Bad mistake by umpire in MD final

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by Akim1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    Inthe MD final, the umpire let FHF return twice.

At 26-25 for CHN, CY served from right field to LYD. Next at 26-26 FHF returned from the right field instead of CY, and then FHF served the winning point at 27-26 from the left field.

Also the services, and the calls can be challenged. No call on CY is ridiculous and call immediately afterwards on LYD. Very decisive actions from the service judge. And impossible to see without technical help, so the judge has to rely on hunches. Very very undfortunate to have a WC final decided this way.

2. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

I believe there's something in the rules that says if the umpire does not notice that players are serving/receiving on the wrong side and the point has finished then they will fix the player positioning but NOT replay the previous point.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Good eyes..

..wow, good eyes and catch..I also didn't pay attention. The umpire probably was too tense that he lost concentration as well..wow, i've gotta re-watch the video to see what transpired..

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    akim1 is a great observer,he/she even beat chris on that,great ^^
    hope u can tell us more that we cant observe in future ya.^^
    thanks

5. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

everybody knows that CY/FHF is more powerful when CY is at the front. So this serve (which is wrong) really didn't benefit chinese pair too much...

Good eyes though!

6. ericmeiguo

ericmeiguo Regular Member

I've been waiting for the complain about a fault serve of LYD though, not this one.

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Wow, I didn't notice that also. I must download this match and re-watch again. Thanks for pointing out the bad misktake :D

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    a slow replay did show LYD serve above waist. shuttle strike after his left hand lift the shuttle above waist.
    every point after 20-20, floor mop, players tower down, drink water. umpire busy asking people to mop here and there cause both pairs keep diving. busy asking the players to stand in and continue play. the umpire just miss-up the side but did manage to track down who shall serve. :D

9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

LOL :D I think he can send an email to the BWF informing them about this mistake so that it won't be happened in the future. :D

10. markchan

markchan Regular Member

What about the service judge in the XD finals. Do u agree that Ritter Juhl's serve was double motion as indicated by the judge. I couldnt see it if it was 2x motion. Without technical help, i agree it is very subjective. I remember those days, a service judge had some kind of tool/device like a small window which they held in their hand where they will observe the serve of the player? Any one remember that?

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

good observation:) u are observant.

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I remembered when i was laughing all the way through during the md's thrillling final, i saw 1 of the line judge eventually clapping hands when china gets a point, that was when all 4 players on court played a really long and great rally,..lol. THE LINEJUDGE also clap hands!!! wkakakakakaak..this is ridiculuous!!:p:p

13. daunt

daunt Regular Member

student
    i suppose ur implying that d service judge was very bias towards to china?

14. LwW^w|n

LwW^w|n Regular Member

The rule is like this: if the players serve or receive on the wrong place of the court, their position should be corrected, and the presence score shall stand. Means, the umpire just correct the players positions but the score remain. The umpire can check the players position from the score sheet :)

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Good observation, but I think the last statement is a bit too bold. Yes, I agree the incident might put a dent on probably the greatest match of WC09 (or, year of 09). However, just say the whole game is decided on this is a bit too much. Overall, KOR also has 5 or 6 match point, but they did not capitalize it earlier.

Anyway, good catch. ;)

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    LYD/JJS, both also didnt notice.
    KOR pair should have voice it out.
    this mean, the umpire miss-notice isnt the cause LYD/JJS lose the world champ.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If what you've observed is true, then the umpire has made a mistake. He should not have because he has a detailed scoresheet to assist him on which player served last and on which side of the court. If CY last served to LYD on the right court at 26-25, then when CHN won the next rally 27-26, FHF should serve from the left court to JJS.

However, if the Koreans did not protest at 27-26 that FHF was serving from the wrong court, then the wrong positions will remain till the end of the game. :(

Of course in this case, the umpire had made a mistake but the Koreans did not protest so the result stood. A pity as it was such a good final game and any pair could win. Perhaps justice should prevail and extend the game to the last allowable point, ie, 30-29 to decide the issue! :D

18. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    wow great spot! didnt even notie it 1st time round on live telecast... adds even more drama to an already thrilling finale!

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I only heard of the service judge using a cardboard to check if the service is above waist level. Maybe yours is another tool altogether.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee

That was why I claimed it was 2 Korean players vs 3 Chinese players in other threads.