India Coming Up As A Super Power

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009' started by sandy_bkk, Jun 21, 2009.

1. sandy_bkk

sandy_bkk Regular Member

Saina Nehwal clinches Indonesian Open

Ace woman shuttler Saina Nehwal today scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament after she clinched the Indonesian Open title with a stunning victory over higher ranked Chinese Lin Wang

ITS NICE TO SEE NEW FACES COMING UP ON THE PODIUM TO GET THE PRIZE & HONOR.

2. badmad

badmad Regular Member

what a pleaseant surprise!!! I didn't watch the match but i can comfortably say that it won't have been easy final at Indonesia Open. Good to see saina making upward progress and hope that she continues it for some time..

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As always madbad follows badmad :D

I watched the match and after a nervous start, Saina slowly grew in confidence. Once she got that "CHN is invincible" thought out of her head, she simply outhustled WL. In particular, Saina was dominant at the net catching WL out on numerous occasions. Once Saina started returning everything WL threw at her, it was game over. WL became one dimensional and clearly ran out of ideas.

I hope Saina can give her home fans something to shout about in the upcoming World Championships. Exciting times indeed!

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hope saina can win the wc this year,come on,made india big again in baddy:D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Good win before the big tourney..

..let's see what Saina has in store for her supporters in the upcoming World Championships..Best wishes to her!:cool:

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    At this moment, India has but one long-range missile in its badminton armoury - Saina Nehwal.

The others - Chetan Anand, Anup Sridhar, Arvind Bhat, Diju V and a clutch of new faces - haven't shown yet that they are dependable long-range weapons.

I would say the thread's title is misplaced.
    One missile doesn't make a super power :eek:

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

But as you know, all you need is one long range strike to draw the attention of the world.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

With the coaching aid from Atik Jauhari and a couple of other experienced ones like P. Gopichand, Saina Nehwal should rise up to become one of the top players in the World. She has shown her talent as early as 3 years ago when I watched her play in the Singapore Open.

This year, she lost to:
    Wang Lin -- Singapore SS QF
    Jiang Yanjiao -- Badminton Asia Championships R32
    Julia Wong -- India GP Gold QF
    Lu Lan -- Wilson SS QF
    Pi Hongyan -- All-England SS R32 & Malaysia SS QF
    Adriyanti Firdasari -- Korea SS R16

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

SN raise,.....makes me missed Julia Wong so much,...if she didnt got injured in Sudirman Cup....TT........i think she could be like SN now......I pray for her speedy recovery......

10. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I think it's good for badminton in India, but too early to label them superpower.

Although they have already produced world class player like Prakash Padukone and P Gopichand, what they lack is depth in the national team.

Thailand is similar, they have Boonsak who have won one superseries title before, but they are still not a superpower. :D

Top tier superpower is still China and arguably Indonesia(although sadly declining).

2nd tier power is Korea, Malaysia and maybe Denmark

3rd tier badminton nations are England, Thailand, Taiwan and Japan

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, the BA setup and control in India does not yet make it easy to produce many top class players all at one time.

They have quite a number of academies, some of which under Prakash Padukone, some under Gopichand, some others but to have consistency in goals is very difficult when there is no single strong and respected coordinator. The situation is a bit too democratic, so anyone can do as he wishes there.

When I was at India Open, suggested to our Indian BC guys that maybe the Indian BA should be less democratic and have more clout to tell the training academies to follow a single strategy, share resources, develop potential etc.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Actually, I'd think that Indian badminton's purpose would be better served if the Badminton Association of India were NOT to tell the training academies what to do.

The resurgence in Indian badminton is not because of the BAI, but in spite of it. :eek:

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

her smashing power is superb:cool:
    plus the LUCK was on her side in yesterday's final..lol:D amazing..she's got so much luck..;)

14. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

Fantastic victory..There was no feed here in Canada so missed out.India has only managed to produce 1 extra ordinary talent every once in a while but that will never allow India to be a dominant force.India will need a string of match winners at any given time to be reckoned as a "FORCE" in Badminton.

On a separate note, does anyone has link where I can see the matches or atleast highlights?

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, that's what I was told too. But unless badminton is more an individual sport (like tennis) and not associations based sport (like now), rectifying BAI or at least having a mission champion that can promote common understanding and goals is vital.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

See this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71895

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    :D :D :D ha ha ha, are you comparing India as the North Korea of Badminton? :p Just kidding....

Hey, India had 3 long-range missiles in badminton history: Prakash Padukone, Pullela Gopichan, and now Saina Nehwal... :cool: Oh, they also have at least 3 explosive bombshells: Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra, and Malika Sherawat... :cool: Just google them to find out India's firepower...

18. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

19. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Its also on youtube already. Someone uploaded the match in 7 parts. You can search it there.

Here is part 6, where Saina finishing the game. (part 7 is medal ceremony).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljro16nrl4E&feature=channel_page

20. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Singapore Vs India: India won undisputed

Xing Aiying, greatly admired by our uncle Loh, came to badminton scene just about Saina of India and they are about the same age too. Xing can't beat Saina when they played at World Junior Championship a couple of years back. Now Saina has a SS title under her belt while Xing still couldn't win a SEA games gold in WS:crying::confused::rolleyes::(:eek::mad:
    Hehehe, look for Team SIN to send all their shuttlers to this year's New Zealand Open:p:):rolleyes::D