From Japan

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Miyuki, Apr 4, 2005.

1. tw1984

tw1984 New Member

Teacher
    Hi Miyuki,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can play anytime, as I am waiting for my visa to be organized. So I have lots of free time.

I played all the way through school and University. But I haven't played for 3 years now. I was a team player in England. I'm not to sure what the standard is to be honest. Probably experienced average.

I would be traveling by train or bus at the moment.

My nearest station is Fukuyama station, it is Hiroshima prefecture.

Thanks for your help

Paul

2. tw1984

tw1984 New Member

Teacher
    Hi Miyuki,

I can play at any time, as I am waiting for my visa to come through. So I have lots of free time.

I would get there by train or bus. My nearest station is Fukuyama station. It is in Hiroshima prefecture.

I played all through school and University, but I haven't played for 3 years now. My level is probably a experienced average. But not too sure. I played for a league team in England.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

3. Bm_suki82

Bm_suki82 New Member

IT
    Hello Miyuki-san

I stay near shinkoyasu station which is just 2 stations from kawasaki.

I would like to join your club and continue playing.

Can you please give me the details of your club and the procedure to become a member of the same.

Regard's
    vikas

4. Catz81

Catz81 New Member

teacher
    Hi all! I've been living and working in Japan since August 2008 and I'm still looking for somewhere to play. I live in the Chiba Prefecture. Does anybody know of any clubs I can join in the area? I'm from the UK and I speak some Japanese (but not fluent enough).

I'll be happy if anybody could help me.

Thank you :)

5. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi,Catz
    There are many place to play in Chiba, but it depend on the area.
    Which station is closest to your place?
    e-mail me as okappa1204@yahoo.co.jp

and let me know when you can play.

talk to you later
    miyuki

6. nrappa

nrappa Regular Member

Miyuki san,

I am living in HikariGaoka, Nerima Ku. Do you know any Badminton schools/clubs coaching kids? I want to enroll my daughter aged 9 years she is attending Japanese school so language is not a problem.

thank you.

7. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    Hey Miyuki san , i will stay near shinjuku takadanobaba station is there any badminton club to play near there.. i am intermediate advanced level

Thanks

8. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi,

There is a public sports center near Waseda university,Takadanobaba.
    It is held a badminton day , I think Tuesday and Thursday. I think there are some players at night time. Don't you try to join there?

If you can play at daytime, let me know. I heard my friend play there in the afternoon.

talk to you later
    Miyuki

9. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    really miyuki that would be nice. I can play anytime i will stay a month on vacation during june 25 www. Can you give me more information miyuki. Keep me update :)

10. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

hi,
    If possible, do you give me a mail to my PC address as okappa1204@yahoo.co.jp

I will ask my friend and if he go to the gym tomorrow, I will ask him to send a mail to you. You had better talking with him because he know the gym better than me.

talk to you later
    Miyuki

11. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student

alright i sent to you already

12. tallgeese_2000

tallgeese_2000 Regular Member

Hi, Miyuki,

I will move to Tokyo for work in late Sept for at least 2 yrs and would like to find some badminton games around Shinjuku. Do you have any suggestions? I play average but I have not played for nearly 2 years. And I cannot speak Japanese although I am trying hard to learn some before I reach.
    Thanks for your kindly help :)

William

13. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi,William

We play badminton in Shibuya (3stops from Shinjuku) on Sunday morning.
    Some members can use English. There are players from beginner to advanced.

If you can join us, let me know.
    See you soon
    Miyuki

14. tallgeese_2000

tallgeese_2000 Regular Member

Hi, Miyuki

Thanks for your quick reply. I am looking forward to play with you guys once i settle. How could I contact you? You can be reached in this forum, right? Thanks.

William

15. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi,William

e-mail me to my PC : okappa1204@yahoo.co.jp

If you are ok, I will add you on our mailing list. We inform the date of badminton session on the ML. And when you settle your life in Japan, you can join it anytime you want.

If you don't want to join the ML, tell me when you can join.

When you write here, I can also reach here because this website send a mail to me as someone write here.

There are badminton shops in Shibuya and Shinjuku.
    If you want some, I can take you there or give you a map.

Talk to you later
    Miyuki

16. freefall

freefall New Member

I.T.
    Hello, are there any badminton courts/groups in fukuoka, japan? or anywhere near fukuoka? I was thinking if I accept to stay in japan for a year, I might as well look for a badminton group here.

17. Dancestar

Dancestar Regular Member

IT Bridge Engineer
    Sorry Miyuki-san

Important :crying:

It is very important to note that the system in Japan is not very good for badminton.
    When I say not good I mean NOT USER FRIENDLY for badminton.
    I recommend not to take Miyuki's advice as the last word as to how to play and enjoy badminton in Tokyo.

Most courts are overly managed and there are no club facilities and dedicated courts for badminton except for maybe a couple embassy's (to the best of my knowledge).

Japanese courts are well maintained but they are very picky about indoor shoes. You cannot leave your door and expect to play in those same shoes. Be sure to bring your indoor gym shoes in a separate bag. They will check it at most facilities.

Courts are mostly public city/ward courts
    or courts on elementary school courts on evenings and weekends.

Public courts usually have no system. If you go by yourself you may not get a chance to play. I know even in the US, if you are waiting on the court either by yourself or a pair or 4 of you after the previous game is finished the next group comes on. This is not the case in Japan.
    If you do not know someone they will be hesitant to play with you and allow you join their court.
    If there is a coordinator (shido-in) they often use a lotto system and in this case in particular you will find it difficult to find someone to play with (of your level in particular).
    The challenge system is virtually unheard of here.

Most public courts are monopolized by a single club:eek:

The elementary school courts are usually small clubs. The clubs have a coordinator that may or may not arrange matches according to level.
    Sometimes they have dues or you may just pay every time. Most do not allow anyone that they don't know but I suggest you ask if you can join.

What to do!?
    I recommend to try making friends with a few clubs. Clubs are limited to days they have access to facilities. The facilities rotate the schedule amongst other activities, clubs and groups so they usually only have fixed days. The more clubs you have a relationship with the better.

Try to make as many local badminton friends as possible as soon as possible.

Go to courts in pairs or groups of 4. Japan rarely allows singles play. Only in very early hours of the session or the last 10 min.

Find a group where foreigners are active. Chinese, Malay, etc are avid players and usually congregate at the more friendly clubs.

If you need specific recommendations please send me a message. I can recommend places where the level is pretty advanced near Shinjuku that has a very open environment.

18. nrappa

nrappa Regular Member

Dancestar,
    where are you playing?
    Atleat in Nerima ku where i am playing regularly for the last one year, i like the system they manage the courts. I agree if you are alone its difficult to get a slot or join with the groups already playing. In Nerima ku public gyms they release the games schedule before 2 months. check the schedule and go there with your group(atleast 2 members) and they allot slots first come first serve. depending on the facility its either one hour slot or 3 hours slot. If you can go early you are sure to get the slot.

19. Dancestar

Dancestar Regular Member

IT Bridge Engineer
    Hi Nrappa,

I play at the genki-kan in Shinjuku (Okubo/Takadanobaba) amongst various places.
    Thank you for mentioning the rental of courts. I forgot touch on this. I have not done this myself but the clubs I attend do that regularly.
    But I do know that certain slots are usually monopolized as various clubs have their fixed days.
    I know this because my club is there every week, same time, same place. Reason is because it has been pre-negotiated with the other clubs. It is extremely hard to grab any of these fixed time slots.

#179 Dancestar, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  20. nrappa

nrappa Regular Member

>>But I do know that certain slots are usually monopolized as various clubs have their fixed days.
    even we can form a team with atleast 10 members(atleast 5 members living in the same ward where the facility is located) and register the team, we can apply for the time slots. If there are no other teams applying during the same time slot you are usually allotted the time slot.In case there are more than one team applying for the same time solt they pick the draw. May be in that genki-kan gym no other badminton club is active or they are working with mutual understanding:)

In my office we have footsal team and i came to know about this process from them.