How is badminton going for you?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Deathsticks, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    What makes you say that (other than your clear and smash)?

2. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

It feels horrible right now. Just returned from a trip to SF (am from belgium) and had a tournament 2 weeks ago at which i had to forfait doubles due to being sick. That day my doubles partner won both double (with a new partner) and single. During my holiday he played with another friend of ours at a tournament and they won doubles there too.

I dont really envy them as much as i hate the fact that i'm yet again the last of the pack. I'm right now at that point at which you have the feeling you hit the limit of your own possibilities.

So yeah, my mood and motivation are dead right now :p.

3. binton

binton New Member

Like my expectations were so high even the kids on the team thought i would do better but im just doing awful for some reason so many stupid plays I make. But my drops and serves are pretty good. But im gonna keep trying

#23 binton, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Haven't played in 2 weeks due to a stomach cramp... apparently playing after eating 2 double cheeseburgers isn't a good idea... =P

5. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

no; though that would definitely have been a better reason! :p

I tripped while running down the stands in a stadium...

6. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

maybe you should treat your situation as a challenge you must meet...

7. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Right now I feel pretty stagnant in terms of skill improvement. I'm working out and doing conditioning more frequently though, so hopefully I am improving physically. I was also recently elected as the president of my school's badminton club for next year, so hopefully I will have the time to focus on improving myself as well as managing everything.

I am also going to China this summer for a 4-week badminton camp! Wahoo

8. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

wow thats great
    what would you have to do as president? coaching?

9. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Yeah. My initial reaction (envy, irritation) has by now shifted towards treating it as a serious challenge. I have already made some rough planning on maximizing and improving my abilities :).

10. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Thanks! As president, I would have to basically oversee every aspect of the club, from tryouts to funding to practices to meetings with our athletic director, etc. It's quite annoying how much procedure there is here, you basically need to contact the athletic director for permission to do anything save going to the bathroom (and even for that I'm not sure :rolleyes:). There are forms to be filled out for travel, equipment, reimbursement, semester reports, tryouts, future elections, etc... Actually it seems the badminton club at my school has had a 20-30 year history, which was shattered by last year's president who got the club put on probation for the first time in history. So this year we started out with $0 of funding and had to work hard to get off probation, and our budget allocations for next year are very slim so far.

We're also looking for a coach, so if you know of any coaches in the Philadelphia region... let me know! Currently at practice I am doing some informal coaching when I am taking a rest from play, but I don't want to spend all practice doing that since I want to train too (and it will benefit the team a good deal if I train because I've played as our team's first or second seed at every tournament and match this year).

11. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    That's pretty intense.
    I'm quite jealous.

12. Evilmuffin

Evilmuffin New Member

I haven't play for 17 years, so my body hurts....A LOT.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Even though I'm a single player, but sometimes a also play competitively in double and mixed until my old time partner double injured himself while playing.....
    .. and now I'm concentrating back in mixed.. if my female partner has some free time...which surprisingly she has:)....
    ..and now i also cannot play mixed coz my my wife feels "injured" every time she watch me play mixed with my female companion!:confused:..........(i think i just should stick doing gardening at the first place:rolleyes:)...

14. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Badminton is going pretty well, I play 4 - 6 times a week. I get coached most weeks atleast once if not twice a week. This is the best I have ever been. Am playing very well, I play better in my matches than practice :p.

Am hoping to upgrade next season to a higher grade. For I am def up there at my current grade.

15. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Badminton is going fine, I play 5 times a week. My only problem is that my right shoulder now looks fa bigger than the left. I'm becoming lop-sided!

I keep thniking about going to some place no one knows me, telling them I just started in badminton and playing left handed!