Can anybody help me with hitting the sweetspot?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ashzoomerintrac, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ashzoomerintrac

ashzoomerintrac New Member

Student
    Hey guys i am new to forum and also to game.I have started playing badminton since a month.My main problem is that i am not able to middle the shuttle on racket while playing the shots.Is there any techinique or drill that i can perform to solve this problem? Also i would like to know any exercises i must do daily to increase my efficiency in the game; especially the footwork... Thansk a lot.

2. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

By 'middle the shuttle on racket' do you mean 'hitting the sweet spot of the racket' or something else?

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    What do you mean by "middle the shuttle on racket"?

Do you mean "hit the shuttle at the middle of your racket"?

If that's the case, you should practice your timing. You've only been playing for a month, so be patient. Eventually, you'd get to feel the racket. Think of it this way ... imagine that your racket is an extension of your hand. If you hit the shuttle, it's like hitting with your palm, only your arm is longer and your hand bigger and bouncier.

As for the drills, usually, when a beginner asks me for help, I make them hit the shuttle upward with their forehand again and again until they finish reciting the alphabet (one letter per shot). And then the backhand. And then, alternate forehand and backhand. As with the footwork, you should do shadow play. It's like dancing Cha-Cha. But the best thing to do is to get a coach to guide you.

Good luck and enjoy badminton :)

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Middling of the shuttle or Meddling of the shuttle? I don't really get what you mean. If you mean sweet spot of the string bed of a racquet, it takes some time to get used to the racquet, as well as practice.

5. ashzoomerintrac

Student
    Middling means to me hitting the sweet spot.

By middling the shuttle i mean hitting the sweet spot.I am always hittinh the shuttle at the edges of the racket.Also plz tell me about the exercises that i can perform for playing better badminton?

6. yuenie

yuenie Regular Member

Student
    Maybe just start by practicing hitting slow overheads/lobs? If it's slow, you can more easily see and time the right moment to hit the shuttle. After you don't hit the rim much anymore, then you can start clearing/driving/smashing at a quicker speed and forget the slow overheads.

7. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    One method we teach youngsters that have sweet spot problem is with a small round ballon, It teaches them eye and hand coordination on hitting correctly and then progress using wrist action and footwork

8. I<3bton

I<3bton New Member

Student
    I had the same problem when I first started palying, anyways my coach told me to use my left hand and point at the shuttle before you hit it. Furthermore, hitting it right on the sweet spot also needs good foot work to get into position for the hit. Hope this helps :)

9. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    well defined Venk, just do as he says, n eventually u'd get used to it,
    Love Badminton, n make people love it .

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yeh its more or less a timing/technique problem buddy. If youv only been playing 1 month, then i wouldn't be worrying or stressing at the moment haha

Enjoy the game and each time you play try to learn something new from watching stronger or more experienced players. Overtime as you play more you will sooth into the movements and technique differences. And hitting the sweet spot wont be a problem ;)

11. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Always look at the shuttlecock up until the point of contact. I sometimes find myself rushing to look forward right before contact and usually ends up in mishits.

Justin

12. ashzoomerintrac

Student
    Thanks a ton all you guys. I will try with the suggestions.