Returning a mid-height long serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chessmani, Jul 16, 2009.

1. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

Hi guys,

I always find myself struggling against these serves which aren't high but aren't low enough either so that I can smash them from the middle of the court.

They travel kind of fast and with a parabolic trajectory and I just can't get to the back of it fast enough. Most times all I can do is clear, but the clear is usually too short 'cause I hit the shuttle when it's past me.

Today my partner said to me: "I don't understand why high serves have to be as high as possible and fall straight down at the baseline, this not so high neither low serve looks more effective". And I was like "yeah, tell me..."

I don't know if it's my footwork, me standing too close to the service line (about 1 metre) or what! I am 176cm btw, so it can't be my height.

How do you deal with this kind of serves? Thx a lot!

2. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

You have to stand at least a foot near the service line. From there, you can cut off "flat serves" and tap / push / dribble low serves. If the service is high and near to the baseline, you have enough time to take steps backwards and make a smash, or even a drive.

3. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Since you're tall and can reach the shuttle high, its "threatening" if you stand close with your racquet raised, near the service line.

4. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    positioning ur self with respect to the shuttle is the main key to hit any sort of short, the way i deal with it is moving side ways in the direction of shuttle not back way where the shuttle's going, cuz this gives me a perfect position to catch the shuttle during its flight hence snaping it on the gound.
    another thing which is critical is stance while recieving service in doubles. let somebody check ur stance ,it'd be much easier for sombdy watchin u, to sort it out.
    hope i cleared ma point.
    ARSLAN.

5. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Half-Smash straight down or do an attacking clear works for me.

6. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

Thanks, I'll try moving sideways, might just be that. I should probably jump and smash it from the air instead of going back and waiting for it to fall, which could be why I'm always too late.

Is this kind of serve good anyway? Why are people using superhigh long serves instead of mid-height faster serves? I don't get it really :S

7. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

Thanks, I'll try moving sideways, maybe it'll solve the problem.

Is this serve good anyway? Why are people serving either very high or low, but not something in the middle which travels high but not that high that your opponent can walk to the baseline and wait for it? I play singles btw.

8. Script

Script Regular Member

The reason why they serve it as high and far as possible it's because when the birdie falls down you would hit the skirt + the cork rather than just the cork.

9. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

I have been trying all my life to get to a point where I can stand right at the service line (I speak of doubles) and still receive long serves. So far, no luck. But I HAVE managed to get within a foot of the line.

The theory, as it goes, is that if your racquet speed and footwork are good enough, it should not be possible to drive a shuttle "past" you. That is to say, unless the serve is at a height that is physically out of your reach from your original position, you should be fast enough to drive it down. After that, if the shuttle is served at a height that is physically higher than you can reach from your receiver's stance, you should (as the theory goes) have enough time to either jump or side-step back in time to smash it down.

If you can't do this, then it is merely a question of practicing footwork and racquet speed/reaction. The reason why people serve high is because, as Script said, if your opponents are good enough, they'll be able to smash your serve anyway so you might as well force them to hit the skirt. Also, it gives you more time, as the server (since I assume you stand right at the service line to serve) to back up and prepare for a cross-court smash. Remember, the less time you give them to act, the less time you give yourself to react.

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Should not involve much footwork. What's important is that the racket is raised high enough to slam down the drive.

11. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Remember it is much easier to move to the back of the court moving sideways than moving backwards. Not always possible but have ur non racket foot way forward on return of serve so its very easy to move to the back of court side on :D

12. norazlan

norazlan Regular Member

salesman
    FLEET WOVEN series

helo everybody......i been seen someone using fleet woven series racquet actually i didn't remember the series no. whether woven 999 or woven 888.........i like the design of the racquet because the frame and the shaft are made of full carbon graphite just same like what been using at the car hood(cool ha...) could somebody tell me what is the characteristic of the racquet bcoz my i heard that racquet can be strung to 33 lbs without any problem...:eek:....right now i'm still using my Ti10 at 28-30 lbs...

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Hi Norazlan, i see your new here, put this post as a new thread in the equipment section. U will get more responses that way

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Your reflex is important. Normally 1 step back, jump and whip it down. Try it regularly. Your opponent won't dare to serve high anymore. ;) If they do, most likely it will go out. ;)

15. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    If we're talking about double, and you're 5'7" and half if you like that half whatever. Then you gotta be quick, and jump back and smash right away, IF you feel comfortable with that shots only.
    If you can't do that then you shouldn't stand right at the line, just take 1 foot back give yourself more distance.
    All the tactics and strategies that you see on youtube for professionals are just for them, because they're condition are there. You should just try to find your own limit and play it from there. Then practice if you want to improve or adapt like others. Don't push yourself in game, in game play your comfortable ways. And no I don't mean just stick to your habit all the time and not improve at all. In practice or game just for FUN, push yourself, do all those kind of shots and stuffs.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It sounds as though you're describing a flick serve. Is that correct?

If so, you and your partner have analysed the situation well: high serves are not effective in doubles, but flick serves are. The flick serve gives the receiver less time and forces him to move backwards very quickly.

There's quite a lot to talk about technically, but it boils down to two main areas: learning to spring backwards quickly, and learning to hit effective forehand overheads (smashes and drops, when possible) when the shuttle is somewhat behind your body.

17. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

Well, I play singles. It's not really a flick serve, it's like a high serve but not hit a full strength so the shuttle doesn't fly as high, kind of like a lob.

I think you're totally right, I'm just not being quick enough going backwards and overhead shots are really tricky for me at this stage.

I've changed my way of receiving by standing a bit closer to the back. While I can't anticipate low serves so fast, at least I don't have problems with the high serves anymore, heh. I guess that as I train I'll gradually be able to go backwards faster.

Thx for the input!