stronger = weaker?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigredlemon, Jan 28, 2004.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Oh that's probably why then... you're more toning the muscles (more flexibility) rather than really stressing them (more strength.) I'm closer to the 5-8 rep range with 2 to 3 sets.

2. teddy

teddy Regular Member

I have a thinking that chest muscles are not much needed in badminton.

So, i have came up with a plan that i am going to implement very soon. I would be using a machine assisting pull-ups and dips only for the arms. Thereafter, after i could do pull-ups and dips on my own, i simply stop the weight lifting and go to do pull-ups and dips. This is balanced to me as it is using body weight.

As for the problem of getting weaker in smash, i think that should solve that problem since it is using the body weight.

And as for the legs, i think just weight-lifting would be fine and would not obstruct my movement. To prevent clumsiness, after a growth to a certain mass, i would stop.

Any suggestions to improve it? Or does it help in solving the problem bigredlemon has?

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    for the legs:
    take a barbel, load it up, LOCK it, put it on your shoulders and jump. take your time to jump ie bend your knees and jump as high as you can. Land, bend and jump again. this is what the indonesians are doing

and for smashing, i dont know specifically which muscle it is using, but then i started weight lifting, my right arm can lift ard 1.5x my left in bicep curl, triceps exercises.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Also for legs, you can do lunges while holding a barbell in each hand.
    Or with full bar on your shoulders behind the head.

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i foree back injuries ahead.... don't get stapled :p

tying weights around your waist might be safer... just get thick soft rope though.

6. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

combine your weightlifting with swimming,

Freestyle technique really works the muscle groups for forehand shots & you can increase the ratio of twitch muscle.
    I found that it's really good as it's a very smooth motion & the resistance is almost constand through the stroke.

7. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

My prediction is the reason you have more powerful smashes because you swing more with your arm and not so rely on body kenetics? I tend to do that when I used to lift weights. My muscles were so tight all together that I couldn't syn with my timing. The way I smash or hit the shuttlecock were weird. More or less i was like a robot. When i smash, my leg weren't moving forward, didn't tighten my abs, didn't turn my hips and i was swing with my arm only. I stopped working out my upper body and focus on my legs. Now I move faster. Run faster. And get to the bird more quickly rather then waiting for the bird to come.