Does adding 4 inches to length of court matter?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by fan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. fan

fan Regular Member

Is it important to you, serious and recreational players, that the court length (or size) is conforming to the official court length? This is an indoor court.

2. akrylik

akrylik New Member

yes offcourse.......

3. fan

fan Regular Member

It is important to me. For one, most of the out of bound shots landed no more than a couple inches outside of the line.

4. fan

fan Regular Member

Some reasons it is not important, I heard
    1.It is not important, because only a couple inches, it won’t make much different.
    2.It we play at a longer court all the time, than it should be Ok. We get use to it. In fact, we have home court advantage when playing players from outside.

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    1) Yep, only a couple of inches, doesn't make much of a difference. Hey, you know what else won't make much of a difference? Adding 4 more inches to the court length. And, oh! After that, we should add 5 more inches, since 4 obviously didn't matter.

2) I like your thinking, I've always said that people should cheat to win. In fact, I always try to sneak laxatives into my opponent's drink bottles before I play them. Besides, it makes perfect sense to get used to the only non-standard sized court in the world and be at a disadvantage when you play anywhere else.

6. fan

fan Regular Member

I am involving in laying out 6 indoor courts recently. The gym manager wants to extend the length a couple inches at each end of the court to match the lines of basketball court. I try to convince him not to do that, but it is not working. I need more reasons to convince him, and time is running out.

I know he will listen, but how can you tell someone does not know much about badminton that couple inches really matter (or does not matter)?

7. akrylik

akrylik New Member

If you play at even a semi-professional levels you know the shuttle projectiles that will land outside the lines. Adding a few inches changes your estimation greatly.

8. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I see, then I apologize for my earlier sarcasm.

How are the 6 badminton courts arranged on the basketball courts? One thing you can argue is that it would make more sense to move the basketball court lines, since that does not matter.

Badminton court: 44ft by 20ft
    NBA basketball court: 94ft by 50ft
    FIBA basketball court: 91.86ft by 49.21ft (28m by 15m)
    High school basketball court: 84ft by 50ft

source

9. fan

fan Regular Member

Couple inches does mess up the judgments of serious players.

Serious or non serious:
    Would you feel uncomfortable knowing you play at a court that is 4 inches longer?
    Would you avoid playing at such court?
    Would you feel it will mess up your game if you play at such court long enough?

10. fan

fan Regular Member

I believe the width of the basketball court is not standard. The width is just 44’4-5”

We try to fit 3 badminton courts in one basketball court.

11. fan

fan Regular Member

One of the concerns is that there will be too many lines on the court. It can be a little confusing.

Which is more confusing to you, non standard size court or two lines, one for basketball and one for badminton, that so close to each other?

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    the court needs to conform to international standard size. the height of net too. we cant just simply add here and less there. ask your manager, can we add 40m to the track field? just ask 10% extra.....:rolleyes:

btw, please ensure its squareness too. ;)

13. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Obviously if you're playing tournaments it matters. The average recreational player probably won't really be affected much.
    If nobody told them, they probably wouldn't even notice - if they are told though, I'm sure they'll use it as an excuse every single time they lose a game / play a bad shot.
    Personally, I think I'd find it less annoying than low ceilings (which may be a problem for you too - how high will the basketball boards fold up?).

#13 Sketchy, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  14. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    To be expected I guess, not a lot of school basketball courts are standard. Even if it's tongue-in-cheek, I think you should at least suggest to the gym manager that he move the basketball court lines to fit the badminton court.

I don't think anyone here will say "no" to any of these three questions. That's because of the base difference between badminton and basketball.

In badminton, you aim to hit for the ground within the court on your opponent's side. In basketball, you aim for the metal basket in the air. The one rigid standard in basketball is that the basket is always 10 feet off the ground, that's because all the players aim for it. By the same reasoning, badminton players aim for the lines of the court and changing the court dimensions would be detrimental.

That's why there's so much variation in the basketball court sizes, because it's really not an important part of the game (doesn't affect the score).

15. fan

fan Regular Member

Good point, length in badminton is much more important than width in basketball.

16. fan

fan Regular Member

I also think a lot of casual players probably wouldn't care about that 4 inches. Maybe it is more for the advance players.

The high is not a problem. There is a track around the basketball court so some room around the court. The basketball boards are designed in a way that it can be folded away from the court. It won get in the way even it cannot be fold that high.

17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm a serious player and I'd answer yes to all three. Low ceilings/stuff on the ceiling really annoys me too.

I play both sports in question to a high level and agree with you sort of. I agree that a badminton player would be more affected than a basketball player but some B-ball players (guards mainly) like to dribble drive down the flanks. The lessened width of the court may damage this playing style as they'll have less space to operate within. I didn't explain that well but I hope you know what I mean.

18. fan

fan Regular Member

yeah, did not think in perspective of a point guard. I did think that will make the 3 point line non standard and it properly affects the 3 pointer more.

19. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Less space? How much less? fan has already said that the courts are non-standard, at about 5'6" narrower than standard. There's a lot of differences between NBA and FIBA court sizes, three-point lines, shape of the key, etc.. There's a lot less adjusting for basketball, since dribbling in a larger or smaller space doesn't score any points.

20. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    True but indirectly, it could lead to points being scored. Anyway, I think we both agree that the difference would be most felt by the badminton players and so, the badminton courts should take priority.