There's no badminton club here. What should i do?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AznAndrew, Sep 10, 2009.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

There used to be a badminton club in my area, but it got bought by a gym.

I'm really interested in badminton, and I want to become better. Thing is, I want to go and play all the time, but there's no one who will go with me. People these days have jobs, and it seems that they would rather work than play some badminton.

What kinds of things should i do to improve myself?

2. SaberTooth

SaberTooth Regular Member

Jobless
    well, i dont really have a place to play badminton in my area either(damn hick of a town :() only place i can really play is my school, so you could either work on your cardio, perhaps strength train a bit for smashes. Or, you could look up some footwork drills and perhaps practice those at your home, most important is probally the cardio and footwork. technique>strength :)

3. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Use a wall to play against, try to start up a club (sharing the gym or some area), or move somewhere else.

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

If you want to play, find people who still plays, or places (HS, community, club) open for badminton.

As long as there are people interested in badminton, you can rent places together to play. You can start a club if there are sufficient interest. Don't wait for someone else to do it for you if it doesn't exist yet.

5. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

Have you checked the places to play forum http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

or even www.meetup.com

I play badminton in London, UK. Through BC's "places to play" forum I found other badminton players - their groups/clubs were created at meetup.com. There seems to be loads of social badminton players in London. Someone has a go and sets up group to gauge interest. When there is enough members you go book courts based on player numbers and times. Fantastic.

All the best
    Phil