Got serving rule question...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Raygun26, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Raygun26

Raygun26 Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys I've recently gone into some minor play in mixed doubles and want to understand some of the rules more closely.

My first question is after the first rally the winning side gets to serve and it goes to the person on the right, right?

Also, another question is who serves when someone gets a point. So when the score is odd it goes to the person on the left and when it's even it goes to the person on the right? And what score are we looking at, like is it looking at the number that "you" have or the totol number of points of your opponents plus yours. I know this is kinda confusing and I hope you guys understand but I really want to know.

And if you serve and it hits the net or goes out of bounds then is it a point for the other team or does it just switch possessions?

And last question, only for serves during a (mixed) doubles match, is the out of bounds the first line or the second line, just for serves.

Please if anyone knows the answers to these questions please explain, thanks!

2. fan

fan Regular Member

Same person serves when his/her team wins the point.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

hope that helped. and check to make sure. I could be wrong.

4. Raygun26

Raygun26 Regular Member

Student
    ^OK, thanks you for taking the time to read everything and answering my questions:)

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

OH SHoot.
    i forgot to ask whether you play rally scoring or old system. the one i told you was rally scoring. if its old system, its a whole 'nother game.

#5 jymbalaya, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. Raygun26

Raygun26 Regular Member

Student
    I think i'm playing rally scoring since i have graced the surface of it and u able to
    comprehend to what i was saying
    . but how different is the old system, since i'm clueless on what it is again.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    The old system is totally different. You only get to score when its your serve. There are 1st and 2nd servers, except at the very beginning of the game wherein the very first team to serve gets to only serve once, after which, the 2nd server comes to play. There's also a base player (usually the girl in mixed doubles) who's the marker which positions the 2 players should take, i.e., if the score is even, the base player should be on the right, and if odd, the base player should be on the left. During change of service (meaning transfer of service form one team to the other), the 1st server should always be the player on the right.

The service rules are the same with the rally point system, i.e., neither short nor long service is allowed.

If this is confusing for you, better stick to the rally-point system. :D

8. Raygun26

Raygun26 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I am playing rally point system.

To those who helped me thank you, it is greatly appreciated :)

9. supralover23

supralover23 Regular Member

If you are already serving and you get a point, you continue to serve until you lose a rally, serving from the opposite side after each point.

After losing a rally, which opponent serves is determined by the score, as stated in previous posts.