Kudos to Panasonic

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by taneepak, May 26, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You don't have to worry abt losing them..

..if need be, Cheung will be glad to help you carry those camera equipments along with you and if need be, he will guard them with his life, so you won't lose them.
    So, whaddaya say, could you go and take those HK Open pics for us using your much talked abt camera equipments & lenses??:confused::cool:

2. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Wow, you move from one body to another body very fast.. in fact I think wayy too fast. This remind me of alot of Canon user in the Canon forum.. switching body as fast as the new one introduce... I can understand the joy of getting new toy or getting the latest/best stuff at current time but IMHO it won't do any good to the photography skill or maximising the use of the current gear.
    Maybe you and me have different perspective.. for me, I want to polish my photography skill, and maximise the gear I have.. I will only move on to next gear if the current gear is limiting/can't do what I want anymore. I seen too many users who keep switching to current latest pro gears but producing so-so photo..
    Another view.. give Lindan a cheap racket and give average person the latest, badass, racket. Lindan will keep beat the average person anytime.
    Okay.. now I think you are not comparing apple to apple, I'm not sure if M4 is collector or not (but sound like it is).. you comparing collector item to the current body? Get my idea?
    I'm not surprised actually.. what surprise me is, you don't have 4/3 or their lenses (yes you might have hold one to test but thats not enough to really knowing the gears) yet you 'trashing' DSLR?
    Taneepak, can you explain more of the new digital? lens lack texture and are too cold and bleached? or maybe post photo comparison if possible? I thought the lens is interchangeable, difference only the media film or sensor. By the way, your friends not comparing old expensive or those rare high end lenses to.. maybe EF-S 18-55 right?
    Again for the Olympus zoom vs Canon zoom, any sample?

3. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    ahh taneepak, dont get me wrong, i do appreciate your feedback. they're very helpful, and not just with reference to this thread. just that i prefer the specific micro43 lenses instead of 43 lenses + adapters. judging from your collection of cameras u must have a wealth of experience,,definitely no spring chicken, (that i also deduced your age from the info on your post)... 18yrs old pre 1960... :)

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In fact you have a camera that is very versatile, next to the Olympus E-P1, mainly because of its very short lens to sensor distance. For photographers who were brought up in the old school where they were forced to know the ins and outs of both the camera parts, optics, and forming an image from clicking of the shuuter to the dark room and then either slides or prints, the Micro Four Thirds can be a blessing. There are many fast standard 50mm lenses of F1.4 or F2.0 from the big names like Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Leica (this is still definitely too expensive even for a standard lens) that you can use it on your GH1 with an adaptor. With a 50mm F1.4 lens on your GH1 it becomes a 100mm F1.4. This should be more than adequate for your need in taking badminton photos. All you need is to rely less on the machine to do everything for you as all present digital cameras do, but learn how to manipulate apertures, shutter speeds, EVs, and learn how to take advantage of live view of the GH1. Don't go beyond the standard 50mm lens because once you venture away from standard lenses you are in very expensive territory.
    BTW, another of my friend now told me that he is in fact using a Leica M adaptor on his Panasonic GH1 to use his more than 20 Leica M lenses on the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds. He says there is simply no comparison with the Panasonic digital lenses with his M lenses, the Panasonic look rather cheap in comparison. But I don't suggest you do this because venturing into Leica M lenses territory, although not a money losing idea over time, is very, very expensive. You only do this if you already have a collection of Leica M lenses.
    Not only that, do you know that you can use almost all the MF lenses on your GH1, again with the use of the appropriate adaptor? There are some superlative Hasselblad Sonnar 80mm F2.8 lenses from the film days that are a bargain.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you are in Hong Kong, try to visit David Chan who runs a camera shop with the same name in Kowloon near TST. If he has time he will tell you a thing or two. If you have time spend a few days in a cluster of camera shops around his area and you will find camera "nuts" or enthusiasts who can even make adaptors and also modify your lenses from one maker onto another maker's lens mount. I no longer associate with these chaps, since the early 1990s after the passing away of a former Leica technician who was a member of the group or groups.
    You can find examples in this forum. Badly taken pictures taken on films look bad but they don't give you the chill, even those that are badly out of focus. Badly taken digital photos look bleached on this forum make one shiver nad leave one cold.

6. ae86trueno

Sorry Taneepak, I still don't get it.. what do you mean by chill? (shiver?) and what do you mean by bleached?
    By chill/shiver I guess negative chill instead of like when something really amazing/majestic (this give me goose bump)?
    Badly taken photo will always be bad I guess... badly film no chill and badly digital give chill? Sorry I still don't get it... :confused:
    By bleached do you mean the colour washed out? like when you bleach clothes, the colour will fade away? bleach opposite of contrasy?
    Do you mind, give me link to the photo that shiver and cold? or PM me the link? Reason is, I want to see what photo is good what photo is bad.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i think you need to update for digital age unless stop at film base.
    since no one able to provide actual review of leica lens, this one can help. it seems that leica 25mm f/1.4 is not that much better than sigma 30mm f/1.4. i am not even start to look at canon or nikkor lens, maybe they are better than sigma?
    there is one said panasonic is smart to acquire quality lense from leica but so far i havent found one. as i said before, film is matte finished, cmos or ccd sensor is reflective. old lenses' coatings are not optimize for the cmos or ccd sensor. normal shooting for non-highlight subject is ok. once there are highlights, we can say bye-bye to the photo.
    i can say leica lens are superb, that was their time for film base. as the technology and current needs, leica needs to update their lenses. we can argue until kingdom comes, evidence is what we need. post some latest photos taken by using 4/3 digital sensor + old leica lenses and let us admire.

8. yellowduck

finance
    i actually saw rumours that a new panasonic gf1 will have backlit led sensor. sony too will release cameras adopting this technology. i think it might help take good badminton shots w/out fast lenses. sorry, a little off topic but was excited when i saw it. thought id share.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    something like this, taken with the mumbo-jumbo sensor + cheapo lens. :mad:

Attached Files:

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    is that getting the fujifilm sensor?
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s200exr/features/page_02.html
    super ccd EXR is design to lower the noise at high iso. not sure that panasonic source the sensor from fujifilm.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The Summiux lens has different design objectives from say the Summicron, the former is specifically designed to be used without flash in available light to capture people and the ambience or mood/bokeh at F1.4. In Contrast the Summicron F2.0 has sharp center and edge sharpness. Although the Summicron is much sharper than the Summilux, but taking pictures in available light at maximum aperture will show a significant difference between the two, with the Summilux the easy winner.
    Obviously, the tester is not aware of this.

12. yellowduck

finance
  13. ae86trueno

Sorry.. maybe Im still newbie.. do you mind to point.. why the photo is cold?

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    er... nothing. it has water and cooling in Malaysia hot sun. :p:D
    i am still under anger management. :mad:

15. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    Using my Pana. LX3 at its full intelligent auto mode :)... pic is only resized.

Attached Files:

16. Marky

Marky Regular Member

another one by my Panasonic LX3 :p

Attached Files:

17. Marky

Marky Regular Member

touch up by ps (auto adj :) ) ... the photo information is: f2.4 1/60 iso800

Attached Files:

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I like this picture. It has a very human element-the boy's focus on the shuttle and the triangle of interest formed by the boy's eyes on the bird, the "floating away" of the shuttle and the blurred movement of his racquet. All three points of interest, eyes, shuttle, and the speed movement of the racquet are well integrated. Was this intentionaly composed or was it more an accidental shot? Contrast this with some pictures that look clinically tack sharp but with players frozen in space with no relevance to the pace of the game.

19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    quite noisy at iso800.
    my guess, iso800 is only for emergency use, beyond 800 and up are not usable.

20. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thanks Master Taneepak. ... He is my little boy. It happened all kids can play in the courts. No court shoes, and every one of them have to take off their street shoes. I itched at my p&s LX3. I stood at the court side. Aim at my boy, wait the birdie fall within the picture area. So I wait and press (there were many failure actually and could not catch any of the birdie). Luckily, I get this one. I must say it is a candid shot than intentionally made up shot.

Master Drift: this is a p&s camera and far no way to compare with any of the DSLR cameras' performance.... given also that, the lighting condition is quite poor.