Indonesia International Challenge, 4-8 August 2009

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by chemile, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Hayom took the title. It looks like it was a walk in the park from the first round to the finals.

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Expected wins for Fransiska Ratnasari, Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka (2 titles in 3 weeks), and Hendra A. Gunawan/Alvent Yulianto Chandra (first international title as a pair for both players and it has been a long draught for Alvent who last won an int title in 2004!).

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, she decided to join PB Djarum on her own accord earlier this year and that move itself certainly showed her determination to revive her career. And indeed, the move begins to bear fruits today with an International Challenge title to show for. At least under Djarum, she will be sent to tourneys that she is at least capable of progressing far; better than first round exits everytime she enters a SS tourney.

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I saw Nana vs Fira only..so sleepy....glad that Hayom won..too bad that Fauzi retired

5. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    At the same time..she is being molded by Om Fang.
    It is funny that Kompas.com reported that Nana is one of Pratama players....:D..winning the title due to AKMIL's prgram...:rolleyes:

6. pitik

pitik Regular Member

Hi all, i'm new in here...
    I agree.
    It seems that become clearer that PBSI didn't
    have precise calculation picking the right tourney level for each.
    If some player were not yet capable in progressing further in such tournament level,
    she/he will always got punishment with almost every result as well due to punish/reward in PBSI.
    PB Djarum I think have better and wiser plan sending their players to tourneys,
    they prefer sending to GPG/GP level instead of SS considering it's better to reach QF/SF or even Final
    in GPG/GP rather than R1/R2 in SS.
    It is not good to go to tourney and lost in first appearence and then got punishment, right?

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I do not mean to criticize PBSI's tournament sending policy, but I do think that it can be planned out a lot better.

Take for example the Macau Open GP Gold, I think ALL the 3 WS players we have SHOULD NOT BE SENT to compete there at all as their results are not even good enough to be able to win an International Challenge event this week, let alone GP Gold. Moreover, from the draw, ALL 3 players have to play from qualification, out of which 2 will have to meet each-other. 1 more will meet Liu Jian and that means that at most, only 1 WS player will qualify.

Also, it DOES NOT BENEFIT players like Simon, Rian/Yoke, Nitya/Grace, Mel/Shendy, and Devin/Lita if they are sent to SS tourneys ONLY and got booted out mostly in the early rounds.

#187 badMania, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Rizky had been dropped from both tourneys due to poor result

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Lindaweni Fanetri -- R16 exit at both New Zealand GP and Indonesia Int Challenge.

Aprilia Yuswandari -- R16 exit at the New Zealand GP and R32 exit at Indonesia Int Challenge.

I will say let Lindaweni concentrate on International Series, Challenges, and GP level tourneys first for the remainder of the year. No pt sending her to GP Gold event in which she has to qualify. Quite a number of tourneys that she can participate in:
    Sep/Oct -- Li Ning Singapore Int Series, Yonex-Sunrise Vietnam Open GP
    Nov -- Malaysia Int Challenge

10. pitik

pitik Regular Member

Exactly.
    To compete in such tourney start from qualification is also not a wise plan.
    We all know that if start from qualification, players most likely to play 2-3 times a day.
    It will become worse if the tourney were held in Europe or other that more costly.
    That's probably why PBSI were running out of money at 3/4 season 2008 hehehe...
    I think that was happened to Nana in 2007 and 2008. She were hardly crawling around at qualification/first round in SS.
    Did we all realize that Firda/MKY never win a title? Even GP/GPG level. Or even Simon..
    By sending players to tourney with bigger chance to win will help to develop players confident, and combine with higher tourney level at the right time.
    I hope PBSI would take their lesson learned by looking back to 2007/2008.
    And look at Aus GP and NZ GP result. Some players successfully boost their confident with the result although probably not yet ready to win an SS.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, Simon Santoso and Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita won their first GP Gold title in the Chinese-Taipei Open 2008. But this year, no chance of them defending their titles :eek:

Again, in terms of tournament planning and sending of players, PB Djarum appears to be more competent and as a result, their players bring in better results which constitute returns on the club's investment on them.

12. pitik

pitik Regular Member

Yup. Let her also learn winning a title first at GP or lower rather than lose and lose again in qualification or first round in GPG/SS:)
    Let Febe and Djarum girls/boys stay at Djarum at least for the rest of 2009 so they could get more opportunities to compete at the right level
    I also suggest to send pratamas also to Int Series or Challenges first or some GP with better chance.
    PBSI and Djarum should also have better 'spying' strategy, Aus and NZ GP is a GP but China/Korean/Denmark/Malaysia rarely send their top or second players to this tourney, so why not take benefit from here (ranking, money and confident boost wise)

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

PB Djarum usually does their homework well and send their players to tournaments that the Pelatnas/Pratama players do not get sent to....like the Auckland International Series, Australia GP, and Laos International Challenge 2009. At the end, the players returned home with titles and valuable ranking pts.

14. pitik

pitik Regular Member

I am so curious whether PBSI have some ROI or Cost Benefit analysis or not? :p
    What I heard more often is that they keep saying about punishment if some players didn't meet target. We all know that SS only provide 8 seedings, which reflect that if we are out of luck and we didn't have good rankings, we will most likely to meet Lin Dan / LCW or other top players at first round. Then losing in R1/R2 will most likely to happen. Then it is not a wise investment for both player and organization. And the player also got punishment :( and lose chances to compete next incoming tourneys. And then got bored with retraining and deterioting motivation. More of losing investment. Then go back to Djarum to revive hehehe. What a waste of years.

15. pitik

pitik Regular Member

Oops. You're right.
    PB Djarum does their tournament sending well planned.

16. pitik

pitik Regular Member

A little disappointment with Indonesian media, they prefer to report detailed news about Tennis (event in not Masters nor Grandslam) rather that Indonesian (Djarum) players fight in some GP or lowers that oftenly came home with titles.
    Oh, I think I am so very out of topic :D. But I am glad that this Ina Int'l Challenge reported in many newspaper.

17. hhs1000

hhs1000 Regular Member

PBSI has not shown that it knows how to get out the current spell of bad results. Without any radical changes, i don't see how thing will turn around.

It is time for clubs (with Djarum leading the way) to take the lead in the revival of Indonesian badminton. Don't take the role of feeder for Pelatnas anymore. Look at the Soccer to see the success story. National team is only for main events like Thomas/Uber and Sudirman cup. Let PBSI be just administrative body (eventhough they still screw up on player registration again and again). Club should operate as profit center with all the player transfers and sponsorships and maybe TV right.

The immediate issue for the clubs is how to increase the level of players skill. We see in Djarum that the younger players progress well as they can spar with higher skilled players (Andre, Bandar Sigit, etc). But all this at the expense of the senior players such as Andre that seems to be stagnant now. Send them to many more tournaments, recall those in Pelatnas.

One good thing of PBSI now is the good number of Sirnas (this is like the annual Premier League) which is a platform for all clubs to compete. Again, immediate task is how to increase the level of competitiveness in each Sirnas to at least the level of Grand Prix.

So, what I am suggesting is not something new. All has been done and proven elsewhere with great success.

18. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

This time Pelatnas good in doubles department only. Big problems in Single coah, Pelatnas Utama and Pratama.

PBSI shoud have Single coach head with skill level same as Mr. Christian Hadinata like in double. They should search this coach in wider mind not only around his club.
    No problem if this coach is ex double coach like Mr. Atik Jauhari or Mr. Chafidz Yusuf if he/she capable for coach in Single. Another alternative is hire the experience foreign coach from China, if any money problem ask the goverment (Menpora) to help the funding.

Big different if we compare with Djarum club which coached by Mr. Fang Kai Xiang, Agus Dwi Santoso, Ellen Angelina also former Pelatnas physical trainer, Mr. Jason.

19. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yes... the only title that I know Alvent won in the past 5 years: the 2007 INA National Championships (Alvent-Luluk defeated Kido-Hendra there)... :cool:

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    The National team DID have an excellent singles coach in the past. His name was Tang Xianhu [or Tong Sinfu in some circles]. A Chinese Indonesian [from Semarang, I think]. But, INA officials somehow refuse to accept his application for citizenship... thus he had to return to China... Now he is coaching Lin Dan! :(

I miss the 1990s when INA had both Tang Xianhu (in singles) and Christian Hadinata (in doubles)... We truly ruled the badminton world then... At one point, INA had 8 MS in the Top 10 BWF rankings... EIGHT ouf of ten! :eek: And around 5 out of 10 MD. Unreal, unreal...