Any basketball fans here?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Phil, May 20, 2003.

1. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

Pretty disappointed to see the Lakers losing by so much points. I agree with Qidong. Kobe's teammates need to step up. Basketball is a team sport afterall. Its not easy for the Lakers to win. Look at the Celtic's lineup. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and KG.Come on. Its a strong team. Rondo is just a ROOKIE PG. He's gonna improve a lot next year. He still has a lot to learn. I would like to see the Celtics and Lakers go at it for the championship again next year. :D Lakers with Andrew Bynum of course.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^AMEN, Bruthaa!!...^^

...you got that straight!! Even before the series started, everyone knows which team was going to win, yet i don't know why some so called "experts" picked the Lakers as the favorites (heck, even from last yr, in June when the Celtics signed those 2 hall-of-famers, they were automatically became the favorite to reach the Finals and even win it all)..Yeah, that's what i, personally, want to witness also: a rematch, next yr..Both teams playing, again, w/ full strength teams...Of course, there's no guarantee that chance will happen, again...:p
    *Here in SoCal, L.A., today, all the talk on the sports talk radios was about the ending of last night's Game 6...Lakers fans were crying, whining, blaming, you name it you got it...:cool:
    **Rondo is not a rookie. And he can't play well on the road. He's also not a playmaker, more like a Smush Parker type player.

#102 ctjcad, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Before we forecast another LAL vs. BOS final in 2009, let's see whether the LAL can even return to final 1st. The wild wild west is too competitive, and even 48 Ws don't gurantee a playoff spot. Just imagine how the west will look, as the NOR will be more experienced, SAS can boost the lineup with another 1 or 2 decent role players. Yeah, you can say the Mavs and Suns might go down, but who knows 1 more season of work can bring what to the team, or they still have assets to create another trade? (looking at A.I). Hey, Yao will be back too. :p

Andrew Bynum will be back, but let's hope he's not another Eddie Curry. Within his entire career, AB only played about 30-40 decent games, and never been proved when it counts (playoff, etc). Also, just put a few good players together, does not guarantee a win, otherwise, the mailman and GP should have at least 1 or 2 rings when they retire. How to utilize Pau G. and AB, and Kobe together, it's up to the air. Pau G. can be a beast and give you 20/10 night in and out, if he's the man. However, if you put him on the side, and let him be the 3rd or even 4th option, I wonder how he can perform in an effective way.

One thing for sure, the wild wild west will be even more interesting to watch. And as long as you don't have 55 Ws, you won't automatically given a playoff ticket, until the last week or so. ;)

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^The way i look at this..^^

...LazyBuddy, what you wrote, overall, i concur...;)

But here's my take:
    -The Lakers became the top team in the Western Conf., playing WITHOUT Bynum for more than half the season..
    -The Lakers went to the Finals, WITHOUT Bynum..
    -The Lakers could've actually activated and played Bynum in the Playoffs, IF they wanted to, but decided not to. He is their long term investment; sacrifice this yr for the future.
    -The Lakers lost the Finals, 2 short wins vs. the Celtics WITHOUT Bynum..

Gasol's trade was kind of lucky and somewhat resulted as a blessing in disguise after Bynum went down. I think Gasol, against most other teams will flourish. But not against a team with an inside presence like the Celtics had this yr. He's definitely not a Center material. But with Bynum in there, i think Gasol understands that he can't do it all & needs another bigger body to help him flourish.

With that said, i concur about the prospect of how A-Bomb (Bynum's nickname) and Gasol would work together in the post for this upcoming season. So, i'd give them another chance, this upcoming season (with the hope everyone stays healthy the whole season *cross fingers*), to play as a team and see where they'll end up at the end of next season.

As for the Western Conference's top challengers, IMO, here are the top 4. I'd consider the first 2 teams as the main challengers for the Lakers:
    1. Blazers, young team, lots of upside (esp. with Oden coming back, but depends on how he'll adapt to the NBA game and what kind of presence he'll bring)
    2. Spurs (i'm expecting a healthy Ginobili back) to still be the one of the top challengers to the Lakers.

3. Hornets, if they still retain the same players and lineup, i doubt they'll get over the hump. However, if they add 1 or 2 more pieces, then i'd consider them as challenger.
    4. Jazz. Same as the Hornets. Same team/lineup, same result. If they upgrade the team/lineup, then can be considered as challenger.
    5. Rockets. Still have Yao in there. Depending on who else they'll bring in to help.

*Payton won a title already, with Snaq-fu & Heat in 2006.
    **Eddy Curry never had a double double stats in his career. He also never reached 1.5 blocks per game the whole season. When Bynum went down, he was already averaging double-double and over 2 blocks per game.
    ***As for Celtics, as far as i can see, they've won this yr's title with 3 possible future hall-of-famers. 2 of them finally realized & decided to join forces together. For me, personally, i consider them as just piggy-backing a much better one on one player, who never had the inside presence like KG, in Pierce. Nonetheless, i'd give them credit for being hungry and committed and they took advantage, as this yr could be their only window of opportunity to win the title.
    Next yr, the Celtics could be back, but will be hard pressed to repeat what they've done this yr (older bodies/legs and Pierce will most likely undergo a knee surgery soon; add to that other Eastern Conference teams will improve as well)...

Anyway, looking fw to more excitement in the 2008-2009 season!!:cool:

#104 ctjcad, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Lakers lost mainly Celtics played more physically. They stopped Kobe by doubling teaming him and the rest of teammates didn't step up. I don't think they had confidence because they kept looking to pass the ball to Kobe even they were open. Paul G showed that he couldn't handle KG. But if there is a Bynum behind him blocking shots and getting the rebound, it will be a different story. Considering there are 2 seven footers screening for Kobe, he can get more open shots. I don't think anyone can challenge Celtics next year in the eastern conference. For the western conference, the Spurs dynasty could be over because Duncan is past his peak. It's difficult to win the championship with only 2 out-standing guards unless they are MJ and Pippen. Phoenix is just not a playoff team. Yao is just too soft. The only team I think that can challenge Lakers is New Orleans, but they may still be 1 or 2 years away. So I'm looking forward to have a Celtics/Lakers rematch, and ABC should be happy too.

6. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    How about them Mavericks, huh!!!!

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^They could've swept the Spuhs..^^

..anyway, hope they will kick the you-know-what out of them Nuggets in the 2nd round...

8. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    The chances are looking bleak. But you never know, we might get lucky & win this series!!!!
    GO MAVS..............

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

haiya, la lakers lost the 1st game at home..

10. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Go Yao Ming, time to kick some lakers' butt. :D

11. george@chongwei

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I miss michael jordan... ;)

15. george@chongwei

woohoo. to the finals now!!!
    gogogo lakers!:)

16. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

Go Orlando Magic!!!

You can do it!!!

:) :) :)

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    kobe the man.... ;) Michael Jordan part 2. Close lah...

18. george@chongwei

yes, ya right! kobe is the man!!
    lakers are currently trashing the magics now:D;)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

15th...

...and as usual, after the win, the highly hyped-up Lakers fanatics (yes, the local Angelinos and most of them are Latinos) had to put on an embarrassing post-game, party celebration by being unruly, creating mayhem, havoc and doing vandalism, looting and the likes along the way...eerily ala 2000!!...*shame, shame*:crying::eek::(

..thank you Jazz, Rockets, Nuggets and Magic for showing up...

..this title is esp. dedicated to the late Chick Hearn..

..a rumor around the league has it LeBroom James is trying to get Snaq Diesel outta the Sunnies to join forces next season..

..and a possible new Lakers Dynasty could be brewing..;)

..now on to the parade!!........:cool:

#119 ctjcad, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  20. george@chongwei