BG80 Breaks very fast

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by humsuplou, Jun 26, 2009.

1. humsuplou

humsuplou Regular Member

I have been using BG80, with the tension of 25lbs. The string doesn't last at all. I broke it twice within a week, and several time within the 1st month. I like the power of this string, but is it just me or is there anyone else have the same experience with this string???

2. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, it breaks fast... I had my NS9000 at the same string/ same tension and broke it on the same day I picked it up from restringing.

I got these strings because people say it gives more power, while the durability is somewhat good, although not as well as the BG65, but I don't know about it now :/

3. jimmycass

jimmycass Regular Member

Teacher
    Lads try BG66, very similar to BG80. I have my arc 10 strung at 26lbs with 66 and it lasts on average 3 - 4 weeks. Only once have they broken on me twice in a week. Play 5 times a week.

4. humsuplou

humsuplou Regular Member

Ok, so it's not my striniging skills then ;)
    I also string 65Ti for my friends, and heard some good things about that. Maybe I will try 65Ti before trying the bg66.
    broken every week is too costly....

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

break it twice in a week?! wow, you must be a very powerful smasher. OR something might be wrong with the string, grommets, or other factors.

I suggest you to rule out the following points before making the final conclusion:

- IF string always break at the same grommet, or area, you may have a bad grommet.

- IF the break point is always close to frame, this may be caused by mis-hits.

- IF the string is very OLD (on the shelf for too long like 2 years after manufacturing) or not stored correctly (should be in a dark, and cool place like basement), you may have this problem as well.

- since you string your own rackets, IF possible, make sure you are not creating "kinks" or "twists" during pulling the cross (assuming you are doing 2-piece, 4-knots, doing main-string first technique). also, make sure your clamps are free of sharp edges or applying them correctly during stringing process.

- after the racket is strung, visually check each string for "frayed" string or discolored spots (caused by twisted string).

from my own experience, my BG80 string (26x28lbs) will last minimum 4 months, and often time I fed up with the feel after a while and cut it myself. For your info, I do stringing myself, and I play about 3 hours every week. I consider my smash power as average+ level.

Hope this helps.

6. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Because the BG65Ti will last a lot longer, you will probably dislike the tension after a long use. So I recommend to just stick with BG65.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BG66 is even more fragile than BG80.

Dunmaster has the right response. while not the most durable string, BG80 is also no where near the most fragile, either he is way too powerful, or something else is wrong.

8. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

I thought BG85 breaks faster than BG80? Probably your stringing, just what dunmaster said :V

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    1st of all, funny username that you have. is it in cantonese pronunciation?

i dont think that you are using plastic shuttle. may due to;
    1. hard mis-hit
    2. grommets are not in good condition

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Agree with drifit.

One of my friend's BG80 didn't even last 1 month. I've seen that his racquet's string near the head of the frame (top) have strings twisting in very weird way, and it's not overlapped by another string. I've played with him and seen him play and I realize he has really hard mishits. Funny that the sweetspot didn't have many loosen strings...:D:D

11. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    You should not expect any prolonged durability when stringing 24+ pounds with any kind of string.

12. humsuplou

humsuplou Regular Member

dunmaster,
    That's why i posted this, because I wasn't sure whether it is solely because of my stringing skills. But on the other hand, all the 65Ti that I strung last much longer. But I will pay close attention to those twists, if there are any. I jusT feel that the bg 80 is way more fragile than the 65Ti.
    BUt I don't think the BG80 will last Minimum 4 months...that's never going happen for me.
    Thanks for the inputs!

13. humsuplou

humsuplou Regular Member

But isn't BG65 is not as powerful as BG65Ti?

14. humsuplou

humsuplou Regular Member

Hehe..I'm a very humsuplou, that's why:p
    Mishits could be one of the reason.

15. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    BG80 is still my favourite string even having tried a lot of the new ones. Durabilty should not be as bad as you state.

During the season I play 10+ hours a week and I'm a pretty hard hitter it will last me at least 3-4 weeks. My BG80 strings have never broken prematurely without wearing thin in the centre first, it always breaks in the middle.

Other than what has already been suggested, only other thing I can think of is to be careful when you pull string through a grommit shared with another section of string, pull slowly to avoid to much friction wearing the string at the point of the grommit.

16. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    You will be amazed by how much more durable strings can be when you take it slow during stringing by pulling + feeding the string to reduce friction, also, prevent the string from twisting when you pull the string. I've noticed that people who get their racket strung at the shops will not last as long, because those turbo stringers go for speed, not quality.

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

My strings do not usually snap. I change them when they start to feel dead between 4-6 months. I string my rackets 26-28lbs (depending on racket). I play between 5-8 hours weekly and rotate between the 2 (now 3) rackets quite a bit.

btw, what ArDan says about turbo stringing is especially true for BG80 since it is a fairly rough string.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

omg, i just strung my racket with bg-80..
    don't scare me:(

19. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I don't think BG80 fragile at all, I remember when I first had it at 23lbs on my Ti-10 the string was a beast. At that time, I did a lot of smashing and slice drop causing the plastic protector to rip into halves but the true string still lasted me for 2 more sessions with (3 hours each). To hamsuplou, i think you should try other stringers around your area to see if it's really the strings that don't last or maybe you are too strong.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I've used BG65 (way back then), BG80 and BG85 a lot. Based on personaly experience (all strung around 23, 24lb range on Cab30ms), BG85 last me about 15-20 hours of playing time, BG80 is about 30-40 hours, and BG65 is about 70-80 hours.

The thinner the string, the more care it requires from stringing, and could be a prone due to mis-hit or simply powerful strokes.