfortable spot accordingly. normally its as close to the net as possible

14. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    I think for point no 1, some ppl lean forward quite a lot. That's why they don't find the racket head hitting their non-racket leg (which is in front).

I personally use racket feet forward (near the T) because I don't lean so much to the front. When you lean too much to the front, there is a tendency to have higher racket position which is actually illegal.

So I think there is another factor which is the body position in this argument about which leg is in front during a serve. When the non-racket is forward, they can also just step that foot to the left and they will be in the center position (when serving from the right side). When serving from the left side, just step the racket foot to the right and the effect is similar.

I have seen ppl with square footing (looks strange to me) but it can work.

15. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

I probably should've pointed out that 2) was the most important :p

Regarding stepping one foot to the side - that isn't what I was getting at in nr. 2, but rather when the reciever returns with a netdrop. You'll have to jump to the net if you want to keep the attack, and if you have your non-racket leg behind already, you'll be that much quicker there than if you have to first get your feet parallel, then jump to the front.

16. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad

Theoretically it sounds right but I don't do it (non-racket foot in front) so I would refrain from commenting. I was just trying to explain why some ppl find that it is not a problem. I'll observe the ppl in my group if they are doing this. That is best. :p

17. Ryder Blade

Ryder Blade Regular Member

Student
    Racket foot forward =/ Everyone I know in my HS badminton team does that and our coach tells us we should do it that way. xD

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If this is an issue, then your backswing is way too long. :p

Immediately after serving, you should make a split drop, so you are ready to push off for the next shot. During this movement, you can reposition your feet however you please (I suggest approximately side-by-side, as you have much more net width to cover than forwards/backwards movement; but it may depend on your opponent's preferred returns).

So by the time your opponent is hitting the shuttle, it shouldn't matter where your feet were originally positioned.

19. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

It depends on your serving technique. You can either use the wrist or a more pushing motion with a stiff wrist. The pushing motion is great as it is very easily reproduceable, downside is that it requires more space, which you won't have if you stand with the non-racket foot forwards.

If your opponent intercepts your serve high and drops it to the side you will be able to jump forwards immediatly, sure it is situational but as there isn't any downside to standing with the racketfoot forward I don't see the reason not to do it.

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, I can't recall seeing anyone playing at the top level who uses this big a backswing.

I'm not sure whether I've got the right picture in my head of what you're describing. If it's what I think, then it's something I would try to coach out of students.

My experience -- for what little that counts ;) -- is that these long-push serves are pretty easy to attack.

Er...

If he drops it to the side, then you'll need to move mainly sideways (and also forwards). :confused:

As you say, there's nothing wrong with serving racket-foot forwards. But then again, there's nothing wrong with the alternatives either.

Some techniques are "objectively" right or wrong. Others are about personal preference. I believe this one is the latter.

#160 Gollum, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010